Introductions Please!

Options
Hi! I'm Robin. I'm 54 years old and wondering if I'll be fifty pounds over the rest of my life. This looks like a good group for me and I'd like to participate in making it a little more active! I'm married 26 years, three boys. I'm a nutritionist by educations (BS Nutrition and Dietetics UT Austin 1988), so I know what I need to do, I just have trouble choosing it. Currently I'm a high school cafeteria manager, which I love, and an active member of our district's School Health Advisory Committee. I talk a good game, but I'd like some help and support walking the walk. Tell me about you?

Replies

• memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you Robin, welcome to the group. I'm Linda a 53 year old mom to 5 and grandma to 6, living in Virginia. Some days are easier than others convincing myself to get moving. I have some health issues and I'm supposed to only do low impact exercises so I usually do indoor waking and other things at my house. Been on this journey for a little over a year and have been pretty successful. Although I had a pretty rough summer with depression and family issues, I'm finally starting to get back on track.
  • Stef1959
    Stef1959 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin and welcome! This is a new group so we are all still getting acquainted here. I'm Stef. I'm 56 years old and a part time pharmacist. I have 1 grown son and a grandog. When I turned 50 I weighed around 120 but topped the scales at 178 earlier this summer. I live with my boyfriend who lost his transplanted kidney last year after 23 years and is now on dialysis again....so he is on the dialysis diet and I usually try to make things we can both have. I crave food all the time now that I am heavier. I live near San Antonio so you know how good the mexican food is here in Texas!
    Linda, hang in there. I know this has been a very rough time in my life too. I don't like change and everything is changing fast...and some things haven't turned out like I planned. We will get through it.
  • katnip40
    katnip40 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hello everyone i'm kathy and i started the group. i'm so excited about the amount of members that have already joined....yippee!!!! welcome everyone to the group!!! sorry i'm just now responding but i took 3 of my grandkids on a 5 day carnival cruise last week and just got back to work today. if any of you have ever been on a cruise you know that i is a disaster to anyone who is trying to change their eating habits and let me tell you all that i failed miserably...although i attempted to eat decent at every meal that eventually gave way to eating whatever i wanted. i must say that i did manage to go to the gym 3 days while i was on the ship. i know that i gained a few pounds on this cruise but i'm determined to get it back off. like i've said before i don't like to use the word dieting but i'm back to my healthier eating habit/choices. today is protein/workout and more protein. this is one journey that i someday plan to achieve. i'm very prayerful and i'm praying the same prayer for each of you as well.

ladies, we can do this!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I'm Kim and I turned 51 last month. I'm pretty much where I need to be - weight and activity wise - but have a habit of falling off the wagon! :blush: I'm looking forward to connecting with people in my decade, since I believe we do have some unique challenges at this time of life.
  • memere101
    Options
    @katnip40 lady are you crazy...a cruise with 3 kiddos :smiley: I can barely keep it together some days with them all at the house! Eating is difficult enough when I'm in a controlled situation, put me in front of a smorgasbord of yummies and I probably would have put in at least 10 pounds.
    I'm finally starting to get back in the zone myself. Had my daughter visiting with her kids, during which time we celebrated 2 of the grandkids birthdays and a wedding. And seeing that I am the official cake baker/decorator I had 7 cakes to do....not a great situation when sugar is my biggest downfall. Then I ended up sick with a nasty upper respiratory virus.
    @kikih64 Welcome! Glad you have joined us on our crazy journey called life :smile:
    Linda ❤️
  • Stef1959
    Options
    Hi and welcome Kim! And welcome back katnip - I was wondering where you were...I wouldn't worry about the cruise.. Vacations are expensive and should be enjoyed in every way... It's what we do in our everyday life that really matters.
  • audreydgreen
    audreydgreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am audrey, I am new to the group as well. I join the 50's & fabulous group to get advice or motivation from friends in my age group. People that are experiencing some of the same things in life, when it comes to diet, food and nutrition. I am 57, have 3 grown children, 2 grandkids and expecting a new grandbaby in March. I work full-time, try to keep active by working out at least 3 or 4 times a week. My goal is to live a happy, healthy balanced life. I have lost about 11lbs. and would like to lose at least 20 more. Than I will look better, feel better and get back into some of my clothes. The 50's are a wonderful time of life, but it comes with challenges just like every other part of life. It all about your attitude and how you see life. Every stage of life is a blessing.
  • memere101
    Options
    Good morning Audrey, welcome to the group. Congratulations on the new grand baby coming. My 7th will be arriving any day now...I'm just as excited as when the first one arrived. You have a wonderful outlook on life. And with your attitude I'm sure you will be successful. Yes, our journey towards a healthier life has more twists, turns, and bumps now that we're over 50. Things don't move as quickly as we'd like. But I always try to remember that it's the journey not the destination that is the real reward. I have met some really wonderful people along the way. They have definitely enriched my life and made some really tough times go a little easier. We are all on this journey together and we're here to support and encourage each other.
    I hope you have a wonderful day!
  • Stef1959
    Options
    Hi Audrey and welcome to our little group. Congratulations on the 11 pounds. I've only lost about 8 but I'm very excited because I think I can really stick with my plan this time. It's now or never at our age.
  • audreydgreen
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the support and encouragement.
  • katnip40
    katnip40 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome Audrey!!!! Let's all forge forward on this life long journey. I love hearing from each and every one of you. It makes my heart warm to hear how we all have one common goal and that's to get as healthy as we can at our ages. Let's keep each other as motivated as we possibly can!!!!
  • audreydgreen
    Options
    Thanks katnip40, appreciate the positive support
  • JackiBurkhardt
    JackiBurkhardt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jacki and I just signed up today. I am 57, mother of 5, grandmother of 6. I am a former school teacher. I am currently homeschooling 2 grandsons who have special needs and operating an in home bakery. Although I think I need to let go of the bakery as I have managed to put on 10 pounds in the last year. I want to drop about 30 pounds, although, I would be content with 20 as long as I gained some muscle along the way. I want to be as fit and active as my husband - he chops wood, runs up the mountain, chases the grandsons... Me, I bake cookies! The trouble with letting go of the bakery is I love to bake and have built a pretty successful little part-time business. What do you all think?
  • memere101
    Options
    Welcome Jacki! You could be my twin! We have a lot in common :smile: I am 53, mom to 5, grandma to 7. I homeschooled my last two kids and homeschooled 2 of my grands for preschool. I love to cook and bake and I also do cake decorating. I had been teaching kids cooking lessons in my home up until this year. I loved it and still keep thinking of starting back up. But due to a health issue the doctor really doesn't want me around all the extra kids germs. If the bakery makes you happy, keep it up. Try not to bake when your hungry. Be sure to have some healthy snack that you can grab when the urge to eat your goodies strikes. If you must sample your work do so in very small portions and be sure to record everything you put in your mouth. Always keep water nearby. Make it a game and make yourself jog in place during baking times. You could even try to find some healthier options to offer. Just my two cents, but you are more likely to be successful on your journey if you are happy :smile: Hugs :heart: Linda
  • JackiBurkhardt
    JackiBurkhardt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, Linda! We could be twins! Thanks for the encouragement. I just saw your progress. Congratulations. Seeing what you have done is a great motivator for me. Glad to be a part of the group.
  • DonnaDickeson
    DonnaDickeson Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I am 58 years old, married and I have 3 grown children and 3 grandchildren. I had gradually gained my weight over the past 30 years. I finally got to a point where I did not want to get diabetes and could not do a lot of things that I wanted to and I also realized that I could not do it on my own. I joined Anytime Fitness 13 months ago and have lost over 40 pounds, I have 20 more to go. I was very lucky and was able to hire a personal trainer and she has been such a supportive person for me. I would like to help encourage other women our age to loose weight and be a healthier us. Like it or not we are closing in on our last stage of life and I want mine to be the best I can make it. I am new to all this blogging and chat stuff but I will try to remember to check in once in a while.

Thank You,
    Donna
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Please may I join you all? I'm 52, married with two lovely teenage boys and work from home. My weight has just crept up and up. I have typical pre-menopause symptoms of lethargy, sleepiness, depression, vagueness and overwhelming demotivation - but apart from that I'm a very happy cheerful person :) I love walking and jogging, and have taken up swimming, but I have a very sedentary job, working from a home office for most of each day, so even regular exercise doesn't really add up enough.
    I really need to overcome a lack of motivation. I'm only 5'3, but live with a 6'2 husband and beansprout teenage boys. We eat healthily at mealtimes but I eat the same portions as them. And they love to keep snacks in the house which I end up eating too often as my self discipline is pretty weak. I would love to lose 20-25 lbs and am sure that would help my energy to return. It would be great to meet other people trying to lose weight despite middle age fatigue
  • MaryRiley6
    MaryRiley6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Mary and I'm 51. Need to lose 80 lbs. Feeling so tired lately! How do I start?
  • mikeybrabes
    mikeybrabes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Mike been on MFP for awhile and has helped me lose weight and get healthy. 54 here