Road Rash From Sit Ups

Options
i've never had this happen before but after 10 rounds of tabata situps this morning I felt a sting in the shower then discovered a small but loud bit of road rash in my tailbone/upper bum area. Unpleasant and unattractive!

Ive applied aquaphor and its healing. Has this happened to you and how did you prevent it from happening again?

Replies

• jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We use an ab mat in our gym.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    yep - i wear a product called glide (I think), it's what cyclists use to prevent rashes. Works a treat.
    That feeling when you get in the shower after an aggressive sit up session .... PAIN!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I suspect glide might help. But I don't think you ever get over it. I don't always get that little abrasion, but I have had it many times.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I second using a mat, but also make sure you're really engaging your core muscles to sit up, rather than pushing into your lower back. Focus your stomach in and pull, rather than push and don't use your legs to drive you into the mat.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I've learned the hard way not do sit ups without the ab mat. I scoot too much in my speed sit ups. My husband had a good laugh.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I was using an abmat. I placed the thinner side towards my bum. Should I have used the fat side? Usually there is a slightly rubberized floor but I ended up on wood underneath the mat so maybe that didnt help? My sweaty self was sliding a bit easily on the smooth wood.

Im going to get some glide.

Thanks for your help.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Man doesn't matter what I do to prevent them, I get them all the time on high volume stuff. Particularly v-ups.
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So I was using an abmat. I placed the thinner side towards my bum. Should I have used the fat side? Usually there is a slightly rubberized floor but I ended up on wood underneath the mat so maybe that didnt help? My sweaty self was sliding a bit easily on the smooth wood.

Im going to get some glide.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, fat side towards your bum.
  • kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get that ALL the time!!! And it's so frustrating! Maybe it's because I'm pushing too much into my lower back. It's very unpleasant and my husband makes fun of me.

Thanks for your post! I'll be investing in some glide soon.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It mostly depends on the surface I'm doing them on. If I'm on the rubberized floor with texture, I'll get a burn for sure. As many others have suggested, Body Glide is amazing. I don't get a burn if I use the stuff.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My friends all have this problem, but my giant butt protects me!