Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
I've been low carb/keto since March this year and I've slowly but steadily lost almost 10kg. But something happened in August that toppled me off the wagon and I've been struggling to get back on since. I commit to eating clean every week but I never seem to go past 3 days without cheating. I've gained back 2kg and the scale keeps climbing. I'm terrified of gaining back all the weight I lost and having to start all over again. Yesterday I had managed to get to 5 days then some bad news sent me straight to the snack cupboard.

Right now I need some strategies on how to stop sabotaging myself. Please help with anything you have - advice, encouragement, even a well aimed kick in the behind! I'll take it as long as it gets me back on track again.

Replies

• carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Hi Maikanyenga! the main thing is... don't panic! My advice would be to go shopping for lots of lovely LCHF foods and make sure you have what you need (LCHF) when you want something to eat. Get rid of anything that may sabotage your decision. Give yourself some goals like ' I will do 5 days sticking to the plan' then increase the days little by little. I always found the weekends extremely hard, now I am breezing through them. Set yourself up to win :) Good luck.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    When you've fallen, pick yourself back up, then do something to help you to remember NOT to do that again. You could do a 24 hour water fast after OR burn the calories/carbs off with heavy exercise.

In either case, it would be a "punishment" to discipline you into not doing that again. Both the fast and/or the exercise are good for your body.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I agree about making it hard to fail. having LCHF foods and a plan for the munchies could help.

I also find it helpful to read something about health or watch a motivating show (like Fathead). Lately I've been reading about the link of IR to alzheimers - enough to scare me away from carbs for a long time.

Hang in there.
  • Almoshposh
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I agree about making it hard to fail. having LCHF foods and a plan for the munchies could help.

I also find it helpful to read something about health or watch a motivating show (like Fathead). Lately I've been reading about the link of IR to alzheimers - enough to scare me away from carbs for a long time.

Hang in there.

Thank you so much for your inspiration. I remember I used do read everything I could get my hands on about low carbing when I started. I think I should go back to that again. I found it easier to resist temptation then.
  • Almoshposh
    DittoDan wrote: »
    When you've fallen, pick yourself back up, then do something to help you to remember NOT to do that again. You could do a 24 hour water fast after OR burn the calories/carbs off with heavy exercise.

In either case, it would be a "punishment" to discipline you into not doing that again. Both the fast and/or the exercise are good for your body.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.

Thanks Dan!

I've started running sharing and enjoy it so much I could never see it as punishment! But it makes me so hungry. .. Maybe I'll stop the run as the punishment :D
  • Almoshposh
    carom wrote: »
    Hi Maikanyenga! the main thing is... don't panic! My advice would be to go shopping for lots of lovely LCHF foods and make sure you have what you need (LCHF) when you want something to eat. Get rid of anything that may sabotage your decision. Give yourself some goals like ' I will do 5 days sticking to the plan' then increase the days little by little. I always found the weekends extremely hard, now I am breezing through them. Set yourself up to win :) Good luck.

Thanks Carom.
    I'll start with the snack cupboard today.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I found these podcasts very motivating. Maybe something in them will help you.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ketovangelist-podcast/id999487887?mt=2
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    I've found myself struggling to stay on plan on the weekends too...I'm still working on figuring out how to not cheat to begin with. But I at least feel better if I take a bike ride or a long walk to burn off some of the carbage that I put in my face.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Weekends are my nemesis. Still working on that. I'm trying pre-logging a splurge (calories) so I can stay within my goal. I've figured out my problem. It's the weekend, and I want to let loose and have a good time and treat myself. I used to do that by abusing my body with food and drinking too much alcohol after the kids go to bed. Since I subtracted that, what do I do with myself? Can I still have a good time without those things? I know the answer is yes, but I'm still working on the implementation.

Going back to the beginning is a good idea. What made you hardcore and stay that way? Adopt those habits. And dangle a carrot. "If I buckle down for 7 days I get some-non-food-reward."

You did one of the hardest things. You got back up. You are getting real with yourself. Stay the course and be fierce, and restrengthen that resistance muscle. You CAN do this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I would say, don't punish yourself, because that can lead to some disordered thinking.

My advice is to really put your mind to figuring out what is going on and figure out your strategy to stay with it (like the advice above to get rid of the stuff you shouldn't eat). Re-focus yourself on your goals and the reasons for them. Decide that you will do it. This is a life change, not just something you will do for a certain time and then you can stop and go back to the way you were. This requires mostly decision and the control is all within your own mind. If and when you slip, don't blame yourself or beat yourself up, just make up your mind again and get back to it.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    I have the same problem. I'm planning a fat fast for next week to see if that will get me back on track, and when I can't cook or have to eat out I try to choose the lowest-carb option available (yeah, last weekend I ended up with spam and cheesewhiz lunch, and lots of strange looks). When I was in deep ketosis I was a whole lot less hungry and had to eat a lot less, and I really want to get back to that point soon. Hope to get some good tips from this thread! Good luck to the OP.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I would say, don't punish yourself, because that can lead to some disordered thinking.

My advice is to really put your mind to figuring out what is going on and figure out your strategy to stay with it (like the advice above to get rid of the stuff you shouldn't eat). Re-focus yourself on your goals and the reasons for them. Decide that you will do it. This is a life change, not just something you will do for a certain time and then you can stop and go back to the way you were. This requires mostly decision and the control is all within your own mind. If and when you slip, don't blame yourself or beat yourself up, just make up your mind again and get back to it.

Quoting this since I couldn't have said any of it better at all. Not using punishment/reward system around food is key for me, and being gentle and undersanding with the fact that you aren't going to be perfect (not as an excuse to cheat!! But because none of us are going to be perfect all the time) removes so much resistance on the way to success here.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    You need to manage your snacking. I'm a snacker, and I tried doing the two meals a day thing and not snacking in the evening with my partner (we do coffee and a snack at about 8pm while watching the TV). I'm not prepared to give that up. So, I keep things I can have so I don't feel deprived. I'm guilty of eating those ProteinFX Lo Carb cookies (you know the one's you'll yell at me for having all those ingredients). But you know what? They're only a couple of carbs and they're like a real cookie. They don't effect my weightloss as long as they're in my macros. I also eat pork rinds. Little tubs of cream cheese. Slices of ham or salami. Cheese stringers. Would my diet be better if I cut some of these things out? Maybe. But they allow me to stick to it. One other thing I've found to work for me is being strict during the week (maybe a couple of hundred calories under my goal) and more relaxed on the weekend (still under 20g of carbs but I might eat as much as 2200 calories). This allows me to eat out and not stress or feel deprived.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    10kg off is really great, well done.
    Don't loose all that great work. I know its not easy & you know you can do it.
    I have found LCHF easy to monitor on a day by day basis by using a ketostix. By measuring every morning I know how I went the day before. If I am kicked out it takes about 72 hours to get back in ketosis at worse. So I am just working on 3 days at a time, in bite sized chunks. Any more & it all becomes too much to monitor.
    Then before I knew it when looking at my results over 15 weeks is 20kg(44lb) gone. It is blowing my mind and I'm not hungry. I'm not good at all staying in ketosis many days in a row. I think the longest has been 5 days in a row & then out of ketosis. Aaaahhhh!!!! And many many times i didnt cheat but made mistakes or mis read labels or didnt plan my day & ate something I thought was OK (until I logged it in later on). But just reminded myself it is just another 3 days til back in ketosis.
    You can also do it, just 3 days at a time. And one slipup is easy to recover from, just get back into it & back into ketosis in just 3 days time.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    I've been low carb/keto since March this year and I've slowly but steadily lost almost 10kg. But something happened in August that toppled me off the wagon and I've been struggling to get back on since. I commit to eating clean every week but I never seem to go past 3 days without cheating. I've gained back 2kg and the scale keeps climbing. I'm terrified of gaining back all the weight I lost and having to start all over again. Yesterday I had managed to get to 5 days then some bad news sent me straight to the snack cupboard.

Right now I need some strategies on how to stop sabotaging myself. Please help with anything you have - advice, encouragement, even a well aimed kick in the behind! I'll take it as long as it gets me back on track again.

Getting back in is tough. No doubt. I've been struggling the past few days too. After surgery I'm back in since Monday, but had a few slip ups like a pint of icecream last night! All you can really go is get back on with doubled determination. Some things that I do are:

1. Ask your spouse/a close friend for help. Give him permission to question your choices and ask him to talk to you about how your day was.
    2. Log your foods here and if you mess up just start fresh with the next meal.
    3. Track your ketones with ketostix especially at the start to give you both a goal (color) and instant feedback. Some ppl say they don't work for them, and you have to make sure you're not dehydrated, but they are always accurate for me.
    4. Brings me to water. Hydrate a lot in the beginning. It's good for your kidneys and if helps stop hunger cravings that are really water cravings.
    5. In you eat late at night and your willpower is low late at night (me!), for the first few weeks set an alarm on your phone for a time, like 7pm. Mentally challenge yourself to think of the kitchen as closed at that time.

These are the things I am working on right now as I work to get keto adapted again. Once I get into heavy ketostix color, I am loathe to hurt that color, so for now that's my biggest goal. That and water consumption, and not eating past 7pm.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    deksgrl wrote: »

This times 1 million.

I know the weekends are going to be hard. I plan on 'over' eating, which is eating to maintenance for me.

I've made the mistake of letting those extra calories come from crap like sugary foods etc and it just leads to my weight going up, and feelings of despair and failure, for me. So I just eat an extra meal and make sure that it's a very keto one - fried eggs, a hunk of cheese etc. I also sometimes log the higher calorie day on paper before committing it to MFP as I don't always feel like having people on my friends list (aka my nosey grandma) asking me why I'm eating so much, it makes me feel like I did something wrong.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Well I was a little surprised on what finally worked for me. I decided to try an egg fast I read about. All I wanted was to get back in control, I wasn't planning on eating that way for a lifetime but for a week I figured I could do it until I got the carbs out of my system. Well the first day or so I was great and 100% on plan and then I started feeling more in control and I have gradually started adding in more variety, a little at a time. I'm still LC but feel like freeing up my meal to include something like salmon and asparagus for supper is a huge treat. As soon as real food started feeling like a treat the rest has been effortless. I feel such a relief to finally be back in control.

Hope this gives you some ideas on what to try. Different strokes for different folks but this is what finally worked for me.
  • Almoshposh
    Thank you all for your support and sage advice. It has really helped me stay in control these last couple of days. I feel I'm over the worst of it. Evidence is that DH bought a chocolate Swiss roll last night for dessert ( he asked for permission first and I said yes. Otherwise he never brings in carbage...) I made myself a chocolate coconut fat bomb and we all ate together. After my dessert I felt satisfied and didn't even look at the Swiss roll.

Yipeeeeeee! I'm back o:)

@Sunny_Bunny_ thank you for the podcasts. They have been fantastic. I hope this all lasts long enough for me to actually start losing again. Because so far nothing yet. But as long as I'm eating right I know it will happen.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    @Maikanyenga, we all will have obstacles to confront throughout this process that can completely derail our efforts! So glad you made the choice to stick it out! Each experience leads to more strength!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    I've been in a similar boat lately. Looking over my diary, I realized I haven't been eating as much coconut oil as I had been. I think the lower fat intake in the mornings was leading to hunger earlier than usual. My goal this week is to re-institute a tablespoon of CO each meal, and an additional fat serving each meal.