Prepping for the Holidays (October Challenge) Week 2 Check-In (10/8 - 10/14)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
This is the Check-In thread for Week 2 of the October "Prepping for the Holidays" monthly challenge.
You can report your progress/checklist every day, or every few days. As long as you are working on those basics, there's no "losing." You're winning.

Here's a rehash of the challenge parameters for those who haven't yet read them or need a wee reminder:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10261595/prepping-for-the-holidays-october-challenge
Ahhh...it's that time again. Fall. Temps turns cooler. Leaves change color. And all those holiday foods start creeping in on us. Pumpkin this and that, cider, with hot cocoa. And shortly after that Thanksgiving and Christmas parties smack us in the face with all those goodies. Before you know it, it's the New Year, and you're wondering "What the heck happened?" You're sporting extra weight. You feel guilty and unhealthy. And disappointed in yourself.

But it doesn't have to be that way! This month's theme is Prepping for the Holidays: A Basics Crash Course. This is my second Fall as a low-carber. And I lost weight the entire season. It CAN be done.

The keys to success in this WOE, or any eating plan for that matter, is three-fold:
  • Consistency
  • Persistence
  • Time

Well, isn't that trite and overly simplistic? I'll admit it is simple, but not easy.
To let those 3 keys work for you, you need to be prepared. PLAN PLAN PLAN. I can't stress this enough. Plan ahead, log ahead. When you have a firm plan and procedure in place, you create good habits. And good habits work for you by keeping up momentum even when things get busy, chaotic, or just plain hard. You've already paved the road for yourself! All you have to do is stay on the smooth way and enjoy the scenery.

So in this challenge, we'll be working to set up and reinforce those good habits before you get in the thick of it. We'll be setting up those easy paths and building up that momentum by practicing a habit pattern to predispose us to sail through the holidays. There will be a weekly thread where you can keep track of the goals you reach. We can encourage one another, get advice about any trouble spots, share low-carb-legal recipes of our holiday favorites. In honor of this being the scary month, you can opt for the add-on challenge and get extra credit for working on a fear or scary pattern that often derails you or inhibits your progress.

We're going to compete with ourselves, trying to get the max daily score and collect the max daily pumpkins, or work toward collecting more than you did previously. We'll set up good habits in the following areas: water, electrolytes, staying under carb goal, logging daily, staying close to cal goal, hitting our exercise goal, and can earn an extra pumpkin for resisting a temptation or working on our "fear."

This is what your daily entry would look like:
10/1:
  1. Water: 80/80oz
  2. Calorie goal within 100: check.jpg
  3. At or under carbs: 28g/30g net
  4. Exercise as planned: 20min HIIT
  5. Hit electrolytes: check.jpg
  6. Logged food (carbs):check.jpg

6/6
Earned 6 pumpkins.

Bonus: resisted temptation or worked on fear: +1

Daily Pumpkins collected: 7
em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png

Weekly Pumpkin Count: 13

The above is certainly just a template. You all may want to add a goal like: "Pre-logged Day" or "Planned Ahead" or "Resisted Off-Plan Halloween Treat" or "Packed On-Plan Lunch". I do not recommend nixing the logging calories or carbs, however, if you are one who becomes stressed by calorie counting, that's ok. But I recommend at least keeping track of your daily carb intake. Portion and carb creep are real. And it helps to occasionally reset our ability to "eye" our carb-count. Now would be a good time to recalibrate your carb-sense. I want every single one of you guys to coast through the holidays, enjoying them to the fullest. Preparation and consistency are key.

On the First of the month, sign in to let us know your personal goals. You can wait until you've done your daily checklist and lump it all together if you want.

Goals might look something like:
SW: 155.8
GW: 154.8
Get in the habit of pre-logging before things get nuts so I don't accidentally go over carbs and calories.
Stay on top of electrolytes so I don't get low.
Find low-carb-legal treats for the Halloween party.

To keep it orderly, on Oct. 1, this thread will be pinned in the stickies at the top of the group page and all you will have to do is go to it if the Weekly thread is buried and click on the links below. (So if you've already read the challenge parameters, try not to get too upset with me when I repeat them at the start of each Weekly Challenge thread. :smile:) We'll accept challengers at any time of the month. Remember, you are competing against yourself, and starting on getting the basics down (or refreshing them like I am), before the hectic holiday season is fully upon us, is our goal.

Happy Collecting. 5n8tz29r9s7y.png

Replies

• baconslave
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yo. Just here to brag. Thursday is weigh-in day for this month and I've lost .4lb. So I'm at 155lb on the nose. 3lb to the 100lb Club and 5lb to goal. And if I keep losing 4-tenths of a pound per week, it will only take me 3 more months to get to goal. ARGHHHHHH! anger.gif

Get to moving you stupid butterfly! You only have cm to go!
    54602347.png

*breathe* Ok. Zen-ing back out. Patience, young Padawan. Patience.

Calm-You-Shall-Keep-and-Carry-on-you-Must-500x500.jpg

• fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Last week results 15/42 total pumpkins earned- 36 % terrible terrible terrible-
    Looking at what happened last week so i can correct this week

sw 172.2
    cw 168.6

scale moved but water weight- i will take it LOL esp after shark week

going to try implementing a savory fat bomb instead of a sweet fat bomb this week see how that goes
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Posting my goals for the month here again:

SW: 179
    GW: 172

1. <25 carbs/day
    2. 10,000 steps per day
    3. Log food every day
    4. 80 oz. water every day

My weight this morning was 175, so going in the right direction so far!
    Steps are the hardest thing to manage while I am at work during the week - desk job is not good!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1. food planned for next two weeks - check
    2. planning said meals will hopefully keep me on goal for not running out for extra groceries
    3. I have a planned dinner out tonight (Taco salad at Coyo, duck confit over organic greens for the win!) and brunch on Saturday. I failed this week because of an un-planned headache resulting in running out for coffee at Starbucks instead of brewing my own. Hopefully the next week will be sickness-free. I will also compensate by eating at home Tuesday of next week.
    4. Not a work weekend. Insta-pumpkin earned.
  • TabiScha
    TabiScha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1. 82 oz of water each day ( 5/ 7 days this past week);
    2. 8,000 fitbit steps per day (if I'm only working at one of my two jobs I usually barely break 6,000) (2 / 7 days this past week);
    3. Under 20g of carbs per day ( 4 / 7 days this past week)
    4. Attend taekwondo at least 3x a week (2nd job shifts permitting) ( 2/ 3 this past week); and
    5. I'd like to lose 4lbs this month. So my SW 184 / GW 180 (CW: 183.2 )
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thursday, 10/8:
    1. Weigh-in: 145.8 check.jpg
    2. Water: 115/75oz check.jpg
    3. Calorie: 1221/1312 check.jpg
    4. At or under carbs: 24g/30g check.jpg
    5. Steps: 7,647 / 7,500 check.jpg
    6. Exercise: Parking Far away, Yoga, Foundation check.jpg
    7. Logged food check.jpg
    7/7
    Earned 7 pumpkins.

Weekly Pumpkin Count:
    em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png

My weight has just been happily creeping up this entire time despite what I consider some pretty baller effort on my part. I am not going to worry, my body likes little ups and big downs (and sometimes big ups and little downs).

I have definitely been eating more carbs than usual, because I'm cooking for multiple people and I'm the only one who sees the benefit of zero carb. But it's also the time of year my diet would normally fall flat on its face in the presence of pumpkin everything, so if I eat a couple gluten-free low-carb versions of pumpkin recipes that my husband requests, I'm not going to stress out over it.

Our plans changed for this weekend and now I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully will get a lot of walking in. Columbus day weekend is always beautiful in New England. Will be making a pumpkin bread recipe I found, lobster and steak, chicken piccata...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I was only 3 days into the challenge as of 10/8 but I want to get on the same reporting schedule so...

10/8 check in

SW: 138.2
    GW: 136.2
    CW: 139.5 (not worried. Happens all the time)

1) Daily calorie goal minimum 5% deficit :)
    2) Exercise 3+ times a week :)
    3) Maintain 6000+ daily step average :(
    4) Maintain electrolyte/water balance :)
    5) Resist high carb seasonal treats :)

Earned 4/5 pumpkins, but I'm using smileys since I'm on mobile...
    :):):):)

If I hadn't skipped my walk one day, I would've made my step goal. :(
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Here are my October Goals:

1. up to 40 gms of carbs per day
    2. 12,000 steps/day
    3. Minimum 80 oz of water each and every day
    4. More consistent with exercise especially weight lifting this month!

SW: 163
    GW: 158

Yesterday was a great day! I earned 4 pumpkins em7od5ymabaq.png

• baconslave
    Options
    Thursday, 10/8, Check-In:
    1. Water: 80/80oz check.jpg
    2. Calorie goal under (Sun-Fri schedule): check.jpg
    3. At or under carbs: 48g/50g check.jpg
    4. Exercise as planned: 45 min walk.check.jpg
    6. Logged food:check.jpg

6/6
    Earned 6 pumpkins.

Daily Pumpkins collected: 6
    em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png

Weekly Pumpkin Count: 6
    Monthly: 42

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thurday 10/8 check in:

1) Within 100 calories of goal - over by about 300 cals. - no pumpkin for me
    2) 20g net carbs - 45g - no pumpkin for me
    3) 80oz water - 72oz - no pumpkin for me
    4) Exercise - step and abs - yay! a pumpkin! finally

Daily total: 1/4
    Weekly total: 1/4
    Monthly total: 19/32
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thursday check-in:

SW: 179
    GW: 172

1. <25 carbs/day - yes!
    2. 10,000 steps per day - so close, but no. :neutral:
    3. Log food every day - yes
    4. 80 oz. water every day - yes
  • fludderbye
    Options
    SW 172.2
    CW 168.0
    GW 165

Thursday 10/8 5/6 :)

Goals
    em7od5ymabaq.png 1- water 80-100 oz /day
    em7od5ymabaq.png2- PLAN & log all food
    em7od5ymabaq.png 3- less then 20-25 carbs net
    :'( 4- plan and do exercise
    em7od5ymabaq.png5- hit macros
    em7od5ymabaq.png6- stop eating at night after 8 pm

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    10/8 check-in

1. Stay under 25-30 net carbs a day most days of the month (see #3)-1 pumpkin
    2. Plan meals for the following week on Saturday or Sunday and stick to meal plan- 1 pumpkin
    3. Two special occasion days take place this month and my goal is to go no higher than 50 net carbs-N/A
    4. Try to add exercise in 3-4 times per week as joint pain permits-no pumpkins
    5. Try at least one new keto friendly recipe per week to keep things interesting-1 pumpkin (pepperoni/cheese cups)

3 pumpkins
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Although I've not been able to meet every goal everyday, I do think I am doing so much better than I was before taking on the challenge. :-)

1 Plan and log all food honestly check.jpg
    2 Get 20 minutes of exercise every day
    3 Drink 32 oz of water everyday check.jpg
    4 Stop eating after 8 p.m. check.jpg
    5 Stay under 50 g total carbs check.jpg
    6 No peanut butter

em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png
  • fludderbye
    Options
    SW 172.2
    CW 168.0
    GW 165
    Friday 10/10 1/6 :'(

Goals
    em7od5ymabaq.png 1- water 80-100 oz /day
    :'( 2- PLAN & log all food
    :'( 3- less then 20-25 carbs net
    :'( 4- plan and do exercise
    :'( 5- hit macros
    :'( 6- stop eating at night after 8 pm

got home from work 10 pm & made food for family- and ended up eating- the day went perfect till that point- should of just went to bed

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Friday, 10/8:
    Weigh-in: 146.2 check.jpg
    Water: 128/75oz check.jpg
    Calorie: 1586/1312
    At or under carbs: 20g/30g check.jpg
    Steps: 5,657 / 7,500
    Exercise: Parking Far away, Yoga, Foundation check.jpg
    Logged food check.jpg
    5/7

Weekly Pumpkin Count: 12
    em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png

October's Pumpkin Total: 48

• baconslave
    Options
    Friday, 10/9, Check-In:
    1. Water: 80/80oz check.jpg
    2. Calorie goal under (Sun-Fri schedule): check.jpg
    3. At or under carbs: 32g/50g check.jpg
    4. Exercise as planned: 25 min bodyweight routine check.jpg
    6. Logged food:check.jpg

6/6
    Earned 6 pumpkins.

Daily Pumpkins collected: 6
    em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png

Weekly Pumpkin Count: 6
    Monthly: 48

• quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    SW 209
    CW 207
    GW (for Oct) 199

Goals
    1 Plan and log all food honestly
    2 Get 20 minutes of exercise every day check.jpg
    3 Drink 32 oz of water everyday
    4 Stop eating after 8 p.m.
    5 Stay under 50 g total carbs check.jpg
    6 No peanut butter

Rough day yesterday. Doing much better today.

• pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Tracked carbscheck.jpg
    Tracked caloriescheck.jpg
    Did not stay in range
    Did not try new recipes
    three day total 6 pumpkinsem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png
    13 total
    Sis has been here and I got really sloppy with the carbs during her visit. It is so hard to entertain and keep on track.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    10/9 and 10/10 check in

1. Stay under 25-30 net carbs a day most days of the month (see #3)-2-pumpkins
    2. Plan meals for the following week on Saturday or Sunday and stick to meal plan- 2 pumpkin
    3. Two special occasion days take place this month and my goal is to go no higher than 50 net carbs-N/A
    4. Try to add exercise in 3-4 times per week as joint pain permits-no pumpkins
    5. Try at least one new keto friendly recipe per week to keep things interesting-1 pumpkin

5 pumpkins