newbie gi diet

Options
267639 Posts: 17 Member
First of all thank for adding me to your group, after visiting the doctor they have told me to do a low carb diet , i need to lose arou d 5 to 7 stone and to honest not should where to start any advice would be truly grateful for feel to add to many thanks zen x

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Where to start is a matter of opinion and goals. Some find that very low carb works best (less than 25 grams a day) and others go better at a little over 50 grams a day. If you read the pinned posts at the top of the group, you'll see the various types of low-carb diets people do here. I don't want to tell you to do it my way. No one really can tell you. Pretty much every plan works. It just depends on how much carb allowance you want and how your body handles carbs.
    Options
    Thank you @FIT_Goat
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Welcome, newbie!

If you've signed up with MFP and joined this group, you're already doing better than most!

Start by just logging your food for a few days. Track what goes into your mouth, take a look at the macro composition, and decide what you want to change. Sometimes just the tracking is a wake-up call.

My only advice is to avoid too much moderation. A lot of people will tell you that "cold turkey" worked best for them. That doesn't mean no carbs (well, it does for some), but it means that small changes aren't effective. You need to form new eating habits.

A good start for me was to eliminate all grains, sugary processed food, and starchy vegetables, for example.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, read as much as you can here and log, log, log your food. I learned so much from this! Plus, the great leaders here put together the Launch Pad, that was mentioned by @Fit_Goat, it's at the top of the group forum page and is an amazing guide that will help you so much! One of the best things about low carb eating is the fact that is a big range that still helps people. You can find the level that works for you as you go. It's your choice to gradually decrease carbs, or do the cold turkey thing. Either way can be effective. I have learned so much about this woe right here from this group, so you're in the right place! Will send you a friend request. Also, view others diaries to see what they are eating. That helped me, a lot! Good luck! It can change your life! :smiley:
    Options
    Thank you so much both @wabmester @Karlottap
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    267639 wrote: »
    First of all thank for adding me to your group, after visiting the doctor they have told me to do a low carb diet , i need to lose around 5 to 7 stone and to honest not should where to start any advice would be truly grateful for feel to add to many thanks zen x

What a breath of fresh air to hear you have a doctor that actually told you to go on a low carb diet, That means he/she is "modern" or current in their practice. And he/she will endorse that type of eating and he/she will not have to "learn" from you how healthy and effective the diet is.

I live in a metroplex of 5 - 6 million people (Detroit, Michigan) and I can't find a doctor that is low carb. Yes, my doctor knows what it is, but one doc says he can't recommend it because its against some law (the doctor's associations here in America don't recommend/approve of low carbs diets ~ yet.) Both my doctors (one is a endocrinologist-diabetes) like to just prescribe different types of appetite suppressants, do exercise and other "non-good" ways to lose weight. If I can ever find a low carb doctor, I will fire both of my current ones.

So welcome to the group, please feel free to ask anything... because most of the people here we're where you are now ~ about a year ago. We have reaped untold benefits from each other's suggestions, recommendations and down to every last "nut and bolt" of low carb. And we want to "pass the baton" to others what we have learned and "pay forward", all hoping you have the same good results we have reaped over the last year.

No questions are stupid... just start firing away... :)

Its hard to find/search through previous posts, so I will make links to previous discussions and blogs that are you might glean from.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites

Options
    This is awesome thank you so much @DittoDan