Day 2, Old Habits, and Body Image Issues

Options
So I am feeling what I always feel when I start trying to eat healthier - I'm only on day 2, maybe now isn't the time to start, I haven't really lost any progress if I give up now, why oh why does Wawa have free coffee today?

Anyway, I'm not giving up. I figured I'd spend some time on MFP to find the motivation that I need.

Does anyone else sometimes feel stupid for caring so much about how they look? I mean, I'm definitely in it for health. I want to feel good, and be able to stay active for the rest of my life. But I can't deny that those motivations for some reason just aren't as strong as not liking how I look, and I feel so stupid about it. Shouldn't I care less about this stuff by now?

Replies

• sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can still have coffee! Either ask for it served black or count it into your calories. Eating healthier and losing weight should never mean depriving yourself of what you love, imo. I'm a coffee addict, and when I go out for it I just ask for an americano or whatever. I've actually gotten to like black coffee over time.

As for doing this for looks...yeah, I'll admit it. But then, does it really matter if your main reason to keep going is to improve your appearance? It's not like you can't get healthy and active at the same time. People do this for different reasons; if your looks are a strong enough reason to keep going, then I'd embrace it.
  • itsshannyb
    itsshannyb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do it for looks! If u think u look good u will be more confident. Then the inside changes will follow. I am day 2 as well. U can add me.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    The looks are definitely part of things but I think that is the same for everyone. Find what really makes you enjoy it and will push you forward even if it sounds silly to everyone else. My main driver is I really like to pick up heavy things, not just once (I actually find that silly) but over and over and every time I put a little more weight into my routine I can't stop smiling. I'm sure that sounds silly to many people but it has kept me going for years.
  • Jenn_M_76
    Jenn_M_76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Feeling good about how you look can be a huge motivator. You become more confident, you want to try new things...you want to wear that killer black dress to get a few looks...it's all good. Focus on whatever works for you. :)
  • Kristy_218
    Kristy_218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jenn_M_76.. Seeing results can be a huge motivator!!! I don't think it's silly to care about what you look like. You're the one that has to look at yourself in the mirror everyday, so why not be happy with what you see :) Being fit on the outside is also good for your insides! I will never give up my 1 cup of coffee a day!! I switched from sugar and milk to a tsp of honey (or vanilla extract) and a tsp of coconut oil.. pop it in a blender (or you can use a frother or shake it up in a mason jar).. it's Amazing!!! Good luck on your journey :) You can do it!!!
  • JustinAckley
    JustinAckley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter a bit if you're motivated by looks. As long as what you do to achieve the looks make you healthier. As for overall health looking better is good for your mental health as well. If looks are your motivation great! Tap into that and use the mirror to keep you going. As for all the doubts that creep in, they'll slowly go away and fitness will become a habit. The first few weeks are the hardest. You've got this. By the way at this point I'm at a pretty healthy weight and almost entirely motivated by vanity. I'm not a bit ashamed of it, me wanting a six pack is just like someone else wanting a shiny new car or a big house. If you're willing to work for it and it makes you happy go get it!
  • ShinyCourtney
    ShinyCourtney Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This really helps me put it in perspective! You all are awesome!