Anyone age 55-65?

Options
Newbie. Formerly 130 my whole life until 50. Now over 215, health probs and back/arthritis as of 2009. So fat I can hardly move (unfortunately mostly gut fat). First day on this site. Looking to take 1 day at a time. Problem is emotional eating. I m a great ( from scratch, ) fresh food cook and knows tons about nutrition, yet overeating from stress etc and zero exercise is a big problem. Looking for a few people of similar age to keep track with weekly. Thanks! E.

Replies

• bbycakes1963
    bbycakes1963 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm only 52 but I feel much older, does that count? I have exactly the same problem as you've described :-) I also overeat (binge eat sometimes) from stress.....Maybe we can swap some healthy recipes.. Or just help motivate each other! I've never been slim but now I'm more than 200 pounds and also feeling it in my joints and back... Exercise is also a particular problem for me, I always seem to have an excuse! I would be pleased to have a motivational buddy....
  • eeeeileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Will write more when I m in a better mood. I have to say, though, that us using the food diary tracker is working positively for me since I started last tues. I feel " accountable", somehow, which is great, since the app dares me to meet the proper food balance. I don t deprive, and can fit most of my fave foods within my personal parameters.
  • bbycakes1963
    Options
    I've been back to tracking for almost a week and it has been working well. Today was really the first time I felt hungry... And I ate too much at dinner because I didn't want to put just a little back in the fridge, how dumb is that! Now I feel too full and I'm annoyed with myself. I hope I was doing well enough the rest of the week that this won't screw up my progress too much. I hope your mood will improve soon friend! Talk anytime you like!
    Options
    Thanks. I would enjoy mutual motivation w one person. I will attempt to write here once a wk. Late night eating is my major prob, plus hideous sleeping habits and not working right now. Will try and gradually change those things. I also use a pedometer app, even though slow walking is the only exercise I can do right now. Better than nothing. I aim for 2,000- 4,000 steps. 4,000 on a rare very motivated day. I try not to beat myself up if I m not perfect every day. I aim for 85-95%, and then, if I screw up something like last nite, I just forget about it, own up to it, and make my next meal way better and challenge myself to keep with the tracker.
  • bbycakes1963
    Options
    Hello! I will also try to write once a week, you can be my new accountability buddy if you are willing. I really admire your commitment regarding tracking steps. I have not found a good tracker yet that seems to be very accurate, what do you use? I know that I sit too much and every day I promise I will go for a walk but usually I don't. I'm sitting here looking at my treadmill and I haven't been on it in more than six months!! Ok tell you what. By the time we talk next week I pledge to walk 30 minutes at least three times...thank-you for giving me someone to be accountable to.

I'm really sympathetic to the sleep issues, definitely that can play havoc with your eating habits too. I wonder if you were to prepare some healthy snacks before bed, ones that would fit in your daily calorie allowance, if you would be able just to eat those at night? I hope you get a good nights rest tonight anyway, and that you have a good week. Talk to you again next Sunday!!
  • 4J0ann
    4J0ann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi! 60+ retired female Been wishing to lose 20-30 pounds for the last 15 years. 6-10 pounds off and back on several times. Stress and lonliness = the on times Now I am motivated to get that weight off an arthritic hip but stressed by an ailing, grumpy spouse. I would love to find some like minded people so we could support and encourage each other.
  • bbycakes1963
    Options
    Hello 4JOann! I'll be happy to cheer you on, it's so important to have support. I wish you a peaceful and balanced day!
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I love this site s food tracker, it takes a bit of practice, but now it s a cinch since it keeps a list of all foods you have eaten. I always overestimate a bit, just to be safe. I feel that it s very accurate, but you HAVE to click and change the portion size if your item is not the default. I don t get overly crazed with it, though. I try and keep between 1200- 1350. Imho, the worst mistake I 've made is becoming TOO obsessive about losing wght. I m just trying to gradually change certain bad habits.Today was an excellent day...fresh veggie, fruit, all non processed food shopping!. Cheaper, too. My refrig is very colorful. I even allowed myself 1/2 a dunkin donut. One can indulge one item a wk and still succeed. Deprivation never works.
    Options
    I use an android app called Pedometer. It s a blue icon with 2 footprints. Excellent walking tracker.
  • bbycakes1963
    Options
    So glad to hear that you had a good day! My iPhone tracks steps but it doesn't seem very accurate... But I got the first of my three half hour walks in yesterday anyway. Good luck to everyone today!
  • bbycakes1963
    Options
    I did my three walks, and boy was it hot today. I hope everyone else is doing great.
  • lindabortner
    lindabortner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been a stress eater since i was a child. I remember sneaking food into my bedroom. At 57 i am finally coming to terms with my eating disorder. I have lost 44 pounds but continue to struggle every single day. One day at a time with a slow and steady pace. When i do binge, I try to figure out why and i do not beat myself up about it. I also have very supportive friends and family.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I'm also coming to grips with a life long pattern of eating disorders. Losing and gaining 100 pounds about 3 times. I'm getting up towards my sixties and have recently lost 127 pounds. When I try to switch to maintaining I just seem to revert to gaining. So this time, with the help of this app, I plan to continue daily logging and weighings as part of what I need to do forever. I would love to reach a place in my life where food does not have to be so important, and where I could trust in my ability to make reasonable choices - but it appears that may not happen for me and I can only hope to minimize the damage gping forward. I just don't have the stamina another 100 pound yo yo swing. So now I am trying to talk about feelings instead of eating them.
  • David28078
    David28078 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, 54, Male business owner. I'm embarrassed that my customers have to see me like this. I have real trouble putting on sox and shoes. I have taken some 'therapy time' to temper my self loathing now at the 'tackle the problem' stage. I am working very hard to have a fun retirement - I need to live to that day! I have lost big weight before when I first got sober years ago - I CAN DO IT AGAIN.