Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet.

Options
ajmurray1234
ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
I wanted to get everyone's take on drinking alcohol. Do you give it up once you start LCHF?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    No can do. Alcohol munchies get me every time. And I don't munch on steak! It's all about the chips, the cookies, the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (I'm a low rent drunk), and ice cream by the tub.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I truly believe having my first glass of bourbon in three years wrecked my 3 years of maintenance. I think it caused me to get back into what I call the "hungries".
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    One more thing: Keto and alcohol without soaking the alcohol up with carby junk is harsh! Your tolerance will go WAAAAY down, if you weren't a lightweight before, you will be one in ketosis. So keep that in mind, especially if you have to drive.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy alcohol on the weekend mostly. I mainly stick to vodka and soda or a but of red wine. And since my carb intake is low, a little alcohol goes a long way. I am happy with my rate of weight loss at the moment, but if weight loss slows, I cut back on the booze. And I don't snack whilst drinking, unless I have wine with dinner.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've drank twice since going LCHF in may and both times almost got stumbling drunk after two weak drinks. Lol. Other than the easily drunk, didn't do anything.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've decided low carb is for me, less than 100 grams, based on this post.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up alcohol on LC.
    I gave it up almost 40 years ago.
    I could be stupid enough without it
    helping me along.

>:) OR o:)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have a glass or two of a non sweet wine pretty much every weekend. Sometimes twice during the weekend, like this weekend.
    1 glass is just relaxing and I just enjoy wine. 2 glasses I can feel the alcohol buzz and I don't have any more. Tonight while at a bonfire with friends, they kept trying to get me to do shots with them, but that is a no go for me. I would've been stumbling and gotten drunk for sure. Plus they were very sugary shots, so I was even less interested...
    I have definitely noticed that I cannot drink as much since Keto but that's a bonus in my opinion. It's not good for me and its something bad for me that I haven't decided to stop, so the fact that I can't drink as much is good!
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I haven't touched it since I have been keto, although I was only 2-3 glasses of wine a week anyway, and I am always the sober driver. Like @azuriaz my carb hungrys come back and I just scoff whatever is available, chocolate, chips, crackers, whatever! Then I feel like crap in the morning. Not worth it :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I prefer beer, but after I went gluten free, I basically gave up all beer. I doubt I'd have one now - no light GF beers out there. LOL I avoid wine or I turn into Rudolf the red nosed drinker. Not good.
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love having a beer after knocking off work on a Friday.... I have made the switch to vodka, with a bit of fresh lime and soda. I do miss beer though.... :'(
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Vodka on the rocks, with maybe a twist of lemon and lime (if I have it) but I agree with everyone, it takes much less than it has before keto. When I do indulge I'm sure to drink water in between drinks if I have more than one.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm only day 7 on keto diet but have excluded all alcohol. Beer is my fav but there are 12+ carbs in one right? I miss it
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Vodka on the rocks, with maybe a twist of lemon and lime (if I have it) but I agree with everyone, it takes much less than it has before keto. When I do indulge I'm sure to drink water in between drinks if I have more than one.

Vodka. A night in university wrecked vodka for life for me. Ugh. I'm now woman of Russian descent who won't touch vodka - it's so wrong...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking vodka and diet coke with a slice of lime since switching to LCHF.
    Yes, as Azuriaz mentioned, tolerance is way down so I have to be careful not to go too overboard.
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My tolerance hasn't gone down any but I have cut back. I am not super low carb so I just make room for the drinks.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have alcohol still but usually on two nights a week for a total of 4-6 glasses wine a week. I used to have some most nights with dinner! Works for me.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    On Friday I decided I deserved to get something just for me and bought a bottle of Tanqueray and some diet tonic. Ohmygoodness, I forgot how much I enjoy a good gin and tonic! I had two on Friday evening and one on Saturday evening. Did I get drunk? No. Did I overeat or indulge in carby goodness? No. But I was aware that had I kept drinking I probably would have had some chips or something else "forbidden," so I stopped drinking. It hasn't had any observed effect on my weight loss this week. Beer, on the other hand... I love beer, but I don't like the taste of low-carb beer, so I will occasionally have one or two if I have room for it in my macros, but I generally try to avoid it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    On Friday I decided I deserved to get something just for me and bought a bottle of Tanqueray and some diet tonic. Ohmygoodness, I forgot how much I enjoy a good gin and tonic! I had two on Friday evening and one on Saturday evening. Did I get drunk? No. Did I overeat or indulge in carby goodness? No. But I was aware that had I kept drinking I probably would have had some chips or something else "forbidden," so I stopped drinking. It hasn't had any observed effect on my weight loss this week. Beer, on the other hand... I love beer, but I don't like the taste of low-carb beer, so I will occasionally have one or two if I have room for it in my macros, but I generally try to avoid it.

Tangueray and tonic is a fav of mine!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I usually do vodka soda when out or low carb beer. Once in a while I'll have a craft beer, something really good. I've noticed that beer bothers my tummy now though. Dry red wine works too and there are some great flavored seltzers that you can use to make a wine spritzer to lighten it up. I have noticed my tolerance is lower and that changed before I lost weight so I know it's me than just weighing less. I got really hit hard after 4 vodka sodas in the beginning I have never had a head ache quite like that. I used to have a couple beers every night after work, I can't do that anymore so it's about a one time a week thing, anything more than that and I don't lose any weight.