how much did you drink post op?

Options
I'm 4 days post op. I was sleeved Friday the 18th. Yes first few days were rough but yesterday I was able to down half cup of broth by constant sipping (took maybe right under a hr). But today I feel great and was able to finish my first cup of jello completely. Just wondering am I drinking to much? Is there such thing as drinking too much post op? I'm not having any pain (aside from incision tenderness) but surprised myself at the fact that I was able to finish the jello cup. How much were you able to have few days post op?

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Do you mean in one sitting? I remember that there was a point, probably 4 or 5 days in, that it became much easier to drink.
  • Laura062513
    Laura062513 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes I meant one sitting. I was just kinda freaking out thinking I'm not suppose be able to eat a whole jello cup around this time just because of things I've heard from other people.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If your body lets you, don't worry about it. These types of slippy foods go through pretty easy. As I moved to thicker foods, they didn't move through fast at all.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    By the end of the first week, I could finish a bottle of water in about 15 minutes. You shouldn't guzzle, but if it doesn't hurt or irritate you, there is no reason to drink really slow.

Aim for 64 ounces per day as soon as you are able. Dehydration is easily the number one reason for ending up back in the hospital after WLS, and it is almost 100% avoidable.
  • mskimpel
    mskimpel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was very lucky I was able to drink well over 64 oz in just a few days post - op and fairly fast no gulping .
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Still struggling to get in 32 ounces/day at 1.5 months out. Bloated, gassy, etc. It has gotten a wee bit better this week, but a struggle nonetheless.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your body will let you know if it's too much. My cue was very heavy hicups, which were often followed by reflux if I went too fast. just take it slow until you learn your body cues.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I used a timer and took a few sips every 10 minutes until I finished my 64 for the day. I can't say it was easy but it was necessary to avoid dehydration. I used that timer for at least 3 weeks and I was to tired of hearing the reminder buzz but it worked. Now 8 months out I can drink about 5 swallows slightly bigger than a sip. I no longer use the timer but I do sip all day with the exception of 30 minutes before and after a meal.
  • reeniesing
    reeniesing Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It was like a job for me in the beginning, but it's gotten easier.