im trying to be lchf daily but... sleeping

Options
13-14 hrs a day Why? Celiac? I have no Celiac.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A lot of people report changes in sleep patterns. Some have trouble sleeping. Some sleep better than ever.

You want to know why? There appear to be links between melatonin (the sleep hormone) and insulin. Perhaps melatonin sensitivity declines with declining insulin sensitivity, and as this diet improves our insulin sensitivity, melatonin sensitivity increases as well.

That seems to be the case for me. My sleep cycles are now much more sensitive to light.

The actual mechanism to wake you up in the morning is a big squirt of cortisol. Maybe your levels are too low? Adrenal fatigue? We're all mysteries. :)

Try some light therapy.

Entrainment
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is this new since you started LCHF? I started last week and noticed that I was extremely sleepy (almost feel asleep driving which I have NEVER done before). It started on about day 2 and lasted 2-3 days. I had to increase my sodium intake and have started taking magnesium supplement. I will be starting potassium supplement today and have started taking a tsp of apple cider vinegar with mother twice a day and my energy level has increased....
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Finding your balance with this woe will take a little time, but once you're there, it's a great place to be. Don't be afraid of sodium, magnesium, or potassium. They are your friends and can help you get adjusted easier. My problem was the opposite. I wasn't sleeping more than a few hours at a time, but since I started the potassium supplement I am sleeping much better! Good luck! :smiley:
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Magnesium can be a bit sedating (CNS depressant if dosed too high); just dose it near bedtime if possible. Yes, Keto actually promotes sleep in some ways...might as well embrace it. Theoretically, Keto (as well as Vit B6) helps with Epilepsy/Seizure by promoting the effects of gamma-amino-butyric-acid (GABA), an inhibitory neurotransmitter that counters that stabilizes cell membranes & promotes relief from anxiety, stress, & hyperexcitation as well as counter the effects of "fight or flight" stimulatory neurotransmitters like Epinephrine & Norepinephrine/Noradrenaline. Essentially, GABA is a counter-regulatory neurotransmitter.

Sorry for being so "text-book". But yeah, climate & seasonal change with daytime light usually strikes me this time of year as well with getting more sleep than usual...same with you perhaps?
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My sleep pattern has changed also. I have no problem falling asleep, but can't stay asleep. I wake up all through the night, and have to force myself back to sleep, and sometimes that doesn't work so I end up watching tv until I have to go to work (5am sometimes). I googled it and also read about the changes in insulin causing changes to melatonin. I was thinking of buying a melatonin supplement and see if that works.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been kinda wired at night the first few days of my keto diet. But have allowed myself to sleep later than ideal partly to give my body a break from all the changes and get enough rest, but also because I haven't wanted to go to sleep at night until late sometimes. Think it is kinda balancing back out a bit more now though. Also I can't ever remember to take magnesium before bed, I usually do it on an empty stomach in the morning when I'm thinking about supplements
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Theoretically, Keto (as well as Vit B6) helps with Epilepsy/Seizure by promoting the effects of gamma-amino-butyric-acid (GABA), an inhibitory neurotransmitter that counters that stabilizes cell membranes & promotes relief from anxiety, stress, & hyperexcitation as well as counter the effects of "fight or flight" stimulatory neurotransmitters like Epinephrine & Norepinephrine/Noradrenaline. Essentially, GABA is a counter-regulatory neurotransmitter.

I enjoy your posts, V. :)

There are also changes in glutamate. Good summary here:
    http://caloriesproper.com/ketosis-anti-brain-fog-neurotransmitters-dietary-protein-and-the-gut-microbiome/

Some people report a cure of their insomnia, and I think this is the reason.

Others report insomnia as a side effect. Shrug.