Who fasts with Thyroid Issues? Any bad effects?

Options
Hey everyone! I used to be on here quite a bit and left for a bit and never came back.

I recently did a Whole100 and lost about 7 lbs. However, the rules are extremely strict, and I am looking for a little bit more leeway.

My only concern is that I have Hashimoto's and I'm on medication for my thyroid. I have Celiac too. I also worry about the "women shouldn't fast" crap.

Can anyone with any of these issues reassure me that i'll be okay? I feel like when I did this last time, I start getting headaches, and I don't want to go through it again!

Anything would be great. My husband said he'd be willing to do it again too.

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Fasting has helped my stomach issues immensely! I don't know what my sensitivity is/was, but taking it away 3/7ths of the time has really been a lifesaver. I have also noticed a definate drop in migraines. From 2-3 a week to that many a month. And women can/should fast, no problem. I don't have thyroid issues, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem, it might even take some of the stress of your system and help you out. I hope this helps!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I did do 5:2 for awhile and I really liked it. I always lost consistently, but I worried that it was causing more issues, so I stopped. Now I realize how it was pretty easy to do.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Burg, I would really caution you to check with your physician before starting IF. Hopefully, your doc is receptive to 5:2. Since Hashimotos is an auto-immune disorder, coupled with the fact that it affects your thyroid, the diet may not be the right one. Perhaps your doc would be willing to run more frequent blood tests during a test phase to see how or if it affects you negatively? Either way, I think having a conversation with your endocrinologist would be the way to go to make sure you don't negatively impact your health. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot in the way of human studies with IF to give you a clearer answer.
  • Usmgha
    Usmgha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mum and son have it but they have been fasting for so many year as it is a part of our religion . Never seen a problem because of it
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto, and have been fasting for 2 years this month. No side effects here, except for losing nearly 30 pounds!! Woo Hoo!! :p