Where were you a year ago today?

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
A year ago today I weighed 334lbs. My knees and back hurt due to the weight. My blood pressure was high. I kept telling myself "I'll start tomorrow". I wasn't happy with my reflection in the mirror and avoided taking pictures. I felt overwhelmed by how much weight I needed to loose, doubting that I'd ever be able to do it. How about you?

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I was about 115kg/252lbs, and about the same as you for the rest. My BMI was 52.

I still doubt I can lose all the weight.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was about 290 lbs and was a month into the Keto diet. (Started at 314).

Hadn't cancelled my "bariatric surgery" yet.

Had lost 24ish lbs.

Had just started experimenting with water fasting.

Had stopped taking all diabetic meds, statin drug, high blood pressure med.

Started taking Magnesium Citrate and my legs stopped having cramps/charlie horses.

Was sleeping better and I wasn't sore as much ~ didn't have to take Advil all the time.

Had hope ~ that I was on the right track....! (Thank God, I was!)

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated

• TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A year ago today....hum, I was miserable, about 250. I could barely walk because my fused ankle was having a hard time holding up my weight, I was very depressed and sedentary. I am so glad I am where I am today. 199# and still have 50 more to go. I was 278 at my biggest in 2011. I had lost 60 pounds, but a year ago had I gained about 45 of it back.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I was 230 and racked with pain causing limited mobility. Now 200 with pain level well managed from only diet (got off sugars and grains a year ago).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was about 180lbs, and still gaining. I was drinking 2-3 litres of pop a week, and having candies here and there. I was prediabetic but not willing to change yet.

My knees were becoming quite arthritic and my left one was starting to swell and lock.

My hair was falling out because my thyroid meds were not enough for my weight.

My skin was constantly breaking out.

I was tired. Always so tired. Geez.... I hadn't even hit my bottom yet. That's sort of sad in a pathetic sort of way. :(

I'm glad I am on the other side now.
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was about 90kg/198lbs (I hadn't weighed myself for a while) and had decided to give up on the whole low fat dieting thing as I just couldn't stick to it and ended up on major carb/fat/sugar binges. :( Decided I had better learn to love myself as I was as it wasn't going to change. Put more weight on up to and over Christmas until I reached 95kg /209lbs. Really glad I changed my mind and made a New Year resolution to try again but this time try LCHF. Now just under 72kgs /158lbs (just a few more to go) and feeling a whole lot healthier. :)
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    We've all come so far...great success stories!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    ! year ago today, I was about 51 pounds heavier, had already started a low carb but not yet keto regime. I had lost 47 pounds, 40 of them as paleo, and 7 of them since starting to lower my carbs further eating a low carb primal diet. My highest weight 4-5 years ago was 284, this time last year I was 237, and today I weigh 186. I have enjoyed many improvements in my health, and who knows what next year will bring !
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Sadly for me - a year ago today I was much lighter than I am now. I was 288 (now 314) and had been losing weight consistently all summer. I was down from a starting weight of 352 and I was feeling awesome! But then about a week or two later I got laid off from a job I loved and I turned to food to comfort myself. I have since learned I have a Binge Eating Disorder and have been dealing with that. I gained all but 10 pounds back before I snapped out of my depression and got started again. I'm feeling way better this time around and have lost 30 pounds over the past few months. This time I will not turn to food for comfort no matter what happens!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Such good stories!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    A year ago today I was 27 lbs heavier and had just started calorie counting for the second time. I was constantly hungry, living at the gym so I could "earn" extra calories to eat that day to stave off the constant hunger, and although losing weight, I was generally miserable. Now I'm much happier, hardly ever hungry, and losing weight pretty steady at 2 lbs a week. :D

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Probably a bit over a year between these two photos I think. This time last year I was stressing about how I was going to manage to lose enough weight to feel comfortable on the beach on my holidays. I worked out solidly for 5 weeks and lost NO WEIGHT, I was 25 pounds heavier than I am now. It may not have been a pretty sight but I still wore my bikini on the beach one time. Last night I was trying out all of last years clothes to see which I can carry over to my holiday this year. The answer is none! I need to buy all new so I have ordered a selection of bikinis, I intend to wear a different one to the beach every day :-)

Pic 1 is with my kids in 2014:
    n409jhws61ir.jpg

Pic 2 is with my beautiful new niece this past weekend:
    cteqsopjr667.jpg
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was on maternity leave, having given birth on September 11. I have no idea how much I weighed or what my body looked like, as I avoided cameras. I felt disgusting and fatter than I'd ever been in my life. I had been wearing maternity clothes most of the preceding 3 years (my babies were born April 2012, July 2013, and September 2014). My feet hurt excruciatingly every time I got out of bed. My back ached. I had heartburn every single day. I was subsisting on what I thought was healthy food--Special K with milk and a banana for breakfast, a sandwich and a handful of crackers or chips and a piece of fruit for lunch, and dinner consisting of a meat and a veggie and a starch. Little did I know that was half of my problem. But the baby was exclusively breastfeeding, and everyone kept telling me that carbs (donuts and cake, specifically) helped their milk production, so I was not ready to start "dieting" yet. I was thinking ahead to taking the weight off but not ready to do it yet. I was, however, doing a bit of research to figure out what weight loss plan I would use when it was time. It was February before I decided I'd had enough of my fat self, by which time I had been back at work for 3 months and supplementing baby's diet with formula anyway. :)
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    a year ago i was 35 pounds heavier, resigned to a wheelchair on my bad days with fibro, i was not eating primal and just very unhappy... in May of this year i decided i was not going through another fall/winter in the wheelchair and now i am 35 pounds lighter and haven't used my chair yet!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I was in awful pain, taking pain pills everyday, 240 pounds, depressed, sick from a botched surgery (vomiting bile on random mornings), getting ready to have another surgery to fix the other. Now, I rarely hurt bad enough to take anything for pain, I hit a low of 194 pounds on the scale (been jumping up and down since, but is a wonderful number)! Have about twenty more to go! I'm preferring this side of the past year too!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I was 295, size 32, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without almost passing out, in pain, unhappy. Today, 180-ish (haven't weighed in 2 weeks, since I'm not home), walking, biking, yoga, size 14-16, and thriving.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Boy , did I need to read these this morning ! What great successes you all are having !
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I was a different person a year ago:
    • I'd have pizza coupons by the phone and Girl Scout cookies in the freezer
    • I was 40lbs heavier and a few inches wider
    • triglycerides were 400% higher
    • HDL was 30% lower
    • I had delayed phase sleep disorder, now I sleep normally
    • I had sleep apnea, now I breathe normally
    • I was sedentary, now I run 5K's without hesitation
    • I didn't have a dog, and now I do, and we both walk about 5 miles/day
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I had just had a major epiphany:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/motivation-versus-determination-699445

In February of 2014, I started a work "biggest loser" type competition, strictly doing CICO using MFP generated numbers. I was at 272 (heaviest scale weight was 319 in 2010). By the end of the competition in May, I got down to 245 or so. I was miserable and scale focused. Everything was geared around how to weight the best on Fridays. No salt the night before, no exercise, lightest weight clothing (we weighed in AT WORK), etc. I was not focused on what I needed to be focused on.

During the competition, through conversation and research, I discovered that I did indeed have PCOS (it had been a tentative diagnosis my doc never discussed with me), my thyroid was low, and all manner of mess. Ended up at an endocrinologist. He and reg doc wanted me to lower my carbs to help with the cholesterol, the pcos, thyroid, etc. But I wasn't ready to make the change.

I started doing a ton of research and realized that i really did need to go lower carb, but I just KNEW I could never stick with it. I was way too addicted, and I had no willpower, blah blah blah. By the end of the year, I was back in the 260's.

Between October and January, things started clicking and firing and I was getting my head in order. I jumped in low carbing 1/15/15, went keto 2/18/15, and haven't really looked back. All my blood work and stats have improved. I was able to discontinue my Metformin and just monitor with food. I was walking and FG Jogging, and I hurt my knee. But, I was able to start progressing.

I posted the pictures elsewhere, but I started losing the belly that made me look pregnant. I'm still large gutted and large butted, but I'm getting there. I'm 3 full pants sizes down...shrinking out of my undergarments, half a shoe size down, and more...
  • KimBurr21
    KimBurr21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this today! I have been letting myself slide lately and having to remember where I was a year ago was just what I needed to get back my head 'back on track'. A year ago, I was starting a new job and stress eating all day long. I felt sluggish and tired all the time and my cholesterol, sugar and blood pressure were all in the 'danger' zone but I was ignoring them. I hated the way I looked and felt-I weighed around 260 pounds then and would go on eating my way through the holidays and end up weighing my heaviest at 279 by January 2015. Then I started a low calorie diet that got me down to 267 by March but also got me VERY cranky and not fun to be around! Then in March I started low carb, went Keto and haven't looked back. Today I weigh 218 pounds with my first goal of 200 pounds in sight- my cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar are in the 'high' normal range but 'normal'!- and I feel good along without being cranky (most days! :)). When I look back now it doesn't seem like that was just a year ago and thinking on that makes me excited about what I will answer this question with a year from now!