Introduce Yourself!

Options
Take a moment to share your story! Tell us why you decided to start, your success so far if you've been at this for awhile, what's keeping you down if you've had struggles. I want this to be a very open forum for everybody to feel comfortable!

Replies

• haffsun1
    haffsun1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just gained 15 pounds in a few months and decided enough was enough! My goal is 40 pounds overall. Today is my first day back to myfitnesspal in quite some time. I had nice success last time but lost focus. ChandaNicole you look great and are an inspiration!
  • ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll go first! As I previously said, I started this journey back in January. At that point, I was at my heaviest of 265 (that was recorded anyway). Long story short, a person very close to me was brutally honest but not in the sense that they were being mean, making me think less of myself. They had just simply said that I was losing myself and my weight was the cause. I wasn't the person that I used to be. I was always complaining about myself and my wardrobe, which had dwindled to one pair of jeans, a few shirts and a few maxi dresses that fit. I was consistently negative about myself and I had zero energy to want to do things. Their words hurt to hear but they were right. However, I only agreed once I tried complaining to my mother and she sided with them. It sat me back and made me think. They were absolutely right. I was only hurt because everybody else in my life sugar coated it all. Trying to "make me feel better" about my size. That's not a solution! If you don't like your size and it's taking away your confidence and your well being, YOU are the only person that can change that. People can tell you you're beautiful all day long but if you feel down about yourself, their words mean nothing. It has to come from within. So I made that change.

I started "jogging", and I use that term lightly, a few times a week. Slowly but surely, my jog has improved. I started out only jogging about 1.5 miles in 35-40 minutes, hating it the whole way. My knees would hurt, my hips, my feet.. I wasn't sure I was going to be cut out for this but I kept pushing. I can now jog 3 miles in the same amount of time, pain free. I also started logging everything I ate. I never did "diet" because I know it doesn't work. I simply stopped purchasing prepackaged foods, sweet drinks were cut drastically (coffees are my weakness), and I tried to use simple, clean ingredients. We try to cook at home 98% of the time but we're a normal family and we go out from time to time as well. In those scenarios, I found myself doing research prior to. I look up menu's and nutrition facts online. But if I feel like I want to have a black and blue bacon burger with sweet potato fries then by gosh I will! Don't restrict yourself to the point where you feel like you're being punished! You'll never stick to it. Find an exercise that you love! Change things up! I now do all sorts of things from Zumba to HIIT workouts, Yoga and jogging. Sometimes I take things outside! You have to do what makes you feel confident and comfortable. And you have to make time! I made excuses for a short while when I started my schooling and reverted back to some of my old ways and I felt terrible. Not only mentally but physically I was just so tired and dragged down for a couple of weeks. But I didn't let it stop me. I picked myself back up and got right back on the wagon and lost 5 pounds that week! It's incredible what you can do when you set your mind to it.

A few helpful YouTube resources if you're an at home workout person like myself:
    BeFit Channel has loads of workouts! Everything from beginner to advanced. They've even got some Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred videos.
    If you're a Zumba junkie like myself, Live Love Party channel has great, modern Zumba dances with up to date songs.
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    haffsun1 wrote: »
    Hi, Just gained 15 pounds in a few months and decided enough was enough! My goal is 40 pounds overall. Today is my first day back to myfitnesspal in quite some time. I had nice success last time but lost focus. ChandaNicole you look great and are an inspiration!

Thank you! I'm glad you're here! I'm going to do my best to keep everybody thinking positive and moving forward! I'll be on the journey right along with you! :) Here's to a fresh start!
  • kassieisafirework
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm Kassie. I just started college and I've had success with Myfitnesspal before, but went on hiatus for about a year. Everyone has been telling me about the freshman 15, and honestly the thought of going from 150 to 165 lbs is horrid to me, considering it would put me nearly in the obese BMI range for my height. Ideally I'd like to be 120 lbs, which would put me in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height, but if I could make it to 130 by the end of the year I'd be happy with that. I wish you all the best of luck, and feel free to add me and talk to me whether to chat or share tips or anything!
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm Kassie. I just started college and I've had success with Myfitnesspal before, but went on hiatus for about a year. Everyone has been telling me about the freshman 15, and honestly the thought of going from 150 to 165 lbs is horrid to me, considering it would put me nearly in the obese BMI range for my height. Ideally I'd like to be 120 lbs, which would put me in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height, but if I could make it to 130 by the end of the year I'd be happy with that. I wish you all the best of luck, and feel free to add me and talk to me whether to chat or share tips or anything!

Welcome! Myfitnesspal really is a great tool! Best of luck to you as well!
  • kab030296
    kab030296 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I'm Krista. I have to had great success before with MFP but have fallen off the wagon and need some motivation to lose the weight I have gained back. I am a nursing student so stress is super high but I'm tired of making excuses! Looking forward to shedding pounds with you all.
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    kab030296 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I'm Krista. I have to had great success before with MFP but have fallen off the wagon and need some motivation to lose the weight I have gained back. I am a nursing student so stress is super high but I'm tired of making excuses! Looking forward to shedding pounds with you all.

Hello! Hopefully the exercise and motivation can be a stress reliever of sorts for you! Turn it into a release point for yourself and it'll do great things for you! :) Good luck to you!
  • KimmyLouie
    KimmyLouie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    HI I am Kim. I have finally decided its time for me to get serious about weight loss. and this is my first step. I know being a part of a group can help keep me motivated and going in the right direction. Looking to get this thing started and lose the weight I need to keep my health up and my dress size down! LOL
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!

My name is Dee, and I am glad to be here.

I used MFP a few years ago and lost 50 lbs! Unfortunately, the 50 lbs and a few of its buddies have come back to reside on my body!

I am currently 50 years old and am trying to lose 70 lbs overall. I have a sedentary desk job in a hospital. I see what obesity does to people every day. Since I am 5'4" and 210 lbs, I am currently MORBIDLY obese. I hate the word MORBID. Time to do something about this...again.

I got back on to MFP a couple of months ago, and I also started C25K a couple of weeks ago to get a jumpstart on this weight loss. I started at 220 lbs, I am currently 210 lbs, and my ultimate goal is to weigh 150 lbs (70 lb total loss). My current focus is to get under 200, so this challenge is perfect.

If anyone would like to be MFP friends, please reach out. Include a note that you are in this group. I like to keep my friends list small so I can pay attention to everyone.

Here's to losing...

Dee :)
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    KimmyLouie wrote: »
    HI I am Kim. I have finally decided its time for me to get serious about weight loss. and this is my first step. I know being a part of a group can help keep me motivated and going in the right direction. Looking to get this thing started and lose the weight I need to keep my health up and my dress size down! LOL

Welcome! I'll consistently be posting in the group to help keep everybody on track! Best of luck to you!
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!

My name is Dee, and I am glad to be here.

I used MFP a few years ago and lost 50 lbs! Unfortunately, the 50 lbs and a few of its buddies have come back to reside on my body!

I am currently 50 years old and am trying to lose 70 lbs overall. I have a sedentary desk job in a hospital. I see what obesity does to people every day. Since I am 5'4" and 210 lbs, I am currently MORBIDLY obese. I hate the word MORBID. Time to do something about this...again.

I got back on to MFP a couple of months ago, and I also started C25K a couple of weeks ago to get a jumpstart on this weight loss. I started at 220 lbs, I am currently 210 lbs, and my ultimate goal is to weigh 150 lbs (70 lb total loss). My current focus is to get under 200, so this challenge is perfect.

If anyone would like to be MFP friends, please reach out. Include a note that you are in this group. I like to keep my friends list small so I can pay attention to everyone.

Here's to losing...

Dee :)

10 pounds is a great start! Good job! With some hard work and dedication, another 10 is right around the corner! :)
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    [quote="ChandalNicole;3427401010 pounds is a great start! Good job! With some hard work and dedication, another 10 is right around the corner! :)[/quote]

:p
  • pladyp
    pladyp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess my weight journey really started when I got pregnant with daughter who is now 4. I actually lost a good bit of the weight I had gained last year but since then I have gain much of it back so I just want to lose back down. Also I am suppose to be in a friend of mines wedding next year and I really want lose as much as I can to be able to fit nicely in the bridesmaids dresses.
  • natyack
    natyack Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a (relatively) new mom trying to get serious for the third time this year about losing the 30lbs that didn't seem to want to let go after I gave birth last year. Over the summer I started to get serious about making a lifestyle change and after two weeks saw on my home scale that I had lost over 6lbs. I was so excited! However I went to the OB/GYN later that week and their scale had me right back at my starting weight. It shouldn't have upset me as much as it did, but I let that number just completely derail me. I was about 155 lbs at the time. I decided to stop beating myself up and just live my life.... well I went to my GP last week for my yearly checkup and I'm up to 164 - the heaviest I've ever been (not counting while I was pregnant, obviously). I knew then that I needed to change the decisions I make on a regular basis if I don't want to keep steadily gaining weight over the years.

I don't want to focus too heavily on weighing myself this time around. Instead I'm focusing on staying within my calorie goals and trying to find at least 20 mins per day to work out. I started C25K just today - the app helped me run my first 5k a few years ago so I know it works well for me. I'm also making recipes from blogs like Slender Kitchen, SkinnyTaste, and the Fit Girls Guide program. I'm looking forward to checking in with you all to stay motivated and positive!
  • pladyp
    pladyp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter May 12, 2011 but shortly afterwards I started having difficulty walking, which left me unable to lose the weight. I would trip and stumble when I walked. Which later on the doctors diagnosed me with foot drop which they said was incurable. I went to physical therapy different things progressed and later I found the problem I had 3 cysts on my brain which I didn't know I had. My body was literally shutting down on me and I didn't know it. I was told I was partially paralyzed and would never walk right again and I needed to have brain surgery which if I did I would probably never walk talk or may never wake up from the surgery. July 19, 2013 I had the surgery. And about a month later I regained full use of my walking and everything is now fine. Last year I was able to walk the roads again and I begin losing the weight I so long wished to lose. I have to say I have put some of it back on and I now hope to journey with each of you to lose at least 15 pounds no more than 20.
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    natyack wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a (relatively) new mom trying to get serious for the third time this year about losing the 30lbs that didn't seem to want to let go after I gave birth last year. Over the summer I started to get serious about making a lifestyle change and after two weeks saw on my home scale that I had lost over 6lbs. I was so excited! However I went to the OB/GYN later that week and their scale had me right back at my starting weight. It shouldn't have upset me as much as it did, but I let that number just completely derail me. I was about 155 lbs at the time. I decided to stop beating myself up and just live my life.... well I went to my GP last week for my yearly checkup and I'm up to 164 - the heaviest I've ever been (not counting while I was pregnant, obviously). I knew then that I needed to change the decisions I make on a regular basis if I don't want to keep steadily gaining weight over the years.

I don't want to focus too heavily on weighing myself this time around. Instead I'm focusing on staying within my calorie goals and trying to find at least 20 mins per day to work out. I started C25K just today - the app helped me run my first 5k a few years ago so I know it works well for me. I'm also making recipes from blogs like Slender Kitchen, SkinnyTaste, and the Fit Girls Guide program. I'm looking forward to checking in with you all to stay motivated and positive!

That's a great start! Like I said in my "advertisement" post we'll call it lol.. It's not so much about the number on the scale as it is staying accountable and motivated and really just making this your lifestyle. It's amazing what the small changes in your life make once they start adding up. Since it's not such a huge, drastic change, it just becomes something you do without feeling like your missing out or restricting yourself. I'm glad you've decided to join us and I wish you the best! Feel free to post any yummy recipes in the recipe posts!
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    pladyp wrote: »
    I had my daughter May 12, 2011 but shortly afterwards I started having difficulty walking, which left me unable to lose the weight. I would trip and stumble when I walked. Which later on the doctors diagnosed me with foot drop which they said was incurable. I went to physical therapy different things progressed and later I found the problem I had 3 cysts on my brain which I didn't know I had. My body was literally shutting down on me and I didn't know it. I was told I was partially paralyzed and would never walk right again and I needed to have brain surgery which if I did I would probably never walk talk or may never wake up from the surgery. July 19, 2013 I had the surgery. And about a month later I regained full use of my walking and everything is now fine. Last year I was able to walk the roads again and I begin losing the weight I so long wished to lose. I have to say I have put some of it back on and I now hope to journey with each of you to lose at least 15 pounds no more than 20.

That's amazing! To fully regain everything back when they said you probably wouldn't is fantastic! I'm glad you've decided to take control and really strive to reach your goals! Best wishes!
  • luv2liftElise
    luv2liftElise Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and a weakness for all sweets. I love to run and do crossfit but injured my back a couple of months ago and have been very lazy since then. I'm now feeling much better but finding it hard to get back into the routine of exercising and eating well. Nighttime snacking is my worst habit. I'm tired of my clothes not
    fitting well and refuse to buy bigger sizes! I think this group will be a great motivation!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm MacKenzie, 26 years old, 5'7", currently at about 165 pounds and a size 10.

My highest weight ever was roughly 2 years ago, at 225 lbs.
    I had just moved to Oklahoma, was living with my grandma while looking for a house, and went through a pretty rough time. So, I ate my feelings. I ate my feelings all the way to 225 pounds, when I didn't even know I had surpassed 200. Talk about a wake up call..

Since then, looking back I wasted a lot of time and effort, because I didn't really know how to work out properly. I got on MyFitnessPal and tracked my calories, that made me lose 25 pounds almost immediately (since I had been eating garbage), but I spent a lot of time sitting on weight machines and the elliptical.

NOW, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the science and method of weight loss, after having read quite a few books on the subject and conversations with trainers. I'm also a really big meal prepper!

What really helped me was reading "Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body" by Michael Matthews, and it CHANGED EVERYTHING. I learned not only what I should be eating, but why. I learned about weight loss myths (that were way de-bunked), and I learned how to lift weights to get the biggest bang for my buck, exercise-wise. I really whole-heartedly recommend this book for anyone looking to get fit!!

Here's a link to the book on Amazon, if you're interested.

I'm also lifting based off the Thinner Leaner Stronger workbook, and seeing a ridiculous amount of change in my body. I'm only on week 4, but it's freaking awesome. If you like to lift and are looking for a plan, you need this book in your life. (But it won't make sense if you don't read the actual, original book.)

I grew up overweight to begin with, so I don't really have a weight I'm trying to get back to... but I'm estimating about 135-140 is a good goal for me. :)
  • ChandalNicole
    Options
    I have a desk job and a weakness for all sweets. I love to run and do crossfit but injured my back a couple of months ago and have been very lazy since then. I'm now feeling much better but finding it hard to get back into the routine of exercising and eating well. Nighttime snacking is my worst habit. I'm tired of my clothes not
    fitting well and refuse to buy bigger sizes! I think this group will be a great motivation!

I'm right there with you! Desk job, HUGE sweet tooth! It definitely takes a lot of will power! I find alternative (less guilty) treats to feed my addiction when I need to! I'll be sure to post of the recipes I've made! ;) Figure out your schedule and find what works for you! Start little if you need to, 10-20 minutes here and there until you get it balanced well and then you can add to it or just do more intense workouts. It took me awhile to get a new swing going once my classes started but I finally made it and that's what I had done to get there.

I really hope we can all hold each other up throughout the remainder of this year! Best of luck!