Make Ahead Grilled Chicken

Options
leroberts6
leroberts6 Posts: 4 Member
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are frequently on sale so we stock up! I marinate 4 or 5 pounds with one type of seasoning and another 4 or 5 pounds with another type of seasoning. I use a small amount of olive oil on my hands to rub on the chicken. Then I cook all of them on the charcoal grill. When they're finished I chop some of them for use in salads and slice others for other uses. It so handy to have for use throughout the week! Next time they're at a great price, I am going to do the same and put a bunch in the freezer for use this winter when it's too windy, cold and snowy to grill.

Replies

• NicoleK31
    NicoleK31 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nice! How would you cook these indoor? Any suggestions?
  • modaniels250
    modaniels250 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could pan sear them in Olive Oil Spray, on cold days.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually grill an extra breast or two when we grill out, then slice them and freeze them. I then put them in the freezer in individual portion zip-lock bags. I can easily throw a baggie of the chicken in my lunch box and put on greens from the salad bar at work. It is a huge time saver. It works with other meats, too. I have some grilled steak in the freezer right now, too. That way I can control how they are cooked and seasoned. It is much healther that way than to use high sodium deli meat on a salad.
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I often bake them in the oven in large batches for the same reasons. Use some for salad, some for eggs, some for sandwiches, sometimes just to snack on!
  • felixthemaster1
    felixthemaster1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So after you freeze them cooked, do you microwave them or do you have to use the stove so it won't ruin the texture?
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I freeze them raw but this is such a better way to do it.

What kind of seasoning do people use? I'm finding I'm getting real bored with chicken lately.
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    I freeze them raw but this is such a better way to do it.

What kind of seasoning do people use? I'm finding I'm getting real bored with chicken lately.

I do several things, depending on what I plan to do with them. I will marinate them in a Balsamic vinaigrette sometimes and add the calories for half of serving, although even that is probably high since you discard a lot at the end. You can use any flavor of vinaigrette, depending on what you want to use the chicken for. I often use a Lite Vinaigrette to save calories. If you really want to keep the sodium down, Costco has a good no sodium seasoning that adds a bit of a Southwest kick, IMO. Good flavor, though. I also use it in eggs for a low sodium breakfast.
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    So after you freeze them cooked, do you microwave them or do you have to use the stove so it won't ruin the texture?
    I use them cold (defrosted) in salads. If I throw a bag n my lunch bag they are usually perfect by the time I eat. Otherwise, a few seconds in the microwave will warm them up nicely. Just don't do it for more than about 20 seconds or you will have dried out chicken.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's 116 degrees. I think I'll wait until winter to grill B)
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You could pan sear them in Olive Oil Spray, on cold days.

this is how I cook all my meats because we don't have a grill. I prefer it this way because it doesn't dry out as fast
  • carolinewek
    carolinewek Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here is a link to chicken marinade. I've used the Greek marinade & the chicken/veggie recipe. Both were pretty tasty. Hope this helps your chicken boredom. I feel the same way...
    http://communitytable.parade.com/404086/stephaniemanley/7-easy-marinades-for-chicken/
  • wherethetrailends35
    wherethetrailends35 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    im lucky i work in food wholesalers in england chicken really cheap
  • paulsamklyne383
    paulsamklyne383 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use a George Foreman grill for chicken fillets
  • MakGun
    MakGun Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Get a deep cookie sheet and place tin foil over it but pull up in two places to make a divider so you have three spots. Cut your chicken up into bit sized pieces and put them into three gallon zip locs. Then marinate each bag however you like and let them sit over night in the fridge. Place each bag in a separate area on the cookie sheet and you can back three different floors of chicken at the same time.
    Some of my favorites are fat free Italian dressing, franks hot sauce and teriyaki. Hope this helps!
  • Rhubarbarian
    Rhubarbarian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas. Another one I was shown by a chef involved cutting a boneless chicken breast in half long ways so you have two thinner pieces, then pounding them even thinner with either a mallet or the edge of a plate. Dredge in a little salt, pepper and flower. Pan sear in a little olive oil and serve immediately with marinara sauce or freeze for later use. Since the chicken is so thin, it thaws out quickly without the need of a microwave.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always cook extra chicken, steak, pork when we grill. Whatever is left over gets either sliced/diced and frozen to use in stir fry, chop suey, stew or any other recipe. I just add it to the other ingredients frozen and reheat it that way.
  • kellapicola
    kellapicola Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of chicken breasts and one of the best ways so far is that I trim off any fat first then I use FlavorGod spices--they are the BEST and have no sugar added to them and taste amazing and have a bunch of flavors--Everything Spicy is my favorite right next to Garlic Lovers! I turn on the oven to 450 degrees then I pound out the chicken breasts so that they are all pretty equal in size and then I sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the seasonings and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. I bake them in the oven for 20 minutes and then take them out and let them rest for 5-10 minutes and then cut them up. I always make a bunch so I have them readily available for breakfast/lunches, snack...my kids (9 & 14) love them!
  • prom0
    prom0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually rub the chicken breast with a little bit of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Heat up a non-stick skillet on high heat bare, no oil necessary; and get the chicken some color by seering them for 45 seconds or so on each side. Then I bake them at 375 for about 35 minutes and then let them rest. I put the little bit of drippings from the pan into the skillet and reduce it to cook some extra flavorful greens.

This chicken is pretty good for salads, sandwiches, wraps or fajitas.
  • sharrontomlinson
    sharrontomlinson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I marinate my chicken usually breast or tenderloins over night...layer them in a container add a little lemon juice and lemon pepper then mix up Greek yoghurt and a generous amount of garlic... Pour over the chicken...this combination makes the chicken very tender and tasty!! Then I cook in a little garlic oil in a pan...they are great cold to have with your salad the next day...
  • LindyP2
    LindyP2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My trainer wants me to treat breakfast like any other meal, so I bought a bunch of pre-portioned chicken and do this on Sundays. I find a rub that sounds interesting to use on the chicken. Pan cook them with olive oil, let them cool, and pop them in the fridge for the week. I eat it cold to keep mornings simple with a green smoothie.