Two week shake time

Options
kimgravitt3
kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
Starting my two week 5 shake a day pre-op diet. I know Doctors are all different. What was you all's pre-op like? .

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had ten days of liquid diet pre-op, protein shakes or protein soup. A nutri-bullet blender became my best friend. The first couple days were the hardest, it got easier - and post op was easier than pre-op from a hunger/craving standpoint. I just focused on following my surgeons plan. It's an exciting time!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    Four weeks and very restricted. Only 2 shakes a day. I'm so glad I'm over that part.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Everyone in my group at the hospital said this was the toughest time. You guys are right though. I just have to make up my mind and get through it lol!! I've got the grandkids this weekend, so hopefully I'll be too busy with them and not ponder on it. Of course, they are all little eating machines, but I think it will be a take out kind of weekend instead of me cooking for them.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My pre op diet is not as strict as most of you. I have to go on ketotic diet (very low carb, high protein). I have to start that 11/9 for the two weeks.

Good luck on the start of your pre op diet :)
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you and I did the same pre-op. My advice is to try as many different kinds of flavors and combinations as you can. I just did chocolate and strawberry. I gag now when I look at those half filled bags of protein powder. I got SO burned out on them.

• kimgravitt3
    Options
    martaberrich, I can sure understand why! I got the chocolate and vanilla and it's only the 1st day and I'm already sick of them!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My surgeon didn't require any special pre-op diet at all! For a few days before I was so nervous I could barely eat though.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had seven days of liquids only. I learned to love sugar free popsicles!! Four protein shakes per day (I have never had a problem with them and still enjoy them) and as much broth, popsicles, water as I wanted. I tended to use unflavored powder in some broth in the evenings just to vary it up. Basically, I white-knuckled it for a week, a small price to pay. I really don't remember the week before or the two weeks after surgery very well, so it wasn't that traumatic in the large scheme of things.

Be positive! The time will pass either way, and at least you'll keep a smile on your face!

Rob
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had the 10 day liquid diet. Just focus on the reason you're on the diet, shrinking your liver, making your surgery more successful, making things easier for the surgeon, and easier for your during recovery. Count the days off like a kid waiting for their birthday and it will be easy.
  • abadee9
    abadee9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My doc requires two weeks of the liquid diet before surgery also. I went on a liquid diet like Medifast a few years ago and I grew to love the diet because I didn't have to think about food at all. No shopping No cooking etc. I could let go of food thought entirely and it was very freeing to lose that obsession. I hope this helps you.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • karbuckle
    karbuckle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a 7 day liquid diet pre-op. It was the longest 7 days ever. It was worth it though.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    I hear you karbuckle. I'm just on day two and I'm already sick of it. I've focusing on the results. That is the only way I know to get through it.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I did lose about 10 pounds in that 2 weeks of liquid diet. That was motivating.
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on day two of a 4 shake, broth, jello, sf Popsicle diet and and i feel like i am starving. Yesterday I had to take my 9 year old son to McDonald, if that wasn't bad enough we had his birthday party at Incredible Pizza Buffet today!!!! UGH. Tomorrow I get to go to my brothers birthday party at a fancy restaurant where i love love love the food. The broth is absolutely disgusting to me, and offers no filling what so ever its like spooning water. I dont know how i will make 11 more days of this. Prayers appreciated...... because i feel weak.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to excuse yourself from these festivities as you prepare yourself for surgery, I know being a woman we always want to be there for others but during my prep I really took the time to focus on what I needed - I was doing this for me. I didn't cook for my husband, he took care of him and the kids - I don't know your situation but if you can work it out to make "you" your top priority - take some walks, read some books, check out some blogs, meditate, write in journal - enjoy your preparation without being in caught up in the social aspects of "fooddom" I think it may make it easier - I actually scheduled a card night with friends two days before surgery told them to eat before they came and offered smoothies during - it was wonderful they asked lots of questions and were super supportive and took the edge off of a trying time for me...Love yourself hard during this time <3 you are worth it!
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Mjks_mom, I made a big mistake of getting all 4 of my grandkids - ages 9, 8, 7, 6; 3 boys and the oldest being a girl, for the weekend. I wanted to spend time with them before surgery, but I'm having to cook and keep snacks. So I'm miserable. I really made it hard on myself. I'm sending all the extra food home with them in the morning. Hopefully, it will get easier. If I can get past trotting to the bathroom. (I know tmi lol)
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Mjks_mom, I made a big mistake of getting all 4 of my grandkids - ages 9, 8, 7, 6; 3 boys and the oldest being a girl, for the weekend. I wanted to spend time with them before surgery, but I'm having to cook and keep snacks. So I'm miserable. I really made it hard on myself. I'm sending all the extra food home with them in the morning. Hopefully, it will get easier. If I can get past trotting to the bathroom. (I know tmi lol)

Maybe tomorrow you can all go for a hike - make a pot of warm oatmeal and leave them to eat while you go prep for the day. Those ages are good to teach about healthy food choices and what's about to happen to Grandma, maybe enlist there help for dinner tomorrow get some flat outs (breads) some shredded cheese and sauce and veggies and have them make their own pizza's for dinner you just have to pop them in the oven for them and again excuse yourself while they eat if it bothers you. This will be a distant memory soon - best wishes on your upcoming surgery!
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did it. Went to Italian party for bros 40th and came home to broth. Was told I was grouchy. So I excused myself. Said I wasn't feeling well and left early. Tomorrow I'm sitting down with my family I live with and we're having a heart to heart. I can't keep cooking all the same foods for them as before and not suffer huge temptation. It's just not fair. Everyday my brother txts me from work " What'd you cook and have for dinner?" What part of I'm having jello and broth are they missing out on? So frustrated. Yes it's probably hunger that's making me grouchy but darn it I AM!!!
  • joysie1970
    Options
    Mjksmom so proud of you for making you the priority! Will be sending you prayers of strength and clarity ❤️ soon this will all be a blip but congrats let us know how it goes