Big Hairy Audacious Goals (BHAGs)

Options
ThinGwen
ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
So, I am in the corporate world, and we talk about BHAGs all the time, and I get pretty cynical about them at work. The idea is you set a goal that feels a little impossible to reach. I was thinking that, for weight-loss, this isn't a bad idea, especially as a motivation tool. Think about your weight-loss dreams and share them. I'll go first.

Replies

• ThinGwen
    Options
    I have two BHAGs:

(1) to weigh 135 lbs. Last time I weighed that amount, I was 12. But, this would put me into the "normal" BMI range, and not overweight.

(2) Run a half marathon. I don't think I've been able to run more than a quarter mile ever. Period.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Long term goals.

BMI to 22%, then try to beat that. I've never been "Healthy". Currently at 32.1
    Build muscle mass and upper body strength, be able to do pull-up(S).
    Get faster and further. Run a 10K. I have always hated running, but it's slowly growing on me.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal? To weigh 106.5lbs, which for me would be a size 4-6US. Once I'm at my goal weight of 110lbs, I'll be getting a breast reduction, which will net another 3-4lb loss and I'll be where I want to be.

Realistic? Nope, but that's what I want. Monkeys will sooner fly out of my butt, but I can dream.
  • ThinGwen
    Options
    2poufs - you might just surprise yourself.
    Anbrdr - I believe you can do it. I was never able to do pull-ups, either.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ThinGwen - it might sound audacious and unrealistic, but I think your goals are absolutely obtainable.

For reference:
    My goal weight is 135-140 and I'm currently 159, down from 323. I'm almost 18 months post-op, but I'm still losing (albeit slowly). I know with 100% certainty I'll reach that goal.

I couldn't run more than a few hundred feet a little over a year ago. I'm running my first half marathon in 3 weeks.

My audacious goal: running a full marathon in March. I'm already registered for it. :wink:
  • ThinGwen
    Options
    April731- you are inspirational!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I want to complete a Warrior Dash (or 10). I just don't enjoy running enough to even muster up the excitement about doing a half-marathon or full marathon, but the mudder events seem fun and motivational.

I'd like to completely flatten my abdominal area.

I want to be able to develop enough upper body and arm strength to knock out push-ups and pull-ups with no problems.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My BHAG: I want to complete a color run in 1yr. I also want to shop in a regular clothes store by spring!
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I want my bmi to go from 48 to 21!! Instead of walking 5Ks ( I've walked 3 ) I'd like to run one.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,706 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is the group of people who are going to achieve all these goals - easily! Bariatric surgery is such a life-changer. Two years out and 175# lighter, my BHAGs have become reality:
    • Discovered that 138 was too small for my 5'9" frame and am settling into a 140-150 range.
    • Can hike the hills for hours.
    • Healthy heart and most medicines gone.
    • And can wear anything I want.
    So fun! :laugh:

Enjoy!
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to join a team sport like hockey or netball.
    I guess my biggest BHAG is to be fit and healthy enough for IVF - would love to be able to have a bub. Might have to write these down in my journal so I can reflect on them in 12 months time.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    My big hairy audacious goal is to have no sagging skin. I lost a lot of weight in the past and had a lot of sag. So I know this time I will have more. Surgery to remove it isn't financially realistic at this time. But, one day I'd like to be rid of the sag!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Next year, I WILL be going with friends on a 70 mile hike through the Smoky Mts (probably 4 days, but planning on 7). Always wanted to do a proper hike and never have. Guess it's time to gear-up and train.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Next up on my big goals:
    Run a mile without stopping
    Do 44 40-yard dashes (mile sprints)
    Go ziplining

Someday goals:
    Do a 1/2 Ironman
    Swim from Alcatraz island to San Francisco
    Wear size 32 waist jeans
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    1. I want to weigh 130lbs.
    2. I want to be able to rock climb and do unassisted pull ups.

These are things that never really seemed possible in the future until now. I'm really looking forward to it!