Home alone?

Options
kimgravitt3
kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
I will be having surgery on 10-28. I'll stay overnight in the hospital. I live by myself. Will I be ok alone or does someone need to stay with me a day or two? I'm really independent, but I don't want to be stupid either. I also live really far out, but my oldest son is about 5 Miles away and his wife is a registered nurse. What are y'alls thoughts on this?

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So long as they'd be ok coming right over if you called them, I'd say plan on trying it alone. Just make sure you've shopped for your liquids to have on hand (protein powders, broths, milk, etc) and have them help you fill and pick up your prescriptions (I was sent home with tylenol with codeine for pain as well as anti nausea stuff) and see if they can plan on at least checking in via phone and willing to come over if needed. Also keep in mind that you'll need them to help you move laundry and anything requiring heavy lifting for the first few weeks as you'll be on a 15lb weight lifting restriction.

My uncle is a bachelor and has never married. He did an RnY back in 2006 and at the time I was his closest relative, about 15 mins away. He checked in every day with me that first week, and I took him shopping on day 4 as he wasn't comfortable driving yet and helped him with some laundry. Shortly after he was back to driving and doing things pretty independently. He did hire out lawn care and snow removal services for the first few months post op to reduce his risk of a hernia.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Thanks sinderstorm!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sinderstorm. If you're comfortable, it's not stupid. Just don't hesitate to call for help...and use this forum for reassurance.
  • karin602
    karin602 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got dropped off by my daughter. She checked in every day but I was fine. Driving myself within three days of the surgery as I was told it was ok as long as I wasn't taking any pain meds. Never needed them after the first night after surgery and then very little. Up and walking the track that first week.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I ;live alone, and I stayed by myself after I got home. I had people I could call if I needed anything of if I wanted company or to get out, but in a way, it was nice just being able to rest without interruptions. Like sinderstorm said, just make sure you have everything you need!
  • Jessicadmx
    Jessicadmx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just prep your house with food and protien drinks. Also you need someone to drive you home so you might as well have them pick up your medication .
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    My daughter in law is taking me and going to pick me up the next day. I don't want my boys to miss work and school. Good advice about the food preparation and everything else. Thanks all!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree, you can do it. The one thing - the first week had some emotional ups and downs for me (and a few extra downs) so just be ready that this might happen.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    As someone who couldn't do it alone (because of the pain I experienced) I would say it is best to have someone lined up who can stay with you overnight if needed. If you feel fine when you leave the hospital it is easier to tell someone that you don't need them than it is to find someone available at the last minute.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had an easy recovery and although I have the husband, he really didn't need to help me with anything. I think as long as you have a support system in place "in case of" you should be fine.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Thank you pawoodhull! I'm hoping everything goes smoothly.