How do you DEFINE clean eating?

Options
AmyLizK
AmyLizK Posts: 4 Member
Hi, everyone! My name is Amy, I'm 32 and I've recently lost over 50lbs. However, getting my eating under control is and will be an ongoing process. I, also, would still like to lose more weight.

I'm on Day 18 of my first Whole 30.
I like the challenge of it and I'm cooking more than I ever have, which is great. However, I'm not so fond of eating SO MUCH meat. My micro-nutrient numbers have gone up almost across the board.

I need help finding an actually healthy way to eat.
"Clean eating" sounds appealing to me and my body is definitely responding well to not having the processed food. I am wondering if this group can help me better define the "right" way to eat.

How do you define clean eating?
Do you eliminate any entire categories of food?
Do you have any tips for people who are bad at moderation? -- this is the reason I gravitate toward food plans that eliminate entire categories.

Thank you all! Hope you're having a lovely weekend :smile:

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you check/search around a bit you could probably participate in one one the " clean eating " threads within the Clean Eating Group, or participate in one of the more than 100 clean eating threads that I could find through just a simple MFP search. You will find a lot of valuable information just by reading through them.

Also, " clean eating " ( whatever it might mean ) is not necessarily healthy for all. Just like anything in regard to diet, it works for some and not for others.
    You have to discover ( most people do it through trial & error ) what works for you. If you have trouble moderating and therefore feel you should cut out whole food groups, than that is what works for you. As long as you eat in a healthy way ( if health is a concern for you ) and at a deficit if you desire weight loss, you are fine.
    I cut out certain things 100% because there was no way to eat them in moderation. Now after two years I can eat rice again ( 50 gr uncooked a meal ) and be OK. Since I got fat on rice and pasta I had to cut it out completely and even now I eat pasta only every once in a while. I don't listen to the moderation people, because I know what works for me and a 65 plus pound loss is the proof. If, in order to maintain my loss and improved health, I would not care if I ever ate pasta again.
    Don't let yourself be bullied into low carb, Paleo, clean eating or whatever just because the other person does well with it. Find your own way trying different things ( and yes, that also might include trying low carb, Paleo or other ways of eating ), modifying if they work and doing something different if it doesn't, always trying for a month or so.
    The only way you can make a sustainable lifestyle change is by finding your very own way, no matter what anyone says.
    Good Luck !
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    @op - So the question is "how do YOU define 'clean eating'?
    Each to their own. My definition is not the same as Google's definition. Hope you find your own balance :smile:
  • judytoronto58
    judytoronto58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, clean eating is whole foods that have not been processed beyond recognition, had unnecessary sugars and salt added, and if possible, they're organic. I think clean eating is striving to make at least 50% of what I eat be fruits and vegetables along with whole grains or starches (i.e. potatoes) making up 25% and proteins the other 25%. (I'm plant based, so my proteins are mainly beans, chickpeas, lentils, organic tofu, tempeh, nuts and seeds.) This is the type of eating that works best for me.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    One ingredient foods from the produce and meat aisle (I am eating cheese and butter at the moment, but I don't really consider it clean). On top of that, grass fed, pasture raised, non-GMO, and organic as often as possible given my budget.

So I also define clean eating as expensive eating.
  • mandyaburieki
    mandyaburieki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi , I try to eat clean in that I have very little processed food. My macros at the moment as set by my personal trainer are 50% carb,25% protein and 25% fats. The fats have to be healthy fats, I was encouraged to use coconut oil which you can use in cooking or as a spread, avocado, nuts etc but less cheese/butter etc. Feeling much better in general.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "One ingredient foods from the produce and meat aisle (I am eating cheese and butter at the moment, but I don't really consider it clean). On top of that, grass fed, pasture raised, non-GMO, and organic as often as possible given my budget.

So I also define clean eating as expensive eating."

This is what I call clean eating too. Clean eating is food as close to its original form as possible without added preservatives, pesticides, hormones etc... I find if I make most things from scratch, its a lot more affordable. Its expensive but worth it, also I used to spend a lot of money at Starbucks, Smoothie King, etc.. and I've curbed my eating out so in reality I'm not spending that much more money.
  • judytoronto58
    Options
    Sharon009, you're so right about eating more home cooked meals. For me, the worst was popping into a Starbucks or other high end coffee place and getting a decaf soy latte - that's not clean eating, even if I used to pretend it was "better" than having a cookie or a chocolate bar.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sharon009, you're so right about eating more home cooked meals. For me, the worst was popping into a Starbucks or other high end coffee place and getting a decaf soy latte - that's not clean eating, even if I used to pretend it was "better" than having a cookie or a chocolate bar.

Judy, my homemade pumpkin spice latte blows Starbucks off the planet, made with 'clean' ingredients.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is as close to organic and non processed as possible.
    The only sugars and salts I use are natural from the earth and I eat very little dairy.
    The grains I buy are wholegrain or brown.

I have friends who are "clean eaters" and they define it as a raw vegan diet so to each their own.
  • judytoronto58
    Options
    Sharon009 wrote: »

Judy, my homemade pumpkin spice latte blows Starbucks off the planet, made with 'clean' ingredients.

Sharon, sounds delish! Would love it if you'd share your recipe.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is the basics .. fruit, veggies, lean meat, whole eggs, nuts, seeds, beans and grains. I also add in cheese lol I am not sure if that is clean or not but I eat it n peanut butter :) and I might have cows milk once or twice a year.

When I was on the 21 day fix I was supposed to eat 4 servings of meat a day ... thankfully my eggs counted. so i would have my eggs n veggies for breakfast, then a whey shake after my workout which counted as 1, then a serving for lunch ... either as a sandwich or in a salad then a serving for dinner. It was hard to eat that much meat lol
  • AmyLizK
    AmyLizK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    If you check/search around a bit you could probably participate in one one the " clean eating " threads within the Clean Eating Group, or participate in one of the more than 100 clean eating threads that I could find through just a simple MFP search. You will find a lot of valuable information just by reading through them....
    ...I don't listen to the moderation people, because I know what works for me and a 65 plus pound loss is the proof. If, in order to maintain my loss and improved health, I would not care if I ever ate pasta again.

Congratulations Ang! Well done and thanks for all the perspective.

Thank you ALL - I'd like to start participating in more threads about it because I am quite confused.
    I'm a binge eater. I was vegan for 9 months between 2012-2013. I have tried OA. I am just finishing my first Whole 30 challenge. I honestly have enjoyed and benefited from them all (except the binge eating obvs).

I like the philosophy of raw, vegan, unprocessed but that sounds really difficult.
    I feel incredibly good eating paleo-ish (the Whole 30 way) for the last 24 days.
    So I'm working my way to what works for me but am grateful to have input from others.

Thanks again!!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    FYI - I subscribe to a magazine called Clean Eating. I think it's a great starting point. It gives you meal plan ideas, recipes, etc. At this point, I am attempting to eat a bit cleaner, and vegetarian. So I read it for general recipe ideas, and inspiration.
  • Fragmoss
    Fragmoss Posts: 66 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For me, clean eating is whole foods that have not been processed beyond recognition, had unnecessary sugars and salt added, and if possible, they're organic. I think clean eating is striving to make at least 50% of what I eat be fruits and vegetables along with whole grains or starches (i.e. potatoes) making up 25% and proteins the other 25%. (I'm plant based, so my proteins are mainly beans, chickpeas, lentils, organic tofu, tempeh, nuts and seeds.) This is the type of eating that works best for me.
    OMG!!! You sound like my food twin!!!
    Wow so that's what I've been doing for the past 4 months, "clean eating" I never knew the term for it. (Besides vegan)

And hey we're both in Canada! West coast here, near Vancouver, BC.
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    AmyLizK wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! My name is Amy, I'm 32 and I've recently lost over 50lbs. However, getting my eating under control is and will be an ongoing process. I, also, would still like to lose more weight.

I'm on Day 18 of my first Whole 30.
    I like the challenge of it and I'm cooking more than I ever have, which is great. However, I'm not so fond of eating SO MUCH meat. My micro-nutrient numbers have gone up almost across the board.

I need help finding an actually healthy way to eat.
    "Clean eating" sounds appealing to me and my body is definitely responding well to not having the processed food. I am wondering if this group can help me better define the "right" way to eat.

How do you define clean eating?
    Do you eliminate any entire categories of food?
    Do you have any tips for people who are bad at moderation? -- this is the reason I gravitate toward food plans that eliminate entire categories.

Thank you all! Hope you're having a lovely weekend :smile:

• katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have found eliminating "diet" works. eat good carbs good fats good protien... and watch ur portions.... eat real.. .. nothing from a box or can.... i go to the grocery store on sunday morning cook a soup and a large healthy dish then during the week i can go to the gym spin class swim and dinner just needs to be heated up.. no excuses... it can be as simple or as elaborate as u want... i keep chix breast and fish in the freezer.. frozen chopped broccoli.... brown rice... ww pasta. Barley... my breakfast is shreaded wheat n bran skin milk 1/2 banana boiled egg for breakfast greek yogert apple and mozzarella stick for lunch... protein shake for snack... low fat trisquets for salt cravings. Glass of cabernet on sat nite.... I eat basically the same thing for lunch and breakfasts everyday then vary my dinners.... start simple then grow with it.. i like to download books and articles on my kindle
  • Stef1959
    Stef1959 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm still very new at this....but for me, it's mainly about eating more fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and eliminating processed foods as much as possible. I am especially trying to stay away from any preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, which seems to be in everything, and also msg, which goes by many different names on labels. I use real butter and olive oil in everything (and have for several years and my cholesterol is great....) I buy organic when I can, but I don't have any specialty stores near me. I eat all meats, cheeses, and lots of organic eggs, and buy my beef at the butcher so it is not sprayed with the preservatives that keep it from turning brown. I am not perfect, and I like this group because it seems to be very accepting. It is very hard to change 56 years of bad habits.