Paleo Breakfast

Options
Lynn7082
Lynn7082 Posts: 15 Member
So I'm planning on going paleo and I've decided I will usually have about 4 oz of salmon (or other fish) for lunch with 3 servings of vegetables for lunch. And for dinner, some kind of protein along with another 3 servings of vegetables. I'm just not sure what would be a good breakfast? I was thinking about 1 egg, 1 serving of fruit, 1 serving of a vegetable, and maybe 1 oz of nuts but I'm not sure? (My goal is to feel overall healthier and lose fat while doing that.) Any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I prefer protein & fats for breakfast, or else I don't feel full until lunch. I usually do egg cups with some form of meat and whatever leftover veggies need to be used in my fridge. I don't like doing fruit in the morning as I find I then spend all day craving sweets. I don't fret about fitting in servings of veggies at breakfast because I know the rest of my day will be full of them.

My advice is to be more open-minded about breakfast. Leftovers are a great way to make breakfast easy & quick once you get over the idea that you need "breakfast food". They make great lunches too, when you get bored of having fish and veggies over & over again ;)

Good luck!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    GalaxyDuck wrote: »
    My advice is to be more open-minded about breakfast. Leftovers are a great way to make breakfast easy & quick once you get over the idea that you need "breakfast food". They make great lunches too, when you get bored of having fish and veggies over & over again ;)

Good luck!

This!
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eggs, 1/4 avocado, turkey, onion, capsicum (bell peppers)
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Homemade soups make a great breakfast as well, it's kind of reminiscent of hot cereal like oatmeal.
    Sometimes I'll make a big salad and put two poached or over medium eggs on top.
    My typical on the go breakfast is always two boiled eggs, a little raw kraut, half an avocado, sometimes I'll throw in some olives. Always gets me through until lunch or even beyond.
    I also agree with what's already been said- rethink breakfast foods.
  • smallfries78
    smallfries78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As great eggs are, one can grow tired of them. My breakfast includes homemade coconut-flour-based breads, hot soups (sounds weird, I know, but on a cold winter morning I prefer a cup of homemade mango curry with bell peppers and chicken to a cup of coffee), stir-fries with fresh ginger root and amino sauce.
    I recently began making coconut flour "oatmeal" with pecans and walnuts. It is delicious!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten breakfast in the sense most people see it. I don't get up and make food, I never have been hungry when I get up. For a time I tried to follow Jack Kruse's plan and couldn't do it! I just don't get up hungry, except on a rare occasion. If I do, I eat! If I try to force it it makes me nauseous. What do you usually do? What is your "normal"? Then how can that be adapted so you aren't doing something you won't stick to out of your comfort level?
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    @cindytw my daughter is the same way - I wake up super hungry and need to eat right then. She wakes up not hungry and needs a couple hours before she can eat or it makes her sick the rest of the day.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As far as breakfast, I usually have bacon, and eggs&spinach and add something here or there. I had smoked salmon and berries one day this week.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I have never eaten breakfast in the sense most people see it. I don't get up and make food, I never have been hungry when I get up. For a time I tried to follow Jack Kruse's plan and couldn't do it! I just don't get up hungry, except on a rare occasion. If I do, I eat! If I try to force it it makes me nauseous. What do you usually do? What is your "normal"? Then how can that be adapted so you aren't doing something you won't stick to out of your comfort level?

I have a cup of tea when I wake up at 6.40 and breakfast around 9.30ish. Although today I had breakfast at 11. Break your fast whenever you get hungry. This works for me. If it works for you too then stick with that
  • cindytw
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

I have a cup of tea when I wake up at 6.40 and breakfast around 9.30ish. Although today I had breakfast at 11. Break your fast whenever you get hungry. This works for me. If it works for you too then stick with that
    YES, I tried and found forcing yourself to do something out of your own nature is NOT going to work. So the question is, how to adapt if you want something different.
  • bbeettina
    bbeettina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I get up, have coffee...cannot give that up! Then 2 or 3 hours later I eat 'breakfast'. Sometimes eggs, sometimes dinner left overs, sometimes a salad with chicken. I just can't face food first thing.
  • cindytw
    Options
    bbeettina wrote: »
    I do the same. I get up, have coffee...cannot give that up! Then 2 or 3 hours later I eat 'breakfast'. Sometimes eggs, sometimes dinner left overs, sometimes a salad with chicken. I just can't face food first thing.

According to a doctor's chat online, this is a symptom of hypoglycemia. So maybe try to space your meals out better...I am in the same boat and I KNOW I have been hypoglycemic before.
  • kmanrique321
    kmanrique321 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If I've got them, I usually do eggs & some meat, sometimes with a fat like avocado & I like bananas for breakfast. The banana (or avocado) is filling & the protein keeps my appetite under control & gives me energy. The problem is that I really REALLY don't like eggs. I do egg whites a lot, but if I've got dinner leftovers, they'll do too! It's a mixed bag, which keeps breakfast boredom at bay. Good luck!!
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I really don't like conventionally raised eggs, limp & flavourless! But pasture raised eggs cookies in a little bacon fat - yumm!!
  • angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is Coffee (bulletproof preferably), go to lunch is Chef salad or Bacon, eggs fried in the bacon grease and avocado.. I could do this every day for a week and not get tired of it... I actually have before.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others who simply aren't hungry first thing in the morning. I drink coffee (and have recently started adding cream for some fat...will try BP coffee at some point), then eat when I get hungry. I like eggs and am on a kick with egg casserole (eggs beaten and poured over veggies and maybe some meat, then baked for 20-25 minutes). Sometimes, depending on my activity level, I'll have a smoothie (fruit and veggies, maybe some coconut oil) or protein shake.

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I usually do an apple in the morning. Sometimes with fresh ground almond butter