Magnesium supplement recommendations

Options
AMPie73
AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
I apologize in advance because I know this has been covered in here before but I can't find the discussion, grrrr! I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and minor muscle aches and pains which is very out of the ordinary for me and think maybe I need to add a magnesium supplement. Which brands, types do you guys recommend?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I recommend between 200-300mg before bed. It helps me sleep. I'm not going to recommend a brand, but here's a guide.

Obviously the best way to get enough mag is to get it through eating magnesium rich foods.

The next best things however:
    Mag oxide is the cheapest. It also has the poorest absorption. Try magnesium citrate or magnesium malate instead. The absorption is better for those. Be careful on taking larger doses at once though until you know how your body processes magnesium or you'll end up with frequent trips to the good ol' porcelain throne.
    If you have trouble with this, take a lower dose, and crank up the dose, a little bit each day, until you discover your threshold.

I take mag malate/citrate blend before bed. I alternate 200mg tablet with 1.5 tablets at night.

Alternately, supposedly you can soak in epsom salts and absorb mag through the skin. You'll absorb as much as you need and then your body will stop absorbing it when you've had enough.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've been taking magnesium glycinate and love it for sleep. I've read magnesium malate is helpful for those with aches and pains.

I don't know what brand mine is, it was the only glycinate they had at the store
  • AMPie73
    AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been reading that the glycinate is the best as far as absorption too. Guess I will take myself down to the natural food store and see if they have any. Thanks!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I just picked up for Magnesium Glycinate at Lindberg Nutrition this past week-end so this is my first week taking 2 tabs after dinner. No problems so far and we will see how it goes.
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Natural Calm is the best thing I've found for sore muscles and sleep help. Read the reviews, it's good stuff.
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I guess I can't post a link. New to this. You can find it on Amazon. I like it because it's more easily absorbed since it's a liquid and if you are like me, with digestive problems, then it's wonderful.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Epsom salt baths or even a foot soak. Good way to let your body decide what it needs.