Week three

Options
anglyn1
anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
I'm in the middle of week 3 and still doing well. My husband is kind of halfway off the wagon. He caved and had a huge bag of movie theater popcorn Sunday night. He's an adult and can make his own decisions though so I just reiterate that his fatty liver is proof carbs are not his friend but that he's free to eat anything he wants. I will say he's done pretty well the last two days despite his lapse and even managed to lose a pound the day after. I think maybe for him any reduction of carbs is an improvement. He just feels keto is much to strict to be a lifestyle for him and he wants an eating plan he feels can be long term.

I saw my rheumatologist Monday and she is starting me on a 3 month trial of medicine to see if it improves my arthritis. Weird because last visit she said despite my lab results she didn't think I had RA but now she is saying I do fit the profile of early RA. I asked her about the keto diet and she says if I think it helps then stick with it but that she'd like to see more fruits and vegetables in my diet and she's not sure I can get them in and stay low enough for ketosis. She says most of her patients do better eating lots of high antioxidant fruits and veggies and limiting red meat. I'm not on board to limit red meat at all, lol.

So far this diet seems to have made some of my bigger joints feel a lot better. I still have some pain and stiffness. Weirdly my hands have continued to get worse as far as pain goes despite the diet but the swelling in my hands has gone down these past three weeks. I'd be interested to see if further improvements could be made on just diet alone but as I'm losing function in my hands I think maybe it's better to try the medicine and the diet together.

I'm now at the point where I'd like to add exercise. I hate cardio and really prefer weights but my body doesn't seem to. I have an issue where my top ribs keep getting pulled out of place and lifting seems to make it worse. :(

Replies

• mspr1nt
    mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm on day two of strict low carb and all I want to do is dive into a bag of cheesy Doritos. Instead, I'm going to have a cheddarey beef burger wrapped in lettuce to replace the bun and give me some of the crunch I might be craving from crisps.

Are you struggling with free weights or the machines? If you're part of a gym, maybe best to ask somebody there to show you a routine? I had issues with shin splints when rowing (!!!) and turns out all I needed to do was not use the foot straps....problem solved.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Do microwave cheese crisps. Shred extra sharp cheddar, sprinkle on a plate, nuke until crunchy. It will do that after turning bubbly. Use a like a waxed dixie plate if you can, cooks more evenly. When they are done, the edges will turn color and most of the "fat" will cook off. Sprinkle with "nacho cheese" or preferred flavor of POPCORN SEASONING. press back plate to separate and break into pieces... Enjoy!!! In my house, those are far better than any doritos!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I do free weights at home. I used to be an experienced lifter but since my joints and spine have started having issues I now can't lift any weight free or machine without my top ribs getting pulled out of position. :( I have tried physical therapy but it was no help. Right now I'm just being told not to lift and stick with low impact things that are easy on my arthritic joints. Ugh