Not eating, not drinking protein, and pouting!

Options
Hey all...
I'm a newly sleeved individual (8/18) and everything started off fine (despite the puking while in the hospital and having to stay an extra day...but I got better from there).

But now I can't drink milk, soy milk, almond milk;, I CANNOT AND WILL NOT ingest protein powders (I even tried sugar free Carnation instant breakfast as recommended by my NUT but...yeah no), any protein based foods I can't deal with it.

About 90% of the time I'd rather not eat, drink...nothing. Foods make me nauseous and I can't deal with the nausea and any of those foods.

I know I need more protein but the shakes physically make me ill and I'm kind of stuck. I'm waiting for my NUT to call me back but I'm literally at my wits end because I'm determined to not eat and just drink water and crystal light...

Have any of you been thru this? What did you do to come out of it?

Thanks

Replies

• martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing maybe half of what you are. I was sleeved 8/10/15. (Also had the nausea thing, but no puking.) Two weeks in, the nausea left, and my only remaining "issue" is heartburn (which is slowly getting better). BUT I HATE PROTEIN POWDERS. I hate that eating has been all about protein. My clinic has hired a new dietician, who I haven't met with yet. So I haven't talked to her. So although the hospital dietician said my daily goal was 60 grams, there aint no way I'm getting that much. If I make 35-45 is a good day. (My doctor is a vegan, so i want more plant based foods, and not processed protein.) Also, I'm vegetarian / pescatarian.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yeah, protein is the name of this game, though, and not getting it in can cause a lot of other complications. Have you tried any of the unflavored powders? Musclegen makes a flavorless one that is highly rated, and very concentrated. You could add that to almost anything: soups, pudding, sugar-free Kool Aid. http://www.amazon.com/Musclegen-Research-Genepro-Protein-Powder/dp/B00K6OSDYA
    Read the reviews, a lot of the positive ones sound like people experiencing the same problem.

You can also get a huge chunk of protein from plain greek yogurt. the Fage 2% individual cup contains 22g. This is definitely a serious issue that you need to find a resolution to ASAP. I ended up developing a sensitivity to a whey protein that I was taking. It caused me an hour worth of firey pain after drinking. I switched over to soy protein, and that helped a lot. It still does not taste "good" but it's drinkable. I make it taste better by adding some pressed coffee, and maybe a splash of sugar-free syrup to add some sweetness.

I hope you find something that works soon. Keep this updated.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Isopure drinks? They are clear so they might not upset your stomach as much. Also, Nashua Nutrition sells protein soups that might work for you. Some are broth-y, some are creamier, but maybe something savory might be more agreeable to you. Honestly, in the beginning, I didn't feel like eating, but I had to do it, so I did. For the longest time, I scheduled my eating. I know it's hard but you HAVE to do it. Protein is important at your stage and forever more. Eating will always be all about the protein.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    A lot of the nausea people get is a result of dehydration. Increase your fluid intake. It can also be lactose intolerance, which many people develop post surgery.

Ignore protein if you want, but do so at your own peril. About the least dangerous side effect of getting no protein in will be serious hair loss. The worst will be losing muscle, and your heart is the most important muscle. You really just need to look at water and protein as medicine right now. There are a billion different kinds out there. Try those you mix with water, or broth, coffee, or tea flavors. Some are hot, some cold. You may not like it, but it's what you signed up for. This is food as nutrition, not food as fun. It will get easier as you go along.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I put the musclegen protein powder mentioned above in Crystal Light. I don't notice it's there (beyond giving my jug an extra shake periodically), and it makes getting my protein extremely easy.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do the same, but it is with Isopure unflavored. I like it in the mango passion fruit flavor of the crystal light drops.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I didn't like milk type protein drinks after surgery. I opted for Syntax Nectar protein mix. I used the Strawberry Kiwi and added 1 package of crystal light lemonade to cut the sweetness. You can purchase from Amazon, The Vitamin Shoppe or Drug Emporium.

I agree with one of the above posters, you need your protein to assist in preventing muscle loss. Plus you will feel so much better if you meet the protein requirements. Good luck.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I agree with Loveshoe, I had a hard time with the thicker milk based protein drinks after surgery but I tried the syntrax nectar mix in Fuzzy navel and strawberry kiwi and had no problem getting those down. They mix with water so they are thinner and go down more like a juice. I also used the ready to drink isopure drinks from GNC the flavors take some getting used to but you get a lot of protein in those too. Good luck!
  • yorubaqueen
    yorubaqueen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! I did try another expensive one from GNC and it immediately made me want to puke lol....so I think it is a whey sensitivity. I have been eating as much protein as possible...I've been able to stomach some Greek yogurt lately but between that and the one ounce (if that) of meat I can eat per meal I'm only getting about 30-35 grams per day. I'm going to look at some more GNC products and maybe give a soy or plant based protein a try....I've looked into the isopure and that's a bit on the high side for me...but I'm going to continue to look for alternatives and continue eating as much,protein as I can. Thank you all so much!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You may want to try Spirutein - it's not whey based. And, you can buy individual serving packets, so you don't need to invest in a big can. It's a little gritty, but taste good mixed with a banana or other fruit and some non-dairy milk.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I make a sugar free limeade with stevia and unflavored Syntrax Nectar protein powder. I find it to be a much more refreshing way to add some protein to my day.