Eating Question

Options
I have a question that maybe someone can help with. I know that getting your protein in daily is important, this is the hardest for me. I have been follow a Paleo diet for almost a year now so getting a lot of protein is not always easy. My other challenge is getting enough calories. I eat a lot of vegetables which are not calorie dense, but fill you up. Anybody else eat Paleo or could offer suggestions?

Replies

• wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did Paleo for about two months, and althoygh not my thing, I found it easy to hit protein. I do love meat, though.
    For breakfast I incorporated eggs, sausages etc. I used to make banana pancakes and add a scoop of whey. Also, cottage cheese ( unless you are not eating dairy) tuna, fish, chicken, fish, etc.
    I would make it a have to have sone protein at every meal.
    I know Paleo reinforces not reliying on shakes and powders but sometimes you need the extra help.
  • Candicem99
    Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I wouldn't normally choose Paleo since I love bread and pasta, however doctor put hubby on it so in order to make it work I joined him eating that way and now it is just my way of eating. No dairy. I have found a plant protein that isn't too bad and I was manly using that on weight lifting days, but may need to use daily. I don't like a whole lot of meat, but have been trying to be better. I know if I exercised less I could lower the calories, but I enjoy my workouts right now and didn't want to cut them down.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Have you read through the Paleo site suggestions for when your exercise is well beyond what they recommend?

They recognize that not everyone doing their program wants to view cardio as "killer cardio" - so they have modifications to the diet when you do lots of cardio stuff - and I'd suggest your videos you enjoy are well beyond their normal recommendations for workouts - therefore you need the mods.

Confirm that plant protein is complete proteins - or you do a good job of mixing/matching daily to get complete proteins in - otherwise you are getting little benefit from eating more of it.

And more protein during the repair process 24-36 hrs after lifting is better time span. If that happens to be day of - fine. But at least before bed so body has something to repair with.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Have you read through the Paleo site suggestions for when your exercise is well beyond what they recommend?

Which Paleo site?

• wannabf1t
    Options
    Robb Wolf comes to mind. There are tons of blogs with recipes, like paleo omg, nom nom paleo, stupid easy paleo just to name a few.
    Also a friend of mine uses beef protein because of lactose intolerance. I know it sounds weird but she says it is pretty good, so maybe you might want to look into it. I forgot to mention that lentils have protein but you can't have grains while doing paleo .... Another reason why it was not sustainable for me. I love rice and beans/ lentils etc. Since I don't have any immune disorder or allergic to gluten I saw no point in restricting food groups.
  • heybales
    Options
    I don't recall what site had several articles on it. Sisson rings a bell.

But in case you weren't aware, the philosophy is more than just diet.

http://everydaypaleo.com/friends-dont-let-friends-do-cardio/

While I don't agree with the cherry picking studies for what they want to support based on no evidence of the way things were anyway - what is advocated, strength training with walking - is good suggestion anyway.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    I keep eating and still can't hit the amount of calories. I feel full and think I finally ate enough and then log in to track and nope, not there. Very frustrated at this
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more calorie-dense food. Peanut (or other nut) butter is great as there's lots of fats, easy to eat and not as filling as the calorie-equivalent in veggies. A pint of full-fat milk is another great one for bringing cals up.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Thanks. But I eat Paleo, no dairy. Today I had a piece of cheese for the first time in almost a year to try and up the calories, but I don't want to really go back to dairy.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    How about bacon, sausage, protein pancakes or banana pancakes, almond butter with bananas, avocados? All those are paleo approved options. Trust me, the first week your body feels stuffed, but it will adapt. You just have to keep trying.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Feeling stuffed is right. I need to track as I eat otherwise its late at night before I realize I haven't had enough. Thanks for more suggestions.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    I try to plan ahead and prelog lots of things. I eat same things during the week. I just adjust as I measure. For example I eat the same breakfast every single day! So I just copy from previous day.
    I was very inconsistent about logging. I thought I was eating little but who knows! I know I ate little during the week and let go on the weekend and didnt log anything. It really opned my eyes to how much I waS really eating. But once you are doing this for a month, it because part of your routine.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Well I made it to 1800 today and it was not easy and feel absolutely sick. This is so scary because I am so afraid of putting on weight and I know its a process, but with the way I feel right now, I just want to go back to the way I was "not" eating tomorrow so I don't feel so bloated.
  • heybales
    Options
    Too much at one time. Need better planning and adherence to spreading it out.

And not jumping up in calories too fast - not only to save from gaining some fat, but for stomach issues eating more.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    IceQueen07 wrote: »
    Well I made it to 1800 today and it was not easy and feel absolutely sick. This is so scary because I am so afraid of putting on weight and I know its a process, but with the way I feel right now, I just want to go back to the way I was "not" eating tomorrow so I don't feel so bloated.

Try upping 100 cals per week, per day, for example if you were eating 1200, go to 1300 for a week, next week up it. Scale won't be so scary.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Yesterday I completed 4 days of eating at 1800 calories - it is getting easier and I am amazed at the amount of food I am eating, more food than I have in years. I also got on the scale this morning and actually dropped 4 pounds which I am kind of shocked at. Woke up this morning and my stomach was actually grumbling for more food.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It is scary to increase your calories. I just recently increased mine from 1600 slowly up to 2000, adding about 100 per week. I'm very glad I did! So far I haven't seen changes on the scale, but I dont care about the scale any longer. I'm not trying to lose weight, im trying to lose fat :)