Terrible Heartburn

jessrex
jessrex Posts: 41 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Three weeks into keto and I've had terrible heartburn every afternoon this week. Nothing has changed in my lunches; I always have some combo of eggs, mayo, cheese, avocado, lunch meat, and bouillon. Unfortunately, Tums has more carbs than I'm willing to sacrifice. Anyone else have this problem? What's a more natural/low carb way to deal with this? It's been so bad I've skipped some dinners this week because the thought of eating is gross.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Add in some fermented foods, take a tsp of apple cider vinegar with the mother, don't drink 30 minutes before or an hour after lunch, as it can make stomach acids float, add lemon to your water (most folks who have heartburn tend to be missing a key acid, so their bodies overproduce the others, causing the heartburn, citric acid is the easiest to add as a test), or add more fats.

Generally, heartburn is a result of too much acid or acid somewhere it shouldn't be. So, add more fats to use up the acid, keep the acid floating, or heal your gut so the whole thing is more efficient. Does that make sense?
  • jessrex
    That actually does make sense, thank you! Are there carbs in lemon juice? It's silly that I'm so focused on this, I just really try to stay under 15 net per day. Thanks again!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • jessrex
    I usually drink 12-14 cups while at work, and another 4-8 when I get home so I don't have the pees all night.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    lemon juice has a few carbs, but honestly, for medicinal purposes, I would allow the lemon juice only to push you up to 20 net a day, so allow 5 carbs for it, but I doubt you'd need that much. When I'm talking add it to your water, cut up a slice and keep it in your cup/bottle you refill. Or have one bottle with some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in it t alkalize your water... So many things to try... Only try one at a time for a few days so you can know if it works! Please let us know if you find some relief!!
  • jessrex
    I'm sad to say that I'm pretty sure the heartburn was due to over consumption of coffee :( I started a new job on 9/1 and there's a Keurig in the office; been drinking a bit more than usual since it's starting to get cold here. I went back to my normal amount today, and haven't had even mild heartburn.

Guess I'm going to have to replace that extra coffee with broth.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Interesting _ I take Keurig coffee 4 - 7 times a day and sometimes got heartburn, but in the several weeks I've been on Keto - I have had no heartburn
  • jessrex
    I have 4 cups (2 mugs) at home before leaving, get a 32 ounce coffee on my way in, and that was usually it, but then I've been having another 4-5 10 ounce cups over that. So I'm thinking it was the sudden and drastic increase in my coffee.
  • sophieperla
    sophieperla Posts: 9 Member
    Yeah I also get heartburn with coffee! Nice tips thank you KnitOrmiss :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I have had issues (full blown ulcers!) With hot coffee. Have learned that iced is the way for me. I have an ulcer now (that I am in the process of healing, with medication), and as long as I drink it iced I'm okay. I was reluctant to drink it iced, but it's made quite a difference for me. We are all different, yet learn from each other! Best of luck to you!