Ketosis is elusive this time around...

Options
I've been pretty strict with my carbs lately so I'm wondering why I'm not feeling that ketosis buzz. Stix are showing trace. I'm supplementing electrolytes to avoid the flu and I don't feel too bad. But I also don't feel the way I did last time I got into ketosis. Could it be that I'm just not quite there yet?

Last time I got into ketosis, it took me almost a week. And then I started feeling really good, lots of energy etc. I did a fat fast over the weekend hoping it would help give me a kickstart but still not feeling it....where am I going wrong? Or am I just being impatient? (Not exactly unheard of :tongue: ). My diary is open so please feel free to look in and advise!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but showing trace means you are in ketosis -- but you may not be fat-adapted yet so patience might be in order. Looking at your diary I would only question the sweeteners (protein powder, syrups and sweeteners).

I have to admit that I've been at this since the end of June and never got the energy surge I've had in the past. I've just chalked it up to advanced age this time!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I hate telling you this, because I know you have different ideas about it, but you are in strong ketosis.

And you're making a valiant effort at supplementing sodium, but that's the only thing I see where you're obviously short of goal.

This is going to conflict with your mental model, but here it is anyway: you were so successful at making ketones that it's causing you to feel bad, and it's because the more you make, the more sodium you need to feel good, and you're short in sodium.

So two possibilities: your idea that you're not making enough ketones, or mine that you're not getting enough sodium.

You've done the experiment for your idea by doing a fat fast. It's hard to get a better ketone boost than that.

Try a sodium experiment. Have some broth. See if makes a difference.

Of course, it's possible that we're both wrong, and it's something else completely. But I'd try to the sodium experiment as a first step.
  • InADarkRoom
    InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks both for your replies! I really struggle to choke down broth - it's not nice! I'm not a fan of pickles either! Which is why I went down the supplement route. Man is it hard to get to goal on sodium!

I was wondering if I had not done the fat fast for long enough maybe...

Thing is @wabmester I don't feel bad. I don't feel great either, like not masses of energy like last time. But I definitely don't feel bad as such. I think the supplements have definitely helped keep the flu away.

Sometimes I feel so dense! Like I'm scratching my head saying "uh....I don't get it"... :lol: I just want that feeling back darn it!!
  • wabmester
    Options
    I struggled with the sodium, too. Some people think it's the real key to feeling GREAT -- due both to the blood volume effects and maybe the neural conductivity effects.

But there is another possibility: the high-energy "buzz" from ketosis might be a temporary thing. It might be part of the adaptation process, and it goes away with time. Many people report that it diminishes with time. Possibly due to adrenal effects? I really don't know, but there's another theory for you. :)
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    I didn't think I'd been here long enough to be adapted lol. And in all fairness, I'm probably not. I guess I'll just have to keep trying. I'll maybe increase the sodium supplementation and see if that gives me the buzz!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I agree that once you are adapted the "buzz" diminishes, but you stay at a pretty high level of energy.
    If you hate broth, try getting a water flavoring that is zero-carb-zero-cal. Squirt that in your water, then dump in a quarter tsp of salt and some dashes of potassium salt and mix. It's like an electrolyte drink on steroids, as far as effect as the ones you buy in the store have a minuscule amount of electrolytes in them, and you don't taste the salt. I get tired of broth myself, so I do that.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Thanks @baconslave !! Awesome idea. I drink a ton of water so that'll be my next trick :smile:
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't love the pickles and I don't do a huge amount of broth (and I drink it for the gelatin more than the sodium). I love olives and will have them with an ounce of Brie cheese for breakfast. I also add salted butter to everything. Deli meats also have a lot of sodium if you care for them -- I particularly like prosciutto.

Just some thoughts and of course, ymmv!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The 'buzz' is no doubt some of the contrast with how you felt before. Most of us make the keto jump because we're desperate or feel like crap or both. Change can come fast on this WOE. That is often felt as the keto buzz. I think it does lessen, but the effect stays, thank God.

And I agree that salt will help.

And make sure you aren't restricting calories too much for the first few weeks.

And keep your carbs low.

My research tells me that you can be further into ketosis and that it does make a difference - although I don't test for the same reason I don't weigh daily - I need the mental emotional bandwidth for other things.

Oh, that and my carbs are low enough (20 total or less most days ) that I know I'm in ketosis without testing.

Good luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I don't love the pickles and I don't do a huge amount of broth (and I drink it for the gelatin more than the sodium). I love olives and will have them with an ounce of Brie cheese for breakfast. I also add salted butter to everything. Deli meats also have a lot of sodium if you care for them -- I particularly like prosciutto.

Just some thoughts and of course, ymmv!

Mmmmmm....olives and cheese. Haven't had that in awhile.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I add sodium via smoked salmon, kippers, sardines, hard deli meats, - salami, pepperoni, bacon!!
    Keep experimenting..Avoid alcohol and things with sugars, which in my case, seem to sap that ketosis drive.
    I also add MCT oil which seems to "kickstart" things.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't salt a lot of my foods so I add a tsp of salt to a swallow or two of water each morning. It seems to help.

I had the energy burst after I became fat adapted and my electrolytes balanced out better. The first two weeks were pretty low in energy due to electrolyte imbalance though.

I also think I noticed an energy burst because I wasn't healthy before I started. I had insulin resistance, mild reactive hypogylcemia, and some arthritic pain. It's like regaining energy after a period of illness. Maybe you were starting from a healthier place?
  • wabmester
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »

That would be a good experiment. Short- and medium-chain fats are handled differently than "normal" fats. Your body may actually increase your metabolic rate to metabolize them. The Buzz! Maybe try some coconut oil?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Alzheimer's Disease, What if There is a Cure? and in it they propose taking 6-12 Tbs of coconut oil per day to increase ketone production in individuals who are not even on a low carb diet. MCT would probably increase ketones for you. Just guessing in agreement with the others.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    See also - Bruce Fife - Conquering Alzheimer's with Coconut Ketones
    Also should work for related problems like Parkinsons

I wish there was more clinical evidence- but a strict supervised Ketone diet is a proven treatment for epilepsy
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm reading Alzheimer's Disease, What if There is a Cure? and in it they propose taking 6-12 Tbs of coconut oil per day to increase ketone production in individuals who are not even on a low carb diet. MCT would probably increase ketones for you. Just guessing in agreement with the others.

• InADarkRoom
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    slimzandra wrote: »

That would be a good experiment. Short- and medium-chain fats are handled differently than "normal" fats. Your body may actually increase your metabolic rate to metabolize them. The Buzz! Maybe try some coconut oil?

I do take MCT oil - usually first thing on a morning with the protein shake. Just like I did this morning. And the ketostix are now reading negative. Go figure. I've also tried coconut oil in the same shake. If I don't have the shake I just tend to take the MCT oil straight. It's nasty but I wash it down with water. It's not every day though I guess....maybe that makes a difference?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I am still doing 5 tablespoons of coconut oil and about the same amount of Heavy Whipping Cream in my first cup of coffee. Dr. Mary was how I learned about coconut oil and made it part of my pain management solution. After I learned about ketosis I kept the coconut oil to help replace carb calories as well.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Don't always trust the ketostix either. After becoming adapted, which I believe you are (benefits you've reported). I agree with the sodium intake. It's hard to achieve the levels we need with this woe, but with determination you can do it. Broth isn't the only way though. You've gotten some great advice here! The only other option I would recommend is fried pork skins (if they are available where you are). They have helped me! :smiley: