Saboteurs- who knew?

Options
I went for my 3 week weigh in and was disappointed to have only lost 3 pounds. The whole week was frustrating, because in spite of walking at least 1 1/2 miles a day- every day, I had lost 4 pounds on the 4th day of the week, but then gained back a pound and didn't lose any more by day 7. My doctor said she was proud, that I was doing well. She told me to drink more water and increase my exercise to more walking and my aerobic tapes. Then as we spoke we talked about introducing a meal soon. Somewhere in there I mentioned chewing gum. She stopped in her tracks and asked me, "Lisa, did you read the labels of your gum?" I told her it was fine, it was sugarless gum. She asked, "How many carbs?" I looked at her stunned. "Most sugarless gum have carbs. How much gum are you chewing?" I told her I chewing about 6-8 sticks a day, as they're small and lose flavor quickly. She shook her head at me. "That explains your weight issue. That was probably just enough carbs to throw you out of ketosis!" Each stick of Trident sugarless gum has 1g of carbs.

Holy cow- who knew? I might have had a tear in my eye when I gave my gum to my son.

Replies

• HuskerJulie413
    HuskerJulie413 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's too bad you weren't warned about the sugar free gum. My dietitian warned us that they have 1 to 2 carbs per stick. Even beef and chicken bouillon has one carb per cup.

I also think your muscle might be strengthening and muscle weighs more than fat. You sure to take pictures of yourself and measurements so that even when the scale isn't what you wanted to say you can see progress in other areas. Plus your health habits are improving because you're exercising and that's a victory.

I remember a big screwup I had the 2md week of the program. I used a regular Sunkist and not diet Sunkist in a vanilla packet to make a Creamsicle recipe. I felt sick to my stomach with all that sugar in me!
  • Lisalovestravel
    Lisalovestravel Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I might have been warned about the gum and forgot it- we're given so much information to put in our binders!
  • mhmatzke
    mhmatzke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I'm new to DN and just joined this group today. I wanted you to know, I just spit my gum out...thanks for the notification. Like you, I am a total gun chewer.
    If I was told about the gum - it totally slipped my mind..thanks again!
  • HuskerJulie413
    Options
    You can have gum but you have to count the carbs from the label. I enjoy a stick now and then.
  • Lisalovestravel
    Options
    Yep, it's all about the label reading. Carbs are sneaky devils. Apparently there are some gums out there that have no carbs. I just haven't found then yet.

Speaking of reading labels... Did you know that no-fat cheese has more carbs than low-fat cheese? The lowfat cheese is certainly more flavorful. It;s also double the calories, but less carbs- so you have to read!
  • HuskerJulie413
    Options
    I just remembered something. Some people when they count carbs subtract the fiber grams for a net carb because fiber is not absorbed. They also subtract sugar alcohols because it has been shown that sugar alcohols don't raise insulin and you can stay in ketosis. So if you look at most gums the carbs are from the sugar alcohols. If your program lets you subtract sugar alcohols from the carbs then it will be a 0 carb gum. Don't have too many sugar alcohols though because it will cause you to have loose stools!
  • Lisalovestravel
    Options
    Yikes! That's too much math for me, lol! :p