My Doc was Amazed!

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
I had my check-up recently. I like my primary care doc, but he's not a fan of low carb. He is a smart guy, though. He got his MD from Yale and loves to discuss pathophysiological theories, including stuff like the latest microbiome findings.

Anyway, I told him about my dietary changes, and he was pretty impressed with the results. Weight loss was just part of my motivation. Here's what he wrote in his outpatient notes (which I can view online):

Amazingly he has been able to alter his lipid composition dropping his triglycerides raising his HDL and changing the LDL particle size from predominantly small dense to predominantly large fluffy.

I was happy with the results, but I was even happier with his choice of words. Amazingly ... :)

Replies

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nice! How much weight have you lost?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Nice! How much weight have you lost?

About 35lbs, but my initial goal was just to lose around 20lbs. I kept going because it was so easy and felt good. :)

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Glorious!
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Nice job! It amazes me how anything "different" amazes the medical providers.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I like that word too. "Amazingly"
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think the internet is helping LCHF info get into the heads of more health care professionals. Great job.

My numbers did the same but have not learned the results of my retesting a week ago because the PA could not understand how LDL could increase when HDL was going up and triglycerides going down. :)
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Awesome news @webmaster :) My hubby and I had our bloods done last week, I weigh about 20 kilos more than him but he was the one who got the phone call about his cholesterol being too high. Not me! my bloods were fine, despite eating lots of meat and fat, and being much bigger than him, I am feeling quite smug :) and this just goes to show I am on the right track for me.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    You have provided inspiration and lots of ideas for me.

I appreciate your dedications and helpful personality

That is so awesome to see
    Your personal success!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Amazingly he has been able to alter his lipid composition dropping his triglycerides raising his HDL and changing the LDL particle size from predominantly small dense to predominantly large fluffy.

I was happy with the results, but I was even happier with his choice of words. Amazingly ... :)

That is amazingly cool, and textbook low carb improvement!

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the good news @wabmester! Very cool story.
  • wabmester
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »

That is amazingly cool, and textbook low carb improvement!

It is textbook! It's exactly what I expected to happen, so I was amazed that he was amazed. :)

I gave him the name of the textbook (Phinney and Volek). I was tempted to buy him copies to hand out to his patients. I think he's seen the light, but now I have to convince him that this diet won't cause kidney stones. :(

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I had my check-up recently. I like my primary care doc, but he's not a fan of low carb. He is a smart guy, though. He got his MD from Yale and loves to discuss pathophysiological theories, including stuff like the latest microbiome findings.

Anyway, I told him about my dietary changes, and he was pretty impressed with the results. Weight loss was just part of my motivation. Here's what he wrote in his outpatient notes (which I can view online):

Yahoo! Keep schooling him! ;) He may yet become a fan of low carb.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Congrats the blood work changes! Thank is fantastic. I see mine in a couple weeks and hopefully she will notice my more dense physic and 10 lbs gone this month! woohoo.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    This proof that they can see is what it will take for them to change their thinking. All of the studies couldn't provide what you did! I know you are proud! Just another reason to be completely transparent about our food preferences with them. They can't deny what's in front of them! You rock Wab!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Great job! :) -- I have a follow-up with my doctor in October and I hope to have good results also.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    zcfvkug7yulo.png

That is awesome, the doc doesn't know what hit him....! :)

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Really well done! I think it's just a matter of time until the research shows the harm of heavily refined carbs for our health, all the way around.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nice job! My Lipid panel has similar results just lacking the before and after though...keto for the win
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love this!!!!!