Need help kicking my sweet tooth -

Options
We eat "mostly" healthy. BUT I do like a cup of coffee in the am with a packet of sweet leaf stevia. While it doesn't have the impact on the body that sugar does, it seems it sets the tone for the entire day with still wanting sugar or sweetness. Do I just STOP and drink bitter coffee until I get used to it? I feel like I'd just stop drinking coffee (which wouldn't be the end of the world..i kind of like the ritual of it more than needing the caffeine boost) And usually I have some frozen fruit and greens in my smoothie. Can I have that even though it isn't ADDED sugars. I'm not so worried about the sugars in the actual product as I am on how it affects my ability to lose my "sweet tooth", if that makes sense?

Replies

• amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I would drink 3 cups of coffee with raw sugar (2t in each cup).... before breakfast. I then changed to teecino herbal coffee - they have vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate with chilli, french roast (which reminds me of moccona - don't know if you're familiar with the brand?) and I would add 1t of raw sugar. Eventually, as I eased from refined sugar, I found the herbal coffees to be sweet enough without any sweetener. I have never liked sugar in my cereals, except porridge, so I'm guessing I was over compensating for the coffee bitterness, and it did set the tone for the day. Perhaps try a different brand of coffee?
    And of course you can have fruit in your smoothie if you want fruit in your smoothie! :smiley:
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Although I am not a coffee drinker, I do enjoy 2-3 cups of black tea each day. Over the holiday I was adding a little of those overly processed "peppermint mocha" creamer types. When I knew I needed to get rid of the habit, I changed to just 1/4 or less of a cup of milk in my tea. Not sure if you are staying away from milk, but it already has natural sugar in it. It took me about a week to get used to the flavor, but have been drinking it that way for 6+ months now and it tastes sweet to me.
    I have also not had any processed sugar for the past 2 weeks, maybe a little pure maple syrup in this or that, and my sweet tooth is almost completely gone. Not that I will never again eat processed sugar, I will... but it is really nice right now to appreciate the sweetness in say carrots. LOL Oh and I do eat a banana every day in my smoothies, it has not given me cravings for say chocolate> yet...
    Good luck! Each of our bodies react differently, hang in there...
  • wildthingsmom
    wildthingsmom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies. I tried 1/2 a packet of stevia this morning and a splash of milk and that was totally fine. So maybe I can wean off of it totally. And then switch from regular milk to unsweetened almond milk, I did run to the store and stocked up on healthy snack foods for those times where I just want to grab something.. that hopefully will work. ie. celery with almond butter and unsweetened coconut flakes.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cinnamon sprinkled on my coffee everyday and I find cinnamon to be sweet. I use it in oatmeal and smoothies and to me its like I added sugar. Maybe you can cut the sweetners by adding cinnamon
  • MattiesZia
    MattiesZia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @wildthingsmom I've been curious about Stevia as I am eager to break my sugar addiction completely. Is it bitter tasting? I usually sweeten my espresso or coffee with a dash of almond milk but need to remove that too I think?
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cinnamon sprinkled on my coffee everyday and I find cinnamon to be sweet. I use it in oatmeal and smoothies and to me its like I added sugar. Maybe you can cut the sweetners by adding cinnamon

Cinnamon does help. I've also tried a dash of vanilla to my java to kill the bitterness.

• wildthingsmom
    wildthingsmom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    so a few things I've tried and are working for me: 1) I cut out the banana in my morning smoothie and replaced it was 2 tbs of steel cut oats for thickening. cutting out the sugars from the banana have helped my entire day! I still use a tiny smidge of stevia in my coffee. But that's it. I'm well under 30 g of sugar per day and that includes any from fruits/etc Not the 10 g my trainers would like BUT well below the 127g/day of the average american. I am going to try the cinnamon in my coffee for sure! I found I like unsweetened cashew milk much more than almond milk