Protein Powder - looking for new source and good deals

Options
Holly_penguin
Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
I need to buy protein powder. I need to try a new flavor/brand because I've overdosed on the one I have. In the past I bought from BJ's Bariatrics but their website is down/out of business. Anyone have any sample/coupons/websites they can recommend? Thanks.

Replies

• LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi! Nashua Nutrition offers samples for $1.95 of a bunch of different protein powders. Syntrax Nectar also offers single serve packets. I think you can get those on the Nashua Nutrition website, too.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I second Nashua nutrition! They are great in person and online. They offer samples of most everything and if not, they will take back anything you don't like. I have found I don't like the majority of shakes, but I really like the syntax iced tea. I was in there the other day and got a box of liquid orange concentrate. It is my now protein savior!! It's not thick or gritty; more like orange crystal lite(w/17g protein!)! And I add a 1/2-1 scoop of isopure unflavored to my soup and stuff for another protein boost. Thanks to a pile of samples I had bought there, I finally found things that don't gag me!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I go to GNC for the premade Total Lean shakes so I can grab on the go when needed. Otherwise I like Body Fortress from Walmart. I also just ordered Musclegen Research Genepro Protein Powder on Amazon. It's unflavored, dissolves in hot/cold without clumping and the best part... it has 30g protein in 1 tablespoon!!! Can't wait to try it!!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of the GNC Lean Shake 25 pre-surgery. Super-filling and thick, like a milkshake.

Post-op though, I have just found that they are too thick, sweet, and heavy. I've become sensitive to sweet stuff. My stomach still hurts from the one I drank 2 hours ago.

GNC's 100% soy Isolate is a much more digestible protein, and thinner, which sits in my belly better.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find so many protein shakes too sweet post-op. I'm afraid to try the unflavored because I'm not sure what I would add it to. I end up with chocolate and vanilla, mix them together, drink them separately. Use milk, use water, use cold coffee...all too sweet. I'm okay with eh texture and I've become accustomed to the protein after-taste. And they are so dang expensive. Inexpensive mixes don't have enough protein to keep me satisfied for long. It's really the cost I have an issue with...boredom with flavor and too sweet in that order that I'm struggling with.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    I hear ya. It's not cheap, but at least the 3 a day thing is temporary.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I use isopure!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I do thin out the total lean shakes with either skim milk or water. Adding ice and blending after keeps them cold and tolerable. I received my Genepro order yesterday and I really like it. It is unflavored and the tablespoon dissolves great for 30g. It does settle to the bottom so you need to stir or shake occasionally but there is no taste, no grit and no major thickening!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Syntrax Nectar brand. I've been addicted to the Cappuccino flavor, really like the Vanilla Bean as well. I recently bought and love the Caribbean Cooler! It's a fruity one, mix with water (unlike the other two which I mix with milk as they are creamy). Really good, refreshing and fewer calories than my other go-to flavors. Next I'm going to get the Lemon Tea flavor.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Love the lemon tea, pawoodhull. Currently trying to choke down a crystal sky. Not a fan. Bought a bunch of individual packets. Cappuccino is up next. Perhaps when I dump this one out!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Another tasty trick:
    Buy yourself an Aeropress, it make a perfect hot-pressed coffee (basically an espresso shot without steam.
    Add a shot of coffee into a morning chocolate shake, it's really good!
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Another tasty trick:
    Buy yourself an Aeropress, it make a perfect hot-pressed coffee (basically an espresso shot without steam.
    Add a shot of coffee into a morning chocolate shake, it's really good!

I love adding coffee to my morning shakes! So yummy! And like a few others have mentioned, the Sytrax Nectar is one of my favorites. I have the Fuzzy Navel and Vanilla Bean Torte right now and one of my favorite things to do is mix the two of them together.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Genepro is my go-to protein powder. It is unflavored, and mixes right in. I have a scoop in my morning coffee with some creamer, and if I have soup later in the day will add 1/2 to 1 scoop to it, depending on where I am protein wise for the day. I've even mixed it with V8 light fusion or crystal light and it has done well cold in those when I'm traveling and in a bit of a pinch. I buy it off Amazon.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Syntrax carribean cooler was pretty tasty. Betty it would be great blended in ice
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i use body fortress choclate with coconut milk omg so good
  • Sherbst46
    Sherbst46 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Isopure unflavored and I also like the Apple Melon Isopure...
  • nursejenny1976
    nursejenny1976 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Inspire protein powder from bariatric eating is great. Lovely flavors like dutch chocolate cake and peanut butter cookie. Their unflavored is great also, put it in everything, jello, soups, broth, no grittiness. The believe mocha latte ready to drink also offered on the site it the best, blend with ice and you will not miss the high calorie starbucks blended drinks.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein (Walmart, Sams Club, Costco) for premade shakes w/ 30 G protein. You can turn them into fantastic smoothies. Unjury for powder. Unflavored, Chocolate Splendor, Vanilla.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar Strawberry Kiwi. I'm not a fan of sweet so I add 1 Crystal Light lemonade to a full scoop and 20 ounces of water. The lemonade cuts some of the sweetness. You can purchase from Amazon or the Vitamin Shoppe. If you have access to a Drug Emporium you can purchase single serve packages giving you an opportunity to try different flavors.
  • 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    At Costco (Canada) they have a Whey protein isolate on sale the name brand is Kaizen. It comes in Chocolate and Vanilla anyone try this? If so what do you think?