How long before I re-adapt?

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
I slipped down the slippery slope of Carb creep after 4 successful months on Keto. I managed to bring myself back to Keto after 2 months and 2kgs regained. I'm wondering if it will take as long to get keto adapted as it did the first time round. Is there some form of keto 'muscle memory' that I can rely on to make this a fairly painless process? Or is it going to be hell on wheels again for the first couple of weeks?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Maikanyenga I have just been out for a few days and was back in ketosis in 12-24 hours.

The Keto Flu seems to come from our brains due to withdrawal from Grains per William Davis MD. Were you into breads, drinks with high fructose corn syrup and other grain based foods over the last two months?

It was 2 hellish weeks for me last year but my age and long term grain usage made my addiction harder to break from those addictive chemicals in the grains perhaps.

If it is hard for you it will be worth the pain based on my gains from living in nutritional ketosis for the past year.

Best of success.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Maikanyenga I have just been out for a few days and was back in ketosis in 12-24 hours.

The Keto Flu seems to come from our brains due to withdrawal from Grains per William Davis MD. Were you into breads, drinks with high fructose corn syrup and other grain based foods over the last two months?

It was 2 hellish weeks for me last year but my age and long term grain usage made my addiction harder to break from those addictive chemicals in the grains perhaps.

If it is hard for you it will be worth the pain based on my gains from living in nutritional ketosis for the past year.

Best of success.

I don't drink sugary sodas even when I'm not trying to lose weight. My greatest indulgence was crunchy corn snacks, French fries and popcorn. I don't handle wheat very well so I rarely eat cakes, breads etc. I did though during my foray into carb land and boy did I pay the price.

I did not get the Keto flu the first time round, I was just ravenous the whole time. The time funny enough I have headaches, fatigue, sleepiness etc and for the first time I had to up my sodium. I'm wondering how long this will last. I've been back on the wagon for about a week now.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The keto flu (and the headaches you're getting) are all about sodium losses. It's not really an "adaptation" thing, but the kidneys do adapt and you'll stop losing as much sodium after a while.

There is literally some muscle memory, especially if you exercise. One of the things that happens during adaptation is the creation of new mitochondria in the muscle cells. I'm not sure how long it would take to lose them, but they should stick around for a while, and they're responsible for the increased fat metabolism in muscle tissue.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This sort of question that has the same answer, ultimately. That answer is, to limit carbs to go into Ketosis. If it takes you some time to jump back to burning fat, you'd have to do the same thing (limit carbs) as if the situation were the opposite and you became ketogenic right away. From what I understand it's just an energy cycle so technically even carb heavy eaters can go to ketosis if the situation is ripe for it (prolonged fast, etc.). The benefits come after spending some time in that state though, so again, the answer is the same; keep keto-ing on!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »
    If it takes you some time to jump back to burning fat, you'd have to do the same thing (limit carbs) as if the situation were the opposite and you became ketogenic right away.

That aspect of ketosis (the fat burning) happens pretty quickly. As mentioned in another thread, you'll get about 90% of your energy needs from fat starting in just a couple days. That's true for everybody, and it's just a simple matter of carb restriction.

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Lots of salt and jump in with both feet. Don't half**** things.

Some readapt quickly, with others it's harder - totally individual and depending on on your own system.

Work on the mental end of things - AS important as anything else you do.

Research like crazy and work on a long term mindset.

Oh, and your scale is a bully. Don't let it lead your emotions.

You got this!