My story ...

Options
kekolber
kekolber Posts: 11 Member
... so I mentioned I was gonna try and share some amazing lessons I've learned from my dietician.

But wanted to give you some general background first - I've always been fit but put on a ton of weight when I went back to school several years ago. Graduated last December and set a goal to take off 91 pounds. To date, I'm down 44 and looking to do another 19 before Mexico.

So I start to diet in December based on the way I used to eat when I was fit. Surprise, surprise, my metabolism wasn't the same at 45 as it was at 40. After 2.5 months of trying as hard as I can and only 6 pounds lost, frustration drove me to a registered dietitian - note that you'll never see me use the word dietitian without registered before it :-).

The initial consult was a hoot!
Dietitian: So when do you eat? Karen: Well it varies.
Dietitian: So what do you eat? Karen: Hmmm I'm not sure, maybe some eggs and fruit smoothies.
Dietitian: So do you eat after dinner? Karen: Well my job is crazy so I usually eat dinner 9ish.
Dietitian: When do you sleep? Karen: Totally depends - I have 2 jobs and go to school, so whenever I can.

Get the drift lol ... I'm shocked she didn't just laugh in my face!

So homework for first week (and note throughout this journey, she never threw the lobster (me) in the pot of boiling water lol.

1) sign-up for myfitnesspal, give her my password so she can assess my eating patterns and report back in a week
2) eat within the first hour of rising in the morning (girl says while stuffing a spoonful of Greek strawberry greek yogurt in her face)

Hope this isn't a bore, and if nothing else helps one person by sharing what I've found to be some helpful tips ...

Replies

• jenclittle76
    jenclittle76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    kekolber wrote: »
    ... so I mentioned I was gonna try and share some amazing lessons I've learned from my dietician.

But wanted to give you some general background first - I've always been fit but put on a ton of weight when I went back to school several years ago. Graduated last December and set a goal to take off 91 pounds. To date, I'm down 44 and looking to do another 19 before Mexico.

So I start to diet in December based on the way I used to eat when I was fit. Surprise, surprise, my metabolism wasn't the same at 45 as it was at 40. After 2.5 months of trying as hard as I can and only 6 pounds lost, frustration drove me to a registered dietitian - note that you'll never see me use the word dietitian without registered before it :-).

Dietitian: So what do you eat? Karen: Hmmm I'm not sure, maybe some eggs and fruit smoothies.
    Dietitian: So do you eat after dinner? Karen: Well my job is crazy so I usually eat dinner 9ish.
    Dietitian: When do you sleep? Karen: Totally depends - I have 2 jobs and go to school, so whenever I can.

So homework for first week (and note throughout this journey, she never threw the lobster (me) in the pot of boiling water lol.

1) sign-up for myfitnesspal, give her my password so she can assess my eating patterns and report back in a week
    2) eat within the first hour of rising in the morning (girl says while stuffing a spoonful of Greek strawberry greek yogurt in her face)

Hope this isn't a bore, and if nothing else helps one person by sharing what I've found to be some helpful tips ...
    kekolber wrote: »

• jenclittle76
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Would love to have some more tips. I think logging your food is really smart. Most of us don't realize with snacking, how many calories we are taking in and esp with drinking. Even a few glasses of wine is another few hundred calories. I will commit to do this tomorrow. I've been a big ole slacker being away at work conference. Tomorrow I start fresh!!

I know you can reach your goal girl!! Keep it up and it will happen! You've got this!
  • kekolber
    Options
    BTW if you preview your post make sure not to double-post it like I did lol!
  • jenclittle76
    Options
    Ok thanks!
  • markleymd
    markleymd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I grew up playing sports but always thought I was fat, so I made that a reality. I gain weight and used to weight a lot. I mean a lot. In 2001 I started playing soccer again just for fun. Then I started exercising because I was super stressed with school and it helped with the stress. Next thing I knew I had lost 80 lbs. I slowly gained back 30 or 40 pounds. I was pissed. In 2009 I decided to lose weight. This time it was planned.
    I think the key is to log all the food you eat. I log food every time I gain a little weight. I've kept the weight off now for 6 years. I'm looking to lose 10 more pounds to be in the best shape of my life.
    It's very helpful to know there are Phans who are helping each other and getting healthy!
  • markleymd
    Options
    Before and after pictures.
  • kekolber
    Options
    So inspiring @markleymd!
  • markleymd
    Options
    Thank you! @kekolber
  • jenclittle76
    Options
    You look amazing @markleymd!! You should so very very proud of yourself!!! Stick with it !
  • mcgrawby
    mcgrawby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring!