nuts how many?

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I measure nuts out into snack bags of about 2oz each. That is usually about 350 calories. I use it as a snack at work to help get me through the day without getting too hungry.
  • strwberrygrl
    strwberrygrl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the great feedback. My calories have been pretty low since I dropped them. Also weight loss is still at a plateau. So today I added them back in for a higher calorie day. I am measuring them. I had two servings which is equal to 60 grams of cashews. I have cut out all sugar besides fruit. I do have stevia.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,307 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and I eat a mug muffin made with 1/4 cup of any nut meal I'm in the mood for daily for breakfast and I really don't eat the nuts for snacks any longer. When I did I ate 1/4 cup max. I do keep baggies in my car and gym bag for meal or low glucose post workouts if it happens. I decided to do double-duty and make them part of a meal so that helps calorically speaking and it improves the nutrition absorption. I soak raw nuts, dehydrate them, store in glass jars and grind or do whatever I want with them. I also have been ramping up my veggie intake in the last week to at least 75% and it has really helped my glucose levels drop even more plus the scale is moving down again. I feel better to boot. I love meat of all kinds but I just am consuming smaller portions. That is fine because the plants keep me full and my insulin levels down. Nuts are part of that plant profile and I consider them a regular part of my daily nutritional profile. I consume green, other LC veggies, some berries but no HC starchy veggies for now because they spike my sugars. I invested in a Vitamix and make 32 oz green smoothies daily. I ditched 12 years of meds 13 months ago due to LCHF and whole eating. Now I exercise regularly and everything continues to improve.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Even when I was Paleo (I still think I'm Paleo but....) if I needed more calories it was beneficial to add more animal foods (meat, fat), not necessarily nuts. Weight loss plateau? Definitely don't recommend nuts. But experiment.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think nuts are healthy for me so I do my best to avoid them. If you tolerate them then eat them but if they cause health issues or you go crazy with them I would recommend avoiding or minimizing them. They have the same anti-nutrients as grains so I'm not sure why many find them so acceptable.

+1

Lot's omega-6 oils and phytic acid in most nuts.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like eating macadamia because too many shut down hunger and literally can eat a few ounces max.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've actually been watching the amount of nuts I eat more lately because I want to do more to keep my Omega 3/6 ratio in balance. Nuts have mostly Omega 6 so too many can be a problem. I still routinely eat nuts but not every day and when I do I'll have maybe a tbsp or 2 of nut butter OR maybe an almond flour baked something OR a handfull of nuts. I try not to do more than one nut thing/day. That being said if one day I have some more nuts it's not the end of the world. There are much worse things you can eat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Interestingly grains and nuts are similar when it comes to how they act in our body. I find it interesting that nuts are so acceptable. I view them as equally unhealthy for my body. If i did eat nuts, I would prefer macadamias though.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Interestingly grains and nuts are similar when it comes to how they act in our body. I find it interesting that nuts are so acceptable. I view them as equally unhealthy for my body. If i did eat nuts, I would prefer macadamias though.

Is it the carbs?

I don't do well with nuts, though I don't know why. Although if they act similarly to grains, that could be the reason -- grains and I don't get along at all. Although I don't seem to be gluten intolerant. I don't feel worse for eating wheat. Rice, actually, and oatmeal make me feel worse than wheat does. Maybe it's because their carbs are so concentrated?
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have too much of a problem with nuts. I have eaten too many a couple of times and that was a wake up call due to calorie shock. The macadamias are extremely filling for some reason and I usually can't eat very many at all (like 1/4 cup max).
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with nuts (except peanuts which aren't really a nut and I just don't eat those anymore) but if I eat too many (paleo treat can be 'nut heavy') I don't feel as well so I typically stick to 1-2 oz at a time and don't eat them everyday.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As a snack I have 10-12 almonds per day. Macadamias, about 8. Pecans, 4. I do one choice of nut per day. I find macadamias good for when I'm craving fatty foods, almonds when I want salty food. I don't do nut butters. I bake with coconut flour. If I have a piece of baking, then I wont have any nuts that day. It is definitely about moderation. And I really don't care about the fat/calorie side of things, because for me, nuts are a snack not a meal replacement.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know I rely on them too much when I'm low on calories for the day. I don't know if it is harmful to my weight loss or not to be honest.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat a measured ounce of nuts daily and never seem to want more than that. Nut butters on the other hand can easily get out of control.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Who cares about the calories? But I have always wondered why nuts get a free pass (from many) when they have the same anti-nutrients as grain? If nuts are "healthy" then the Paleo argument that grains aren't is just silly.

I definitely think macadamia nuts are the best of the nuts though. High calories yes, but most digestible and most beneficial, also yes.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Actually, I know most of us are still caught up in the "calories in/out" thing, so that wasn't a comment aimed at you personally. Most of us "Paleo" peeps haven't been able to let that insanity die and it may just be what keeps some of us struggling. Always thinking eating less is better regardless that we may be malnourished and need to eat more in order to get well.