Pre-op nutrition

Options
jumanajane
jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
Hi all, in 12 days time I will be having major surgery and am of the mindset that as LCHF is my NORMAL diet that I am not willing to 'go off the wagon' by eating a high carb diet just to suit what the medical staff consider 'normal'.
Does anyone have any idea of anything I can do to optimise my nutrition pre op and post op? Should I increase my protein to allow sufficient for good healing etc? I appreciate any info or suggestions....except 'just eat normally'! Lol

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, broth (you know that one), mix the sugar free jello with hwc in a blender....pureed meats?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on protein to help the healing process and to keep your body from using the muscles you do have for that.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I would just eat as much nutritionally dense foods as you are able... maybe focus on getting extra protein and eat around or a bit above maintenance while you heal.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    That's the way my thoughts were going...increase protein to spare muscle and provide building/healing blocks. Any thoughts on fats ?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    That's the way my thoughts were going...increase protein to spare muscle and provide building/healing blocks. Any thoughts on fats ?

As much as you need to keep yourself at maintenance/slight surplus. I would also avoid foods that are high in omega 6s as they have an inflammatory effect.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Are you getting a dextrose IV as part of the deal? If so, I would intentionally fall off the wagon a few days before surgery just to get used to higher blood sugar again.

My last surgery was outpatient, so no IV. But they made me eat some crackers after surgery so I could take a pain pill. Me: "I'm not hungry." Nurse: "Eat the damn crackers."
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Lol.....I am requesting a saline IV instead of dextrose....its only to keep my fluids up during the surgery so.....be interesting to see how 'compliant' they are to my requests including food! Taking supplies just in case,lol.
    Found this on pinterest from the nourished caveman if anyone is interested.
    http://thenourishedcaveman.com/hospital-meal/

Sorry, meant to ask why you thought I should get used to a higher blood sugar a few days before if having a saline iv?
  • jumanajane
    Options
    dextrose iv
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The dextrose is usually given to you post-op. It would be requested if you're not allowed solid foods.

On this diet, you develop a benign form of insulin resistance. Basically, your tissues don't take up glucose like they used to in order to allocate all available glucose to the brain. If you get a sudden influx of glucose, your control over blood levels may be compromised. There's the potential for hypoglycemia, as odd as that may seem.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    No, I can see that...the peak and trough effect. Its a gynae op so no probs with eating post op. I have already been told I would have an IV pre op so shall make my request at my pre-admission appointment and make sure its put in red! Lolol. We shall see,hehehe.
    I am travelling to UK from Dubai and having it done privately so hopefully I will be able to have my wishes noted and discussed rather than just join the 'mill race' that is the NHS these days.
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of surgery today and they gave me a saline IV. After, I was so hungry and craved carbs badly! I haven't felt like that in months. I am giving myself the day off to just eat whatever and I am back on the LC train tomorrow. I hope all goes well with your surgery!
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Thanks. Hope you recover quickly from yours!