Paleo 'treats' or just the real thing occasionally?

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Monkeydharma has it right. All these Paleo treats have made Paleo anything but. And anything but healthy, and not a whole lot better than SAD imo. I got rid of almost all of my cookbooks because they were half full of Paleo "treats". And all the stupid Paleo ingredients in my cupboards... all a huge waste and all tossed where they belong. Even meat dishes in those cookbooks often had sweet sauces. Eating like that did NOT get me where I want to be. I did have huge improvement the first year and then it's been a struggle ever since.

Yup, Paleo IS a fad when not kept in the context of ancestral hunting and gathering.

Larabars? That's a swear word as far as I'm concerned. More money to General Mills to help design more foods that people can't resist and will over-eat to boost their profits. If one does choose Paleo treats there are far more healthier bars one can make at home, easily.
  • kjwalker2014
    kjwalker2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally do a bit of both. My husband makes amaaazing single serve paleo browinies once a week or so. But I think for us it is a slippery slope. We actually tend stick to eating healthy BETTER when we eat indulge in store bought treats every now and then. We try to stick to dark chocolate bars and then once they are gone, that's it. When it's a brownie that we can make any time we want, it is definitely harder to have that control.

We also treat special occasions like weddings or dates with friends (which is very rare) as a no-rules kinda thing. we eat what we want and try not to over-indulge. I am not missing out on ribs at a barbecue joint with friends just because the bbq sauce is not paleo!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just made coconut butter* today, actually. One spoonful was incredibly satisfying. I'd prefer a fresh coconut, like the one I had on a street corner in Honolulu (best thing I *ever* tasted!), but I'll settle for a spoonful of coconut butter when I'm feeling twitchy.

(*Unsweetened coconut flakes in a food processor with S-blade until it turns into something rather like runny peanut butter. Last time I tried it, I processed it for 15 or 20 minutes on and off, and it just turned into grainy coconut flour -- even adding oil didn't help. Today -- different brand of flakes -- it took less than 5 minutes. Haven't quite figured out the difference yet.)
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have no control with treats, paleo or otherwise so just skip them (or if I make something end up regretting it). If I am going to have a treat it is a baked apple with grass fed butter, a bit of honey, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried to make any yet but then again I was never an avid baker (or cook for that matter) I did just make a dijon glazed salmon that was freaking amazing though. I am definitely making that one again! I think I'll just stick to the occasional 85% dark cacao or get my sweet fix from fruit
  • 68Runnergirl
    68Runnergirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, it comes down to whether a not the non paleo treat is special enough. If it is, a MINDFUL treat is okay in my book. When I say mindful, I mean that you are having a reasonable serving of it, and enjoying it, and you make the decision to have it mindfully - i.e., you are not falling off the wagon.

Examples:

Fancy handmade small dark chocolates from Europe purchased by finance - probably worth it (especially if you are only having 2-3 per week.)
    Handful of Halloween candy from Walmart stolen from kids when they were at school - not worth it. There is nothing special about that candy.

Elderly Grandmothers famous carrot cake that is a Thanksgiving tradition in your family - probably worth it (small slice)
    Supermarket chemical laden birthday cake for fellow employee that you don't really like - not worth it

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Those are great points Runnergirl!
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It was through paleo I found the multiple food sensitivities wheat, corn, soy and legumes. If I cheat with the real thing I suffer incredibly and nothing ever is worth that so those are my bottom lines. I don't touch them no matter what.

I will have a treat with rice flour or oat flour on bdays. Or a rice cake or cracker a few times a week. But that's it.