Anyone Lose Weight and then Gain...and Gain...and Gain?

Options
That's totally what I did.

Hey everyone :) I joined this group because a few years back I lost 90lbs on WW, then promptly gained 102 back. Really. I've been kind of wallowing in self-pity because I couldn't forgive myself for coming back here. Now I'm doing it again - lost 5lbs so far! - but I need to figure out how make these permanent changes in my life. Anyone out there in the same boat?

Replies

• Tammy0403
    Tammy0403 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have done that my whole life but not this time. This time I am making is a life-style change and not a diet like I have in the past. I have a great support system at home which really helps me do that.
  • bgentile
    bgentile Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As you can see in my progress I most definitely gained and continued to gain. It happens when we get in that cycle of guilt, pity, more guilt, more pity. Breaking the cycle is not easy but you know when you do. You know when this time is different! The key is small steps and don't get caught up in doing something that won't be sustainable. Why deprive yourself of sugar for 3 weeks only to eat cake on week 4? Why go no carbs for 30 days only to eat bread on day 31? Make sustainable changes even if they are small because they eventually will gain intrinsic value and you will be CHOOSING not to or to do something.
  • 20paws
    20paws Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 12 years ago... Am now at my record high. It takes concentration for me- to focus and pay attention ... It's work for me to care enough. Ugh. But I have a new page open in my story, 2 weeks into this version. Trying to be smarter, calmer, more realistic, more honest. I battle with myself... I'm losing.
  • MsJennyffer
    MsJennyffer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In the same boat. I haven't lost as much as I wanted (about 80lbs), but I was in a better place a couple years ago when I lost 30lbs. It last a couple years and I was able to keep most of it off, but as time passes the lbs slowly creep up and I am back where I started. I feels awful, and I am so mad at myself for being somewhere I told my self I would never be again. I would like to say this is it, its the last time, but that is what I said last time. I also need to figure how to make the changes permanent.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Way back in my late 20's, I lost 130 pounds and actually weighed less than my driver's license said I did (women will understand this!). I ate 500 calories a day and work out. Had a full time job and a part time job. Thought I'd meet Mr. Right if I just got thin. Problem was, I still felt fat. I only met idiots. So, after keeping it off for nearly 2 years, I decided to have a child by artificial insemination. I used that as a reason to eat...and eat...and eat. My beautiful baby is now 26 and has inherited my fat genes. We're in this together.

I have some medical mobility issues (replaced knee, herniated discs, partially torn ACHILLES tendon (don't ask), asthma, and arthritis). To top that off, bought a new car in January and last week someone rear ended me. Now major back and hip pain. I'd just joined Planet Fitness too. -- insert sad face here -- Trying to keep my demented sense of humor. Started MFP on 1/29/16 and have lost 24 lbs so far. Slowly...but surely!

Add me, if you'd like! Glad to be here and glad to meet you all!
  • lovemamabear
    lovemamabear Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    deaddolly wrote: »
    Way back in my late 20's, I lost 130 pounds and actually weighed less than my driver's license said I did (women will understand this!). I ate 500 calories a day and work out. Had a full time job and a part time job. Thought I'd meet Mr. Right if I just got thin. Problem was, I still felt fat. I only met idiots. So, after keeping it off for nearly 2 years, I decided to have a child by artificial insemination. I used that as a reason to eat...and eat...and eat. My beautiful baby is now 26 and has inherited my fat genes. We're in this together.

I have some medical mobility issues (replaced knee, herniated discs, partially torn ACHILLES tendon (don't ask), asthma, and arthritis). To top that off, bought a new car in January and last week someone rear ended me. Now major back and hip pain. I'd just joined Planet Fitness too. -- insert sad face here -- Trying to keep my demented sense of humor. Started MFP on 1/29/16 and have lost 24 lbs so far. Slowly...but surely!

Add me, if you'd like! Glad to be here and glad to meet you all!

Wow ! So awesome 130 pounds! I'm looking to get rid of 120. I lost about 65 pounds around 5 years ago, and gained it back plus more of course... At least we know it is possible,