Temptation Station...it's all about support.

Options
Bag of Halloween candy at the nurse's station here...it's time for this conversation to start.

When you encounter a temptation (holiday candy related or otherwise), write about it here.

Did you avoid it? Tell us how. Brag.

Did you have some? Tell us about it. Vent.

Did you have a lot? Tell us whatever's on your mind about it. Let us remind you you're okay and encourage you. This does NOT have to derail you! Relax a bit.

I don't know about you, but having this here may help me. Thoughts?

Replies

• FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread @SenditToSarah!

I'll start:

Monday's are the worse for me. I don't know why but it just is. I recently started teaching an intro to college class and bought some treats for my students which I keep in my office. Normally it's hidden away but this morning I saw it in plain sight on my cart that has all my things for the class. I passed it about 5 times before I finally told myself to put it out of sight. The old saying "out of sight, out of mind" really helps me a lot! Instead of eating candy, I ate the snacks I already pre-planned and logged in my food diary.

I'm definitely not perfect by any means though and sometimes I do give in, but the key is like you said to NOT beat yourself up! Emotions are a funny thing when it comes to weight loss and I find if I let my emotions get the better of me, I end up 10 steps backwards. Instead, breathe, realize we're all human and we all make mistakes, and move on.

Do you have a challenging day?
  • SenditToSarah
    SenditToSarah Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No one day in particular. Evenings after work are difficult for me...and when there are baked goods or ice cream in the house, I can't stay out of them. It's bad. I try to keep them out of the house and that works pretty well.

I haven't figured out a trick for work treats yet. I know it will only get worse. Sometimes I'm fine and they don't bug me at all, and sometimes they're all I can think about until I have a serving. I feel so powerless on those days!
  • SenditToSarah
    Options
    I have a patient with a box in her room full of candy. The side of the box reads: "Please take one! Your work is tough. The thanks are few." She encouraged me to take some on one of my trips in, and I told her I was fine but thanks. I felt guilty, though. I came back and said "I want you to know that the note on your box means more than any candy ever could. THANK YOU for your kind words!!" She smiled from ear to ear. Us showing awareness of her gratitude was all she was after!!!
  • FatSwatter
    Options
    @SenditToSarah - I'm so glad you had someone make your day with words like that. Too often we aren't recognized for the job we do and it's wonderful one of your patients sees that and thanks you in her own way. I'm really happy for you!

Yesterday try as I might, I was unsuccessful at swaying the temptation for skittles. Three handfuls later I realized as I was chewing on the last handful of my mistake. Have you ever tried measuring a 1/4 cup of skittles or the amount of grams that is? I did just for the heck of it and was saddened to see how tiny that really was. I'm pretty sure I ate at least 4 servings. Oh well...I'm not going to beat myself up for it. I'm still in ONEderland although not as comfortable as I would have liked but that just means I need to work a little bit harder. After this bag is gone, I'm going to stop bringing this candy in the house! That's when my temptation is the highest.
  • SenditToSarah
    Options
    My husband made me an ice cream cake for my birthday...that only the two of us are around to eat...notice I haven't logged food in a while???? Done with sweets in the house after this, too! ;)
  • FatSwatter
    Options
    @SenditToSarah - I hear you! I didn't log this last weekend either but I should have tried. The problem with going out to eat at a family restaurant that doesn't post nutrition information is that well...they don't post nutrition information so it's all a guessing game anyways. On a plus side, I only gained 0.6 of a pound but then lost 0.4 so all in all, it could have been a lot worse! Let's make a commitment together to not have sweets in the house - you in? :smile:
  • SenditToSarah
    Options
    I am SO in...the ice cream cake should be gone within 24 hours...no more will enter the house, to be sure. Are we putting a timeframe on this?
  • FatSwatter
    Options
    @SenditToSarah - Sure, how about this: no more candy in the house until Thanksgiving? I know that's hard to not have around that time especially if you are visiting family or they are visiting you but that gives us a good 4-5 weeks of not buying it and stocking it on our shelves. Then we can reevaluate to see how we did? I definitely don't want it around Halloween! Oh man, I'm so dreading Halloween too for that very reason!!

By the way, yesterday I was craving candy but I had a healthy snack instead. I must admit, I felt quite proud of myself but it wasn't easy! Also, I haven't had ice cream cake in eons but OMG I loved the Pepperidge farm chocolate one. Oh man....that brings back memories.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Well it's already started. I thought I had til x-mas to put on my brave face but no now that everyone knows I'm on a diet they have decided to be the one that I take their baked goods home. I work in customer service last year I received 15 cheesecakes and at least 40 to 50 dozen cookies in the month of dec. I got an almond cake and a pumpkin pie so far. My immediate boss took the cake and my store manager took the pie. Both said both were to die for. I literally have a list of people to take stuff but this is so hard. :s
  • FatSwatter
    Options
    @2020pinktogo - WOW! I need to applaud the fact that you not only have resisted TWO lovely (and I'm sure very delicious) pies but you went one step further by figuring out who was going to take them off your hands! That is freaking amazing! I know it's hard for you, but I just had to say you are stronger than you think. I cannot imagine saying no to that, especially the pumpkin pie which happens to be my favorite.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    It's very hard especially as I am the only one who receives a lot of gifts. My coworkers don't care as they know I have always shared this year they are all hoping to be on with me as something comes so they can call dibs. Right now I am at 24.5 lbs lost and would really like to be near 30 by x-mas. I keep telling everyone to skip this year but they all seem determined. OY
  • SenditToSarah
    Options
    @2020pinktogo that is incredible. Just. Incredible. That probably wouldn't have occurred to me to do, so I'm going to keep it in mind if such a situation comes up. Pass it off! Get it away!!

Way to go, friend.