Experimenting with cottage cheese

Options
I like cottage cheese; fat free, low fat, 2% and 4%. Right now I'm consuming fat free to maximize the qualities : calories ratio!! I've been mixing in different additives for variety. So far I've tried tomatoes (yum), pineapple (yum), shredded carrots (ok), and blueberries (yuk)! What, if anything, do you all like mixed in with your cottage cheese?
I do the same with yogurt; a few crumbled pretzels is my favorite! Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, kiwi, pineapple, Cheerios, etc!!!!

Replies

• rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tuna with a dash of relish for tuna salad... plums go really good, as well as lemon pepper chicken... pork not so much.
  • KyriaCathy
    KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    Tuna with a dash of relish for tuna salad... plums go really good, as well as lemon pepper chicken... pork not so much.
    Hmm…never thought about combining either one with meat. Now that you mention it; this makes perfect sense as a substitute for Mayo!!! Duh, where have I been all this time!?!?!?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I've mixed hummus with my cottage cheese, super yummy, and sometimes I add Trader Joe's frozen dark cherries. I like chopped green onions in my cottage cheese too.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Green seedless grapes, but I would love some more savory ideas!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm just a month past surgery, so I haven't tried it lately, but I used to use it as a base for dips, in the place of sour cream. I liked ranch a lot. Then, just eat with a few veggies
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you blend it smooth and mix it with smoked salmon it is amazing!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Jerk seasoning and a touch of evoo
    Or turkey sausage and basil
  • 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love to have peaches with cottage cheese.
    I also like dill pickles cut up with cottage cheese. (Pregnancy discovery that stuck)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I usually get the Del Monte Naturals fruit cups (cherry mixed fruit) and mix half of it in my morning cup of cottage cheese. Otherwise, I usually just eat it with pepper. Not that adventurous, I'm afraid, but there's some great ideas above so maybe I'll try some new things.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I like my cottage cheese left in the grocery store. ick :smirk:
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In going to have to try some of these!
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a purist with the cottage cheese. That said, I like a little salt sometimes. And if you get the mini pretzles that are square, I like to use it as a dip. I also don't like salad dressing (like any of it - at all) so I have always used cottage cheese as a salad dressing. Just dipping baby spinach leaves in it is awesome.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I eat it like a dip with pork rinds, because I have to have my crunch. Sometimes I'll mix in a little ranch seasoning.
  • KyriaCathy
    KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    I like my cottage cheese left in the grocery store. ick :smirk:
    LOL!

• creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been putting smoked paprika on it - love that stuff
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been eating flaked salmon, chopped dill pickles, dill, and cottage cheese mixed together. Delish.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Favorite is crushed pineapple in it's own juice (no extra sweetner of any kind), sometimes other fruit. Love it plain or with a little pepper too. I've also added a no calorie coffee syrup for a little sweet and flavor. Just a little or it gets too runny.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    A few days ago I decided to add some PB2 to my cottage cheese, and I loved it. Might not be for everyone, but I love anything with peanut butter!!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Favorites are pineapple, peaches, pretzels (especially the cottage cheese with chives and onion, mixing into scrambled eggs and replacing ricotta cheese in recipes (just because I like to use what's on hand).
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I though cottage cheese was just something people were forced to eat on a diet. Go figure.......