When you are the only Clean Eater........

Options
Hello I am new Clean Eating, started 2 weeks ago and have never felt better but also finding it to be very challenging. My husband and daughter want no part of my clean eating so making dinners are challenging as I no longer make the traditional meat, starch, veggie meal...then my co workers think I am just going through a phase....Any thoughts or ideas how to deal with the doubters of your new lifestyle? I do have a friend who has been a clean eater for years and to this day she makes 2 separate meals every night for her family, I really don't want to do this as I also struggle with controlling myself with many of the foods..

Replies

• MaraAraLara
    MaraAraLara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Its amazing what improvements a good diet can make to your energy and your general well being! If they don't want to eat what you eat and you don't want to eat what they eat there is not very much you can do, but there are a few little tricks. I notice you say "traditional meat, starch, veggie meal". You can make something here which will suit everyone. So use sweet potato as your starch, its a great energy food and tastes amazing. Use lean meat such as chicken, turkey or fish and veg.... well if they eat veg and you eat veg, all is good! I try to eat as clean as possible but if my partner makes a lasagna, I will have some, we usually cook from scratch and if it fits my macro's I am OK with it! If your co-workers aren't being supportive, then that's why we are all here! I find bulk prepping some items really helps. Also you could try tempting the family with some nice clean eating desserts! Maybe have a little talk with those around you explaining how important this is and how much you would appreciate their support?
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can slowly introduce more clean foods into their diets. Use organic whole wheat bread, non gmo foods, less processed overall. If you like to cook, you are ahead of the game because there are lots of clean recipes you can try.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My household loves takeaways and I wish I could but my tummy just wont allow it and some things just arent worth the agony. As far as hubby's concerned the shopping hasn't been done unless there is bread and jam in the fridge, and for me, the shopping hasn't been done unless there is bowl of fruit and a bowl of salad veges in the fridge. Funnily enough though, he notices when the fruit's gone (because he's the main one eating them). Slow and steady does it
  • wjenny1412
    wjenny1412 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie eating clean! I started today and I'm super motivated :) I want that lifestyle and hopefully my family will slowly follow
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I cook separately. I usually cook something for myself on Sundays that I can heat up throught the week because honestly I'm okay with a little monotony. I know it's not for everyone. It saves me time since I cook my husband his own meal. Not to mention it keeps me on track. By the time I get home from the gym I want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible and if I don't have something quick to heat up it can spell disaster.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I cook separately. I usually cook something for myself on Sundays that I can heat up throught the week because honestly I'm okay with a little monotony. I know it's not for everyone. It saves me time since I cook my husband his own meal. Not to mention it keeps me on track. By the time I get home from the gym I want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible and if I don't have something quick to heat up it can spell disaster.

I do the same. I also freeze a lot of my meals so, if I get bored of eating the same thing, I have options.
  • nashelsky
    nashelsky Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If my SO doesn't want what I'm making, then he'll just make his own dinner and we'll eat different things together. If he doesn't want to cook that night, then he'll have what I'm making. It has really opened him up to new things. His go to dishes used to always be pasta, bread, and SO MUCH CHEESE (we don't eat meat). Last night, he said to me, "We should have a really good dinner tomorrow. Like a filling dinner, not something quick. Maybe that veggie quinoa stir fry stuff we made last week?" If his parents heard him say that, their jaws would be on the floor.

Another thing that has helped is that we've talked a lot about how important it is to me. He knows that I feel pretty crummy about myself when I'm not watching my weight and eating foods that are good for me. For Christmas, he got me a cook book that has high protein vegetarian meals. He numbered each recipe, and now we draw a number once per week so the cook book decides what we make and we can't say "no" to the recipe. There have been some things that we haven't liked at all, but there have been some we thought we'd hate, and ended up loving!

Again, this is coming from someone who would go weeks without eating vegetables just a year or two ago.

Good luck!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new Clean Eating, started 2 weeks ago and have never felt better but also finding it to be very challenging. My husband and daughter want no part of my clean eating so making dinners are challenging as I no longer make the traditional meat, starch, veggie meal...then my co workers think I am just going through a phase....Any thoughts or ideas how to deal with the doubters of your new lifestyle? I do have a friend who has been a clean eater for years and to this day she makes 2 separate meals every night for her family, I really don't want to do this as I also struggle with controlling myself with many of the foods..

In their defence, almost always, this is a phase. Yes, it's annoying to be feeling undermined, but it will pass. As you keep going with this, people will get used to seeing you eat this way.

As for your family not wanting to participate, I'm sorry you have the added challenge of lack of support at home. What I said above, and also, it is still possible to make clean protein, starch and veggie dinners. If it's really important to you, maybe as a family you can strike a deal where one day a week you eat what they want and one day a week they eat what you want?

Lifestyle changes take time for everyone. If it's important to you, you'll figure it out.

• topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My sister, who likes to cook much more than I, typically makes three dinners-one for herself, one for her husband who is on a no salt diet, and one batch for their three kids. Me? I' learning to cook healthy foods for my self, and my son is going along.
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I'm so worried about my partners eating. But anything that is deemed healthy he won't touch!
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I cook for myself, my hubbie, and 3 middle aged kids. What really helps me is making a large portion of something and then varying what I put underneath it. Tomorrow I am making a big pot of spaghetti sauce. Organic beef, onions, garlic, seasonings, cans of no sugar added tomato sauce. Then I will make the noodles on the side as well as steam a couple heads of cauliflower. They will eat some of the vegetables, but I will put 1/2 to 1 head of cauliflower under the meat sauce for myself, while they enjoy their noodles.
    I made a big batch of chicken noodle soup last week. I took out 1/4 of the veggies and put them separate in the crock pot and made my own version without the egg noodles.
    Chili- make a healthy pot of chili and warm up a yam or sweet potato to go under yours, while they can have corn bread, cheese, etc...
    Grill, Bake, cook 3-4 pounds of chicken on the weekend and use it for meals.
    This way you are only cooking once but it works for everyone.
    This is at least what works for me, and my family gets to advantage of having a good portion of their food have a healthy base.

PS. Don't tell them it is super healthy chili, just call if by the regular names and they won't think twice.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For me this is a matter of whose problem is this anyway? If one has been granted the title of family cook, then the recipients should rejoice they are so well loved. Cooking is a lot of work. Parents with dependent children are of course obligated to feed them.

Picky eaters can be rehabilitated and s l o w l y be brought around. Everything you teach them they will remember and you will be laying the foundation for healthier eating perhaps later in their life. Stay the course.

If they make a huge revolt over this ... teach them to cook for each other. We have two older sons who would not eat my clean food, at first. Now that meal that lasted me a week is gone overnight.

As for DH who requires a separate meal ... indentured servitude for women went out in the 60's thanks to Gloria Steinem. Time for them to learn to cook, too. It only takes a few days of no separate meals before they start to fend for themselves. Once they have gratitude for your past service to them, they may become much more open minded ... or not.

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,765 Member
    Options
    Super post, NOTREADYTOQUIT! <3
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the website 100daysofrealfood.com. She has a lot of great ideas for families and some great recipes too. I love to cook. I'm dating a guy who's not really into the whole food thing and I've been eating this way for almost 2 years. Its getting really annoying trying please both myself and him, so much so that I'm beginning to wonder if dating him is worth it because I'm tired of trying to improvise. To make matters worse, my nephew moved in with me and is all into whole food eating so I know what a joy it is to have someone love my 'food' lifestyle.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem... :( and we cannot afford to double meals ... so i have kinda given up. it's two against me. and they like white everything!! ugh :( white rice which i hate, white bread, white pasta. I am stuck!!
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I cook 3 separate meals in my household. I don't mind keeps me on my feet and allows me to be in total control of what I'm consuming. My husband is skinny as heck and doesn't clean eat. Initially everyone questioned how long I could eat the way I do, now everyone just accepts thats what I do. It took a long time and me going to dinner parties with my weighing scale for people to realize how committed I was LOL. People often cook me a healthier option when I go to theirs too which I always accept very graciously!!!
  • vjjohnson3
    vjjohnson3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am very adamant about what I eat and won't eat. That is hard for some people. But if they want to eat a lot of stuff that I don't eat any more that is fine. I just tell them to hide the tempting things.
    One thing for sure is that it is worth it!
  • Fragmoss
    Fragmoss Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, usually requires no wrappers or packaging. It's in its own package. My hubby is the typical eater/shopper pushing the shopping cart up and down every aisle. When we first enter the store, I just say, "I'll meet you at the produce."
  • SeriousPC
    SeriousPC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree - Super post, NOTREADYTOQUIT! <3
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    in time my family started to eat my (whole) food. it happend just when i stopped pushing them.. whole pasta taste good, they dont like whole bread but tortia is ok. fruits taste good.. stopped buying cornflaks so they had to eat something else.
    the start is not easy.
    good luck:-)