How quickly did the low carb flu start for you

Options
So I just started the low carb journey in earnest yesterday. I wasn't eating super high-carb prior, but decided to reduce my fruit and eliminate grains for a while to help with weight loss and hopefully seasonal allergies (which this year have lasted all spring and summer and now into fall) as well as IBS.

Today I feel like I have a cold. I knew to expect that, but wasn't expecting it so soon (2nd day in). Sipping on some bouillon right now and starting to feel a bit better already.

Just curious how soon after starting low carb others got the low carb flu (if at all) and your favorite ways to ease the discomfort.

Sorry I'm kinda new to this, though have been dipping my toes in the low carb/primal waters for a while now and reading a lot in this group. Thanks in advance

Replies

• knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Day three was the worse for me
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I didn't do cold turkey. I was lowering my carbs slowly
    before I found this group. Went I got to about 5% carbs
    I was already drinking bouillon so I avoided the flu.

>:) OR o:)

• mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was already drinking bouillon so I avoided the flu.

Good to know - how much bouillon/day? I am amazed at how quickly and well it worked! Still congested, but that's the "seasonal" allergies that haven't ceased this year! My energy perked back up after about 15 minutes.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think it hit me by the second day. I was tired, sort of weak, and had a headach. Keep up the bullion. :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Days 4-6. The rest aren't that bad. I don't remember which ones got me the first time, though. But I'm pretty sure even if I felt bleh on other days, I still got it the worst on 4-6.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    >:) I was already drinking bouillon so I avoided the flu.

Good to know - how much bouillon/day? I am amazed at how quickly and well it worked! Still congested, but that's the "seasonal" allergies that haven't ceased this year! My energy perked back up after about 15 minutes.

I replaced my coffee at coffee break with bouillon.
    It's the salt I'm really after, the soup just tastes good.
    On the weekends I usually skip it.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sipping on some bouillon right now and starting to feel a bit better already.

Yay! The salt will set you free! (Of flu, that is.)

I never had it bad. Some weird sinus thing. Mild headache. Mild fatigue. And lightheadedness. Especially after exercise. Eventually, I figured out that the more salt I had, the less severe the symptoms I had. It took me a while to understand why that is.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think it was during week 2 for me. I felt exhausted, lightheaded and had bad cramps in my calves. I started drinking chicken broth, pickle juice and purchased some magnesium and potassium supplements.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    it hit quickly (by the end of the first day), was at its worst the second day and part of the third, and I had patches of feeling fine the end of the third day. I was feeling great by the end of the fourth day, and so was my husband. We did very low carb though (always under 15 net, usually under 10). We started the vitamins a few days beforehand though.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! My symptoms are just feeling tired and like I'm battling a head cold/flu. Which is tough to tell if it's anything other than my allergies flaring.

@110challenge and @nvmomketo - I am so glad I'm not alone in getting it so quickly. @wabmester - "The salt will set you free" LOL!!!!!! This is my new mantra. You also mentioned the importance of sodium in another thread (which is how I remembered that bouillon is recommended in a couple books I've read on low carb)

@Jbarnes1210 - I've been taking magnesium to help with sleep off and on for a few months, so glad to hear that will help - I'll start taking it nightly for now. And I was getting potassium from bananas, so may have to supplement since they're so high in carbohydrate. And pickle juice!!! Of course! What a fabulous excuse to eat pickles and drink the juice.

Seriously, the people in this group are so helpful on all of the threads I've checked out! Thank you!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I never had any symptoms at all. I managed to avoid it altogether. I had already gone without candy, my only carb problem really, for an entire month before I started Keto. I had not cut any other carbs at all until the day I started.
    I didn't have a lot of broth, maybe every other day... I got most of my sodium from pickles, olives and pickle juice. I love pickles! Always have! And I was fully on the bacon bandwagon so I was eating quite a bit of that too. And of course adding salt to all foods. I don't think I ever felt any of the "flu" symptoms until I started walking. I would come back feeling dehydrated and again, pickle juice would fix me right up!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I felt mildly light-headed for about 1 hour on the fourth day. Apart from that - nothing!
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    Day 2 for me. Broth is a godsend. And tons of water. And well, coffee. Coffee makes everything better.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    Day 2 for me. Broth is a godsend. And tons of water. And well, coffee. Coffee makes everything better.

Okay, that's when it seemed to hit me (yesterday). Today I feel a bit better. And yes, coffee makes everything better! I can't believe how much water I'm drinking - I always try to drink about 64oz/day, but I drank almost 100 oz yesterday!
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Day 2. Felt like garbage and had a migraine for a week. So awful {shudder}.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Day 2 and 3 were the worst for me. I had also eliminated caffeine so I was going through caffeine withdrawal. Chicken broth and dill pickles were my saviour. lol
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Seems like the keto flu really sneaks up on folks who don't expect it. As in "what the heck is going on with me?!?"

It also seems like it can be largely avoided by salt / broth in good quantities from day 1. There are still symptoms because your body is changing, but definitely mitigated by salt / broth intake.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Something that seems to happen quite often is "drinking a lot water", but that means you need even more salt. There is a balance of sodium and water to feel right. Lots of water and normal sodium levels dilutes it and can produce the same feeling as if the sodium level were low. Just be aware of this. Drink all the water you want, but keep the balance in mind.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    For those of us who don't like salt on our food.
    Morton"s Lite Salt is pretty good & a good source
    of potassium.

Sunny_Bunny started me on this. :smiley:

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    For those of us who don't like salt on our food.
    Morton"s Lite Salt is pretty good & a good source
    of potassium.

Sunny_Bunny started me on this. :smiley:

I'm going to have to check into this just because I never get enough potassium even how much I get in my coffee and the supplements are stupid. Each one is %3 of my daily needs.