"Calories left" differences?

Options
jennmac415
jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
i have been using my new jawbone up24 for about a month now and LOVE IT! I just started this week adding my food to the my fitness pal app...the syncing is working fine between the jawbone and MFP, steps, food added...EXCEPT...my question is that even though the 2 are syncing, after I add my food for my meal, the calories I have left for the rest of the day are different between the 2, although the calories I have eaten show up as the same on them. Ideas?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Ignore your UP calories & follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments.

Your UP total burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that (250 calories for every 25 lbs. you're overweight), you will lose weight.
  • patrickdw
    patrickdw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stick with MyFitnessPall calories and ignore UP24.
  • Shazzyb71
    Shazzyb71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Go with MFP. If you burn 500 calories on the up, MFP will show less as it calculates it assuming you burn at the same rate all day (I can't explain it too well!) but if you go with MFP it will be more accurate. So... If you burn 500 calories on the up, MFP might only show 200 or 300. Ps had my up for 15 months and still love it :-)
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I go with MFP too and don't have my negative calories adjustment enabled. Some people use their TDEE instead but so far, I've lost 21 lbs just using the MFP calculations.
  • editorgrrl
    edited March 2015
    Options
    altogirl2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I go with MFP too and don't have my negative calories adjustment enabled. Some people use their TDEE instead but so far, I've lost 21 lbs just using the MFP calculations.

If you disable negative calorie adjustments, then you won't eat at a true deficit when you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level. Enable them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Your UP total burn is TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. If you enable negative calorie adjustments, then you're eating TDEE minus deficit.
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    altogirl2 wrote: »

If you disable negative calorie adjustments, then you won't eat at a true deficit when you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level. Enable them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Your UP total burn is TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. If you enable negative calorie adjustments, then you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

OK, you've convinced me! I'm going to try this. (Be brave - self talk)!

• editorgrrl
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

I started logging in November 2012, but I wasn't really losing much. I got an UP in May 2013, and soon after everything "clicked" for me. I love my UP!
  • SaraAlf
    SaraAlf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm am so glad someone has posted the same question as what I have been trying to understand. I have used MFP for years on and off as I have found it a nice way to check my eating habits and explore new recipes I am making are healthy and esp. keeping my iron levels in check and eating enough protein.

My mum who already has an UP24 got me one last month. But what I find so odd is that say I eat 1598 calories in a day according to MFP, my UP says I burned 1887 for the day but then my UP app says I have 190 calories left. Isn't that 289? It is odd it is normally out in a range of 250-100 calories each time. (spreadsheeted my data like a geek). It doesn't really matter for me as usually the next day I look at the up stuff, so any effect that little green arrow would have on me is kinda pointless.

Am curious if anyone has used the UP app for logging food, and any good? I am curious when it gives me the 9.1 score for my dinner right now whether the UP actually understands I am eating a big bowl of risotto. Tempted to unsync MFP and test the two out to compare.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Ignore your UP calories & follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments.

Your UP total burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that (250 calories for every 25 lbs. you're overweight), you will lose weight.

This isn't totally correct...if you set your up for weight loss it does give you a deficit in your calories. I personally log here and sync the two but if you choose to not log here in the future your up does give you a deficit when you put in weight loss goal less than your current weight.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Am curious if anyone has used the UP app for logging food, and any good? I am curious when it gives me the 9.1 score for my dinner right now whether the UP actually understands I am eating a big bowl of risotto. Tempted to unsync MFP and test the two out to compare.

Since food only syncs one way—from MFP to UP—I've never tried logging food in UP. But I've heard the database is much smaller than MFP's.

In my opinion, the UP food score is 100% rubbish. I ignore it.

https://jawbone.com/blog/nutrition-design-problem-food-score/
    Today, there are more than 15 metrics on every nutrition label, which is overwhelming to most. Our mission with Food Score was not to replace the nutritional label, but to make the information much more digestible. Food Score takes those 15 numbers, analyzes them, then distills the information down to one easy-to-read number. While a single score sacrifices granularity and some personalization, the resulting simplicity makes it easy—and even fun—to eat well.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm also really confused about how to interpret between the Up3 and MFP deficits.

I had an indirect calorimetry done at a local university and found that I have a resting burn of 1555. So as a result, I know I want to eat at least this amount no matter what, to avoid lowering my metabolism.

So on any given day, I burn (according to Up3) between ~2070 - 2500

Up3 shows ~480 deficit (which it won't let me adjust beyond "lose weight").

so, I have relied primarily on MFP to show me my deficit, but still... I never feel confident as to what that really is.

What I would like to know is my ACTUAL burn in the day, and let me decide my deficit. I would stay somewhere 500 - 750. How should I set up MFP to do so?

How is Up3 determining what to send MFP for activity calories? I cannot seem to figure this out for the life of me!