Need Potassium?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I was at Kroger tonight and saw a salt that I heard about (from someone on this group or the Keto group). Its called Lo Salt. I also use Morton's Lite Salt. Both are lower sodium salts for those that need to cut down their sodium/salt intakes.

Both salts could supplement your potassium & sodium ~ if your electrolytes are low. My doctor gave me a Rx to come in at anytime and have my electrolytes checked. There is no co-pay or out-of-pocket expense. Next time you go to your doc, ask him if he can check them.

I see that Lo Salt doesn't have iodine and Lite Salt does. I am not sure if that could cause problems. YMMV.

The Lo Salt was over by the natural/organic area near the veggies. I am not sure if it is also in the seasoning aisle.

The Lo Salt has more potassium than Morton's Lite salt. Here are pics of them:

nlnffmnqvpki.jpg

2tkrwm4gt5wl.jpg

v4p4d0gxmfdz.jpg

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For folks with low thyroid problems, the iodine can actually be helpful. I didn't have symptom relief with my thyroid issues until I added an iodine/iodide supplement... But I've been told a number of times that my body is really weird... So I bet that doesn't work for everyone.

Also, has anyone else noticed a really weird flavor to the lite salt? I got used to my pink himalayan, and this just tastes SO different... Have to mix it in where it's taste doesn't matter as much/isn't as noticeable...
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes weird too. We have different brands here in Canada. It's mostly potassium chloried. Although I did find one brand that had sugar added to it as well!

I use both of them. The sea salt and "lite" salt together because I find the potassium chloried really doesn't taste like salt at all.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For the Aussies:

I'm using Healthy Living Diet-Rite Lite Salt. Ingredients: Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Anti-caking agent 554 which is sodium aluminosilicate comprising sodium, aluminium, silicon and oxygen. 27.6g of Potassium per 100g.

Chicken and asparagus also have quite a lot of potassium. That surprised me.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I just bought that salt yesterday Sajyana! I was surprised not to find a 'normal' table serving size container, so bought the practically bucket-sized one which was the only lite salt they had ROFL OK, I'm exaggerating a little, but it's huge for a salt shaker :D
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :D I have a 170g size I found at Coles.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Mine's 500g LOL Got it from IGA
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was at Walmart tonight and noticed a "Sodium Free" salt. Its 100% potassium chloride. This would be excellent to add to your favorite seasoning salt that only has sodium in it.

Here are some pics:

wut756tubblb.pngcj6dq1aru4df.png

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight 199.5 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info Dan the Man
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here is another brand that is salt free. I add a little of this along with sea salt to pretty much everything.

2etwna4gip0e.jpg
    gtjb232q6ftj.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you actually need the potassium, because I have bloodwork showing my levels pre-low-carb and 3.5 months into low carb, and my sodium and potassium levels stayed pretty level. I found that adding in the lite salt made me dump magnesium, in which I was already deficient, and it triggered crazy muscle cramps before I figured out to stop adding the potassium.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I use Lo Salt here in New Zealand, it's almost $6 but I do like the taste.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I re-found this thread again from another post @DittoDan made as I've been looking into potassium again.
    I have the same huge container hanging around in the cupboard. Forgot about it. Don't like it on food.
    Bought some potassium supplements. $9 for 100 @ 99mg each.
    Then I remembered reading someone somewhere in here saying they just added the "lite-salt" to their water.
    I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try".
    1/8 of a tsp had over 300mg potassium and IMO made the water taste better. Is that possible?
    Huh! Drank the whole big bottle like a mad mad in the desert! Filled the bottle again, this time without the
    potassium and barely got a quarter of the way through. Does that mean I need the potassium?
    I don't know if anyone knows that answer. But while drinking it, it felt like it REALLY incredibly increased my thirst.
    I guess I know not to buy supplements anymore. WAY cheaper to just add it to the water as it doesn't taste awful as expected.
    Interesting.