Nodules

Options
MeepleMuppet
MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
Hay folks. It's been two years since my total thyroidectomy, 1 1/2 years since the RAI, and they have now found a nodule at my most recent ultrasound. Next up, biopsy. How many of you guys have had post-surgical nodules? Was it cancerous again?

Replies

• WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will be two years this coming December. I will have my next thyroid us in Jan. I will let you know what they find. Dr. mentioned something in the left side of my neck but said it wasn't lymph node related to I am curious now.
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    For anyone who stumbles upon this thread, it was cancer. Surgical consult is in two weeks.
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For anyone who stumbles upon this thread, it was cancer. Surgical consult is in two weeks.
    How is everything going? You've been on my mind :(

• MeepleMuppet
    Options
    <3 Thanks. I'm ok. Here's what I've learned: thyroid cancer is not like other cancers. It doesn't "go" anywhere. It doesn't spread, it's basically inert, even when in the lymph nodes. It changes in size and that's about it. I learned that they don't even take out thyroid cancer anymore, and they are REALLY reluctant to take out this lymph node. There's a new way of thinking about cancer, especially thyroid cancer that's emerging from some recent studies which suggest that bodies sort of need a little cancer. If you constantly rip it out, it'll just make new ones elsewhere. And if you HAVE to have cancer, the thyroid's the best place for it. They leave it and just watch.

So the decision was left with me. The doc actually said "how do you feel about living with cancer?" Apparently the surgery itself is actually riskier than the cancer, so they're very reluctant to remove it, especially a 6mm nodule which is considered very small. I have another ultrasound in a month to see if there have been any changes and then I can update my decision.

Until then, I've decided that I am in a very unique position. I decided to pick one thing, one crazy-no-science-cancer-fighting-food, and just eat a ton of. I chose turmeric and the experiment is afoot! The bottle of turmeric pills was $20, I figured that was worth it. If nothing happens, then I'm out $20. If it shrinks the tumor, well then, bring on the Indian food!
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I know this is pretty old - but what is the link between turmeric and thyroid cancer? I've had two separate thyroidectomies (right side then left) the end of 2010 plus had nudules removed in a separate surgery last year. I had been getting boils regularly and have read were tumeric helped with those, just curious.
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Nothing definitive. There's very little science to most of these natural cures. Like I said, this little experiment was just for fun. And resulted in no change. My guess is the boils are unrelated to the surgeries. I would look for a topical solution first - detergents, cleansers, some sort of allergy. Second guess would be dietary. Check your sugar and sat fat consumption. Try lowering those and see if the boils clear up.
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    And now my cancer is back as well. There is a 1.5 cm tumor growing in my fricken scar tissue. Oh the joy. Surgery consult 1/26/16. Whole body scan was clear but ultrasound pulled up the nodule and blood work is out of control. My thyroglobulin has always been 0 since surgery, and is now 22. Also asked doctor about why I had all the issues with bleeding during my thyroidectomy. Turns out I had "toxic nodules." What a mess. Now I have double hernias as well, which popped up out of no where. Didn't think I'd be falling apart in my early 40s lol.
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Holy hell Coburn. I'm so sorry. So you're going to do the surgery? After mine, we did RAI again because the science had changed there in the last three years as well. The "nice" thing about that was they said I will never get it again. High risk for all the other cancers, but thyroid doesn't come back a third time.
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    And now my cancer is back as well. There is a 1.5 cm tumor growing in my fricken scar tissue. Oh the joy. Surgery consult 1/26/16. Whole body scan was clear but ultrasound pulled up the nodule and blood work is out of control. My thyroglobulin has always been 0 since surgery, and is now 22. Also asked doctor about why I had all the issues with bleeding during my thyroidectomy. Turns out I had "toxic nodules." What a mess. Now I have double hernias as well, which popped up out of no where. Didn't think I'd be falling apart in my early 40s lol.

M
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    WrenPat60 wrote: »

So sorry to hear of you cancer returning. I hope everything, surgery and treatment goes well for you. I hate this feeling of "crossing your fingers" and everything will be all right. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Pat
  • WrenPat60
    Options
    Nothing definitive. There's very little science to most of these natural cures. Like I said, this little experiment was just for fun. And resulted in no change. My guess is the boils are unrelated to the surgeries. I would look for a topical solution first - detergents, cleansers, some sort of allergy. Second guess would be dietary. Check your sugar and sat fat consumption. Try lowering those and see if the boils clear up.

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping that you are still cancer free.