Fat loss in menopause

Options
3furballs
3furballs Posts: 476 Member
So my mom informs me that 5lb weight gain is normal in menopause and I'm stuck with it. I've gained 10lbs in 2 years despite working out 6 days a week and being careful with my food. However I love sugar and beer and struggle to keep that in check.

Spam me with your successful tips for losing weight.

Replies

• 3furballs
    Options
    To clarify by alcohol I mean light beer on the weekends mostly.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Logging has been essential for me, especially when I hit a roadblock, like an injury. Spending at least half my waking hours standing up and preferably in motion has been a big help. It might not be helpful for you, but cutting back on carbs has made a huge difference for me. It's easier for me to eat less when I'm eating more protein and fat, and less sugar and starch. I did it in stages, cutting back to 120 grams or less, aiming for about 100 g, now aiming for 60 or less. I never liked beer, but I love grains. I'm hoping that I can have them as occasional treats at some point, just not now, while I'm making low carb eating into a habit.

P.S. You look great!
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Thanks. That pic is over a year old and I think I've put the 10lbs on my waist. I might look into lowering my carbs and I know I should lower my sugar but it's my weakness.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you believe the research that suggests that menopause is/leads to/can cause insulin resistance, lowering carbs makes sense. Given that we gain where folks with insulin resistance (including those with PCOS), it kinda makes sense.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Very low carb diets are used to treat metabolic syndrome, which includes weight gain around the waist, so it might not be a stretch to go lower carb for menopause.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is also supposed to help with metabolic syndrome, so if you are not supplementing with that, it might be worth a try.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    I'm going to see if my plan will cover a hormone test to see if that is an issue. Not sure about magnesium. I know all my blood work was good at my physical in may, not sure if they test for that or not? Was trying to change to a hard boiled egg and almonds for breakfast but ended up having 2 rolls for lunch since my stomach is off today and I came home from work early due to sickness.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    It's sometimes tested if they test your electrolytes. I use Natural Calm brand, which dissolves in water. I get migraines and both neurology and my primary want me to take it. It's not monitored because it's sort of self limiting -- it loosens your bowels if you take too much. You're supposed to slowly ramp it up so you can stop before that side effect gets awkward.

I don't limit my carbs but I know a lot of people have good results with that. I have thyroid disease with some T3 conversion issues and there's some indication that low carb is not a good combo with that. I take hormones and I did lose several inches from my waist over the first few months. It's probably made me less motivated than I would be otherwise because the belly was the thing that was really bothering me. I'm still about 15 lbs overweight but not as self-conscious as I was. Not that I would take the belly back to be more motivated.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's sometimes tested if they test your electrolytes. I use Natural Calm brand, which dissolves in water. I get migraines and both neurology and my primary want me to take it. It's not monitored because it's sort of self limiting -- it loosens your bowels if you take too much. You're supposed to slowly ramp it up so you can stop before that side effect gets awkward.

I don't limit my carbs but I know a lot of people have good results with that. I have thyroid disease with some T3 conversion issues and there's some indication that low carb is not a good combo with that. I take hormones and I did lose several inches from my waist over the first few months. It's probably made me less motivated than I would be otherwise because the belly was the thing that was really bothering me. I'm still about 15 lbs overweight but not as self-conscious as I was. Not that I would take the belly back to be more motivated.

My doc has me take it FOR my bowels. It's a great regulator!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    My husband takes it for that reason too.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Well I'm trying to lower my carbs, baby steps, giving up my morning steel cut oats for hard boiled egg and almonds.

I've also been to my naturopath and she's put me on evening primrose and fish oil and she did some acupuncture to try and work on the liptin hormones.

Here's hoping!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    In menopause too, started at the beginning of the year. Gained 6 lbs in two months, and have only been able to lose 3 lbs, now a total of 17 lbs overweight all in belly/thigh area. I've tried the 20% deficit but didn't work. After reading all your replies, I'm going to try to up fat intake to see if that will help.

I’ve also decided switch up my training. From lifting 3x week to focus on circuit training 5x week with low weights, to limit muscle loss, until I get the extra weight off then switch back to heavy lifting.

Hang in there ladies! We’ve got this!
  • jls43
    jls43 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been in menopause for 3 years - last summer had a very stressful month w my dad getting sick & dying & then breaking my arm. I gained so much fat so quickly I could hardly believe it. And it was all in my stomach! Yuk. I have been working since Dec and it is slooowly coming off. Of course if you try to ramp up the exercise some other part goes. Sigh. Just hit 60 in July. Def try to limit carbs and inc protein...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Low carb is working for me. It has also knocked out or lessened all of my awful menopause symptoms.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    How many grams of carbs a day do you aim for? I'm going to try and cut them back but by no means out as I feel like the energy is needed with all the working out I do.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I shoot for under 100. I do have a friend who says she needs 150 for her workouts, but she keeps it higher fiber carbs like fruits and veggies, not much grains.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2015
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I shoot for under 100. I do have a friend who says she needs 150 for her workouts, but she keeps it higher fiber carbs like fruits and veggies, not much grains.
    Ditto. I probably get around 100 or less most days. More some days, but usually high fiber carbs then. And I specifically choose SLOWER carbs when it comes to refined carbs.

I hadn't ever really counted carbs, until I saw Deksgrl's post about menopause, then really had a look at mine. I've been SLOW carb for eons, but now am trying to go a bit lower as well.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just cut my calories in general. I had to drop about 150 a day to stay the same weight rather than keep gaining. I eat lots of carbs but mainly from vegetables, rather than rice, pasta or potatoes, the fibre helps digestion.
    I eat about 120g carbs which is about 45% of my calories
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink enough water. I find it more important as I've gotten older. The advice posted has all been good. Basically it comes down to eating less carbs, eating less processed foods, drinking enough water, and exercise as best you can. If you don't use it, you lose it. And, never give up!!
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Well so far no weight loss but I find it hard to cut carbs and sugar, exercise is no problem, I bike to and from work and do kickboxing 3 times a week, kettlebell twice and a HIIT class once a week and usually a self defence class as well.