I have a perfectly good can of coconut milk...

JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
sitting in my fridge because someone months ago somewhere told me to put it in there and use it for something.

I have no idea what for. I don't want to waste it. Ideas?

(There they are just standing in a row...)

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2015
    Makes AWESOME Thai curries... google a recipe. I hope it's the higher fat version and not the lo-fat coconut milk. There are a lot of variations among brands.
  • JessicaLCHF
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Make chocolate chip cookies with it (I do)! Or Mexican Hot Chocolate (Yum)! I like using the LC Foods brand Coconut Cream instead of coconut milk. It's slightly thicker and has WAY MORE FAT in it (22g fat for the same serving size)!! It also has less carbs (1g) and sugars (0g) per serving too.

http://www.holdthecarbs.com/coconut-cream?search=coconut cream

I'm sure you could use it the same way in any Thai food recipe too and make them even more awesome than they already are!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Creamed veggies, yum.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    1/3 cup is used in rhubarb muffins from the Atkins website. yum.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Yogurt substitute with gelatin and culture. Google it, it's delicious.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited September 2015
    I have my Jello Recipe. If you look at the Coconut milk I use in my recipe below, it isn't as "rich" as yours (I'm going to get yours next time). :)

If you try this, let us know how it came out:

Coconut Flavored Jello

I thought it tasted way better than using water. I think it would be really nice with the Dragon milk.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 24 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Take the thicker top cream and beat it into whipped cream, or culture it into yogurt

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    My mind immediately goes to a good oka (Samoan dish using raw fish) http://www.food.com/recipe/oka-samoan-raw-fish-and-coconut-milk-458451 or http://www.samoafood.com/2011/01/oka-ia-fish-salad.html. Im sure it could be made into a keto dish with some adjustments. My mother in law makes this every year at Christmas. I had forgotten about oka actually, I think I'll make some this weekend.

Otherwise curry.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Makes a great sauce for a nice hot-cold contrast say with salmon, fish, beef, bacon, eggs, etc.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I use it in coffee or chai tea almost every day. Yum!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I've seen some who drink it with like their meds and things. Just a couple of ounces at a time, but I imagine it works well when the meds say to eat something with them. The other ideas sound great too!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I blend the cream with frozen strawberries or blackberries for instant soft-serve ice cream!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I used to use it as part of the base for smoothies when I drank them.

Nowadays, I primarily use it either for soap (yep, I do coconut milk soaps), or shampoo.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Definitely a Thai style curry or soup. I do one with chicken, peanut butter and coconut (either cream or milk). Tasty!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    I use it wherever I would use HWC.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Add to protein shake with almond milk
  • JessicaLCHF
    Definitely a Thai style curry or soup. I do one with chicken, peanut butter and coconut (either cream or milk). Tasty!

Recipe? I've never made a curry.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member

I second this. I love curry!

Super simple yet delicious
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,073 Member
    Chicken curry, or coconut milk chia seed pudding.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Heated up with cocoa powder and coffee, it makes a decent non-dairy mocha, too!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I blend the cream with frozen strawberries or blackberries for instant soft-serve ice cream!

Can't wait to try that!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    bluefish86 wrote: »

oooo...that sounds yummy! Gonna try.... Would you freeze the coconut milk too? Or maybe put in freezer until it starts to get really cold but not frozen??? (I'll experiment)...

Thank you!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 24 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I used to use it as part of the base for smoothies when I drank them.

Nowadays, I primarily use it either for soap (yep, I do coconut milk soaps), or shampoo.
    +1 for creativity but I'm not sure about the stability unless you like keeping "shampoo" or "soap" in the refrigerator...lol.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Looks like you have a low fat version.... mine is 1 serving 4 tbsp (60 ml) = 13g fat, 1g carb, 1g protein. And you can only store it in the fridge opened for 2 days unless it has a lot of extra preservatives.
  • totaloblivia

I second this. I love curry!

Super simple yet delicious

Will do but will have to be tonight.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    DittoDan wrote: »
    oooo...that sounds yummy! Gonna try.... Would you freeze the coconut milk too? Or maybe put in freezer until it starts to get really cold but not frozen??? (I'll experiment)...

Thank you!

I've tried freezing the coconut cream as well, but I've found that it doesn't blend very well when I do. Maybe if I froze it in an ice cube tray it would work better....

I usually just pop in in the fridge/freezer until it's very cold. If the "ice cream" is a bit too soft after it's blended I'll pop it back in the freezer for a half hour or so until it's less runny (but honestly, I never have the patience for that).
  • totaloblivia
    Thai chicken soup adapted for low carb

Heat coconut oil in large pan and fry garlic for 1 minute. Add 12 oz chicken, ground turmeric, chilli powder (I use fresh chilli and cook with garlic) and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.

Crumble 3 oz coconut cream into 1.5 pints/3.75 cups hot chicken stock and stir until dissolved. (You could use coconut milk instead and less chicken stock). Pour on chicken and add lemon or lime juice (I add lemon juice at the end though to retain freshness), 2 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. You can add super low carb noodles if you like. Add some chopped scallions/spring onions and chopped coriander/cilantro, season well and cook for 5 more minutes. You can add toasted coconut and chilli if you like.

Serve soup in bowls.

Hope you enjoy. It‘s very adaptable so just do what you like!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Thai chicken soup adapted for low carb

Heat coconut oil in large pan and fry garlic for 1 minute. Add 12 oz chicken, ground turmeric, chilli powder (I use fresh chilli and cook with garlic) and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.

Crumble 3 oz coconut cream into 1.5 pints/3.75 cups hot chicken stock and stir until dissolved. (You could use coconut milk instead and less chicken stock). Pour on chicken and add lemon or lime juice (I add lemon juice at the end though to retain freshness), 2 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. You can add super low carb noodles if you like. Add some chopped scallions/spring onions and chopped coriander/cilantro, season well and cook for 5 more minutes. You can add toasted coconut and chilli if you like.

Serve soup in bowls.

Hope you enjoy. It‘s very adaptable so just do what you like!

Oh thank you, thank you! I have all those ingredients! Defrosting chicken now, I'll make this tonight or tomorrow!! Appreciate it and I'll let you know how it comes out! XD happy dance...