Maintenance...What's The Plan?!?

Options
Hi everyone!! Since it sounds like many of us are heading in the right direction, I thought it might be beneficial to start a discussion on maintenance and maybe share ideas. Some may be at this point sooner than others, but we will all get there eventually and as someone who has never successfully maintained weight loss (hence my membership here), I'd like to get a plan going for when that day comes!!

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am just continuing with the 5:2. I stopped losing weight once I got into my normal weight range so it appears my body is happy with 2 ultra low calorie days each week. I was doing 3 low days per week for a while and I gained a bit when I went back to 2 but now I seem pretty stable. I am happy with the weight and size I am at and I like knowing that I am able to keep the health benefits going from not digesting all the time.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'd say whatever works for you... I still love food...healthy and otherwise. With two fast days, I get rid of the water bloat, have a very healthy immune system and high days are levelled out. If you have learned too eat in moderation....one fast day may be enough.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm in semi-maintenance now, meaning although I'm okay with where I am, I'd still like to lose a few more pounds eventually. My goal for now is mainly to maintain what I've lost until I've got time and energy to work on it.

I've been doing more IF than 5:2, since it works best for me to just have my sweetened coffee in the morning on most days, have a light lunch and then eat moderately normal once my family is together in the evenings. So far, it seems to be working well, since my weight is staying pretty steady and I don't feel like a blimp.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've been leaning towards modifying to either continuing 5:2, but not limiting my meals to 500 cals. I've definitely done this in the past and just had my rate of weight loss slow down, so this might be a good way to maintain. Or I may go to a 6:1 plan as mentioned by Mosely in his 5:2 book. I think a bit of experimenting may be in order. The great thing is that maintenance doesn't seem like this fleeting experience with IF.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    In maintenance/recomp. since January. It's going well.

Standard plan: I overeat on lifting days and then fast down the excess once a week.

However, since reading Varady's alternate-day fasting book, I've gotten more flexible on my rest days. On some of them, I'll eat about half my TDEE and consequently put the 24hr fast off for a bit longer.

Anyways, I'm very happy. Combining calorie banking, intermittent fasting, and high-fat macros is like the magic superpower.