Don't be spooked in October! Set goals!

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
just sayin'. i haven't worked out mine yet, but i love reading other people's.

Replies

• Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Increase at least 5 lbs in each OHP, Bench, and BB rows. Run 10 minute miles or under consistently, and at least twice a week.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep working on my problem areas that I conveniently forgot about last month:

1) improving sleep
    2) getting a mobility drill together for hips and hip flexors and my thoracic spine
    3) still learning power cleans. Subbing in PRs for now but those aren't exactly easy to learn either (although probably lower risk of self injury).
    4) wanting to add in more conditioning but this may not be compatible with goal number one. Priorities?
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I did not stick to my only goal I had in September which was to stay in a deficit so I am going with that for October.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Get down to 112-113 lbs.
    Improve each main lift by one weight increment.
    Gonna try and stick with lifting twice a week and climbing once a week, and see how that goes.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Okay, goals for October... *ponders*

Fitness
    Continue PHUL (Plan to follow the program for like 6 months minimum)
    Squat 185
    Deadlift 215
    Bench 115 for at least 1 rep
    Jog the whole 10k on the 25th

Writing
    Prep novel for NaNoWriMo
    Add 3 chapters to either Snow or BRR
    Keep up in Writing challenge
    Catch up in story reviews

Work on tracking accuracy. I've been lazy on it the past month though I'm not too worried about losing weight at the moment. If I lose a little, good but travel and such will probably mean dress needs to fit at around this amount anyways (which it does).

I also need to find shoes and something to wear over the dress as it's cold in November and the dress I got for stepsister's wedding is strapless.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Well, considering the epic fail my goals for September ended up being, I think I'm going to be a little more concise and I will write these down somewhere and keep track.

I registered for a Spartan Race in July 2016, so I need to get my crap in order NOW if i wanna be able to do the monkey bars THEN! xD

1. Lifting/Exercise
    1.1 Bench: Make it to working sets of 120 (current: attempting 110 this morning. Pretty confident about it)
    1.2 Deadlift: Get to pulling 240 for a double or more. Again, staying away from super heavy singles.
    1.3 Squat: Work sets of 190. (I'm 1 workout from deloading 180, so squatting twice a week that gives me like 8-9 workouts to make it back up from 155 (165, 170, 175, 180, 185x2-3, 190?). I basically have to not stall again xD
    1.4 Go for a few runs during the month (so at least 3). Do not forget antihistamines when I do >_>

No other goals there atm. OHP is still iffy, and I think cleans were aggravating my injury, and I am too inconsistent with the pulling exercises I do to track.

2. Nutrition
    2.1 Start tracking again during the week for the whole month.
    2.2 Avoid buying junk at the store!
    2.3 Find a way to stop that nonsense where i have to pack 2 lunches to eat (1 around 11 and 1 around 2:30PM) on top of breakfast and AM snack and dinner and bedtime snack because TOO MUCH FOOD! But I'm so hungry all the time :neutral: )

No weight goal. I never make it anyway. A downward trend is all I ask for.

3. Misc
    3.1 Do mobility work, aiming for 20 mins 3x/week (and spend at least 30 mins a week reading supple leopard)
    3.2 Keep moving forward on the whole "spring cleaning" thing I got going. Well, more like fall cleaning, eh?
    3.3 Pick between music, writing or drawing at last, and do it at least twice a week for 30 mins.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    1.) Survive the Missouri Tough Mudder on October 11! TM is this next Sunday and it's my first one!

2.) Get out and do more cardio this month! I know that is vague, but I only ran a few times this past month and focused on lifting...I'm sure this will reflect on how I do on the 11th, ugh.

3.) 200 lb deadlift. My past few lifts have really been a grind. One workout, I got through 190 fairly well the other week. I know I can do 195 as well, but my form and grip is shot. The last time I attempted 195, the bar was glued to the floor. I kept de-loading and my body and head just wasn't in it that day. Terrible, terrible lifts that day.
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i'm feeling greedy this month.

1. not regain weight now that i don't have a commute as my reason for riding my bike, and am therefore not riding my bike. for accountability's sake: 136 on the rec centre scale at month start.

2. add some kind of hiit stuff, now i'm not riding (again). either bike intervals or experiment with cto5k on the treadmill again.

3. do the damn yoga. should be good for that one - i paid for the classes and i'm cheap about blowing off stuff i've paid for.

4. lifting goals:
    4a. squats: keep working until form gets natural again. front squats if interest continues, as accessory. 75 with the back squat by eom would be respectable.
    4b. bench: 80+ by eom. as of last night, at 72.5 for 2x5 + amrap.
    4c. rows: never-row-less-than-you-bench rule means aiming for 85 minimum by eom.
    4d. ohp: i will try for 60lbs by eom. most recently 55 but may not be able to do that again right away.
    4e. deadlift: 135 as a minimum. was 115 last night and the form did feel good.

accessory/support resolutions: i will do my negative chins or cable pulldowns every time i work out. i will do 3x12 band pull-aparts every single time i work out, as warmup. and keep doing them in between sets of everything else. i will keep doing hip adductor and flexor reps even if it's just while i wash the dishes. i will also do bodyweight glute bridges (bleh) and passively stretch my psoas whenever i'm at the gym. i will work on that frustrating left glute/something that cramps under strain.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nothing super specific.
    1. Continue my eating plan (seems to be a really good fit for me)
    2. Keep losing would love to see 4-5#s go
    3. Start increasing in lifts again
    4. Keep up glute accessories
    5. Pick up the pace in running
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started the SL 5x5 so my goals are to 1.Do all the exercises correctly each week 3.Consistently log food with MFP and stay in at deficit.
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just started the SL 5x5 so my goals are to 1.Do all the exercises correctly each week 3.Consistently log food with MFP and stay in at deficit.

I just started too @HeatherLeAnn622 :) I've got 2 workout A's and 1 workout B under my belt so far. I'm really liking it so far! So my goals are also pretty simple:

1. Be consistent in completing my lifting workouts while continuing with my cardio/body strength workouts as well.
    2. Incorporate whatever advice I can get from the Form Check forum to make sure I am doing this correctly.
    3. Lose the last 2.4 lbs to get me to my goal weight and begin maintenance.

I'm really hoping maintenance will help me improve my lifts - I'm feeling pretty weak right now. I failed on my 5th set of BP's yesterday at only 50 lbs. I've only just started giving priority to fitness this year though - I never really exercised (other than walking) before at all. Eight months ago, I couldn't even do a single push-up from my knees! So all things considered, it's an improvement - but I'm excited to be able to do more.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hello SL ladies. Last week was a dud in terms of cardio but managed my SL workouts. I'm finally consistent with my program and plan to stick with this for a while. My eating habits are another problem but trying to manage it especially when the weather cools and my system goes into hibernation mode.
    • Squats: 5x5@ 135lbs. The first set was hard but managed to go on. Form is looking good as my hips are slowly opening up. I may stay at this weight for a while because I don't like the way my thighs are looking.
    • Bench Press: 5x5 @ 80lbs. Easy Peasy. I love this exercise. I can't wait to go up in weight.
    • Bentover Row: 5x5 @ 80lbs. Fine with these too. Will move up next time.
    • Regular plank: 1 minute, 20 second hold.
    • Side planks: 1 minute hold on each side.
    • Bike: from home to work and back: 40 minutes total.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wow! Where is everyone? No one has posted since Monday and the last person was me.
    Too bad i can't delete this last post.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    This is the goal thread, so I'm guessing everyone has set their goals for the month. Check out the workout check in thread for daily updates.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    :wink:

I try to wait till around day 7 before doing my first update. So, here it is:

Fitness
    1 - easy, did lower power yesterday and tomorrow will be upper hyper. Liking it so far and hope to get to 4 days a week some day.
    2. not yet, I got to 175 but so slow that I dropped to 160 and still rather slow at getting up, will try by end of month though.
    3. 195 for 3x3, making progress. Calluses hurt a little when I deadlift but it's really just a "heavy weight" issue as I tried chalk and it didn't feel any different grip wise. We will see by end of month.
    4. 100 working set, so getting closer but probably won't increase next time.
    5. 6 mile run is friday, just need to figure out the outfit for 10k and think I'll manage to jog the whole thing

Writing
    1. in progress but not ahead like I used to be every year for it
    2. added a little to Snow but not a full chapter
    3. barely, had to turn in an unfinished story in one of them as it was near deadline for the week
    4. so very behind and judging this week too, so adding more to the queue

Tracking - eh. It's going. I need to track today but I've been doing it at least though I don't always hit the finished button thing. Considering IF after the break just to try out something different but will depend on how schedule goes with work and such. Might be interesting to experiment a little with when and how much is consumed during certain times.

No luck in shoes and such, yet. I don't know what color to go with as my dress is purple. Have a number of options but limited funds. Especially since I also need some new running shoes soon too.

Progress in some areas, need to work on others. Today I'm on day off so writing and reviewing. Plus I've slept a lot. I slept in then went and lay down, which led to me falling asleep. So, all rested and time to get some work done and maybe decide on food for today and next few days as I'll have work until Monday.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ok my goals are to increase leg press, leg extensions, curls and glute weights to next level.
    Go from 12.5 to 14 kg Db on shoulders squats 5x5 and 3x8
    Go from 12.5 to 14kg db bench press 5x5 and 3x8
    Oh press 10 kg 5x5 and if I'm really lucky up to 12.5 kg Db and if I'm really really clever start with barbell
    O
    AND hopefully drop a couple %bf ready for our NZ summer :smiley:
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Month is about half over so might as well do a quick update so I don't forget my goals, again.

Fitness
    1 - Still going well and sort of did 4 days in the last week, if going by my work week (thursday-wednesday). Two days in a row are pretty easy with upper/lower split. So, when I have a more local gym the 4 days should work well once I figure out my jogging schedule during it too.
    2. 165 was okay, tad slow still. I'm going to 1RM test after the 25th
    3. 195 for 4x3 and a little easier this time.
    4. 105 for one set but almost failed. If I test max, might do with power cage or find someone to spot.
    5. last long run is tomorrow, 1.5 weeks until 10k. Have costume for it. :smile:

Writing
    2. in progress but struggling to stay caught up
    3. not much added in novels this week
    4. doing a little better but need to get 3 done this weekend
    5. still behind but making progress

Tracking - Doing a little better but still need to get back on this.

No luck in jacket or shoes for wedding but did get shoes for rehearsal dinner from goodwill. May just go with black for the shoes and such.

Trying to balance everything and get to planning ahead but it's always a challenge. I can also tell I really need a break from deficit and work, but those will come soon. November 3rd-9th is vacation, so just need to hold strong until then and try to relax a little at work as I've been trying too hard (I've been told) and my tone gets a little cranky when I overstress things. Working on it but we'll see how things go. I look forward to not working, even with the over 20 hours driving along, one way, and eating around maintenance. Plus, will be nice to see family.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    one-week countdown . . . . knee death plus flu shot have messed me up.

1. 135.some on scale at dr's office, with clothes and shoes on.
    2. derailed by knee death. but done up to that point
    3. also derailed by knee death, but tbh my heart's not in it anyway
    4a. 75 yesterday at trainer day , first since knee death.
    4b. dk where bench is at.
    4c. dk where rows are at. 70 i think
    4d. dk where ohp's at. failed 56lb all over the place yesterday after flu shot
    4e. dk where dl's at. i think maybe 120 or 125.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Oh yeah, update since we're getting close to the end of the month. Another one gone by so fast.

Fitness
    1. easy, managed to keep up with PHUL so far but after 10k, before vacation, I'm going to deviate just a tad to do some 1 rm testing. After vacation will be back to program.
    2. Hope to test this next week. Goal is 185 though if the 1 rep goes well might try 190 since I can do 5 reps at 175.
    3. Pushing it, so we'll see on the rep test. I know I can do 205 but not sure on 215 for 1 even.
    4. Not likely. I can get 100 but not all the time as well. I did 105 for almost 3. We'll see.
    5. 10k is in less than 12 hours

Writing
    1. I just dropped out of the prep challenge. It's too much prep on things I won't really use and I have too much going on.
    2. Not quite, been barely keeping up in challenges.
    3. So far but I did miss one week on one of them, but that's okay. We can miss up to 2 overall.
    4. Did some but still am not caught up in reviews.

Been tracking more so it's a little better. After vacation, once I get a new battery cause it died even when I didn't use it much, I'll work on using the food scale and tracking.

Still need shoes for the wedding. I leave on the 2nd...

I should sleep soon. Have lots to do but made some progress at least for October.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ah, might be worth revisiting the goals to see where I'm at?

1.1 Bench 120: will be doing this on Friday I believe, so check!
    1.2 Deadlift: I decided after last heavy deadlift sets I wasn't going to do anything below 5 reps for a while... so uh *shrugs*
    1.3 Squat: re-attempting 180 again tomorrow. But I did do a single at 190 that was relatively clean

2.1 Heh, nope. I tried and then... yeah.
    2.2 Pumpkin everythiiiing!! D:
    2.3 Actually have been doing okay with this

3.1 Fuuuu... Well, I haven't been counting, and I've been doing a bit of mobility here and there, but never super focused and rarely anywhere close to 20 mins. And the book has been sitting unopened all month :(
    3.2 Oh, yes, I have. It is so. darn. tiring :|
    3.3 Thinking of doing Nanowrimo so, I'm moving close to a decision? :/

I think somewhere in the midst of life I lost track of my focus. I can't focus on my focus. It's out of focus. It's doing the hocus pocus. My grandpa being hospitalized with some kind of pneumonia and then being found to have cancer really didn't help.

Hopefully the wife visiting next week will get my head back in the game a bit.