Vitamins

Options
Are there any gummy vitamins that can be used because I practically vomit every time I have to chew a chalky chewable vitamin. Also what vitamins can be used once I'm able to swallow pills.

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Gummys don't work for the multi because they don't contain something - maybe iron? There are meltaways for pretty much everything, and those are easy to take. Several people like flinstones for the multi
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Gummies and children's vitamins are NOT complete, even if they say they are on the package. Doctors tell people to take Flintstones vitamins for the same reason parents give them to their kids. They taste good, and it's easy to trick people into taking them. But they lack a LOT of things. Compare the labels on gummies and children's vitamins with the label on a complete adult formula, and you can see the difference.

Most people end up using Centrum or a generic version of Centrum. I get the CVS brand when they are BOGO. It costs me about 13 dollars for two 360 tablet containers, or a year's supply.

Here is a good post about Flintstones:

http://wlsvitagarten.com/2011/01/16/guest-post-whats-the-fuss-about-flintstones/
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think the thing missing from the gummies is Calcium Citrate, which you definitely need unless you want to start losing teeth. I keep a stash of the gummies and an added bottle of Calcium Citrate on hand in case I cut it too close from when my vitamins are shipped for the month (I use Bariatric Fusion, which I get from Amazon). That way, I have SOMETHING just in case, but it's my backup plan, not my norm.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your calcium citrate is not taken within 2 hours of anything with iron in it. Your body ca not absorb both in the same time period. I use the centrum silver chewables (no iron) and Bariatric Advantage Calcium citrate 500mg (cinnamon flavored). ! each for breakfast and lunch, and I'ms supposed to take a 3rd multi at dinner, then iron at bedtime, but I usually forget those.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was told that because of nutrient absorbing issues, I needed to take bariatric vitamins. Also, my clinic said if you HAD to have something different, to have the Dietician look at it, evaluate it, and tell your what to supplement it with. That made sense to me. Vitamin malabsorbtion in WLS patients is a huge issue. Which is why my clinic does yearly bloodwork for vitamin deficiency.

• abadee9
    abadee9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Centrum Liquid?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think the thing missing from the gummies is Calcium Citrate, which you definitely need unless you want to start losing teeth. I keep a stash of the gummies and an added bottle of Calcium Citrate on hand in case I cut it too close from when my vitamins are shipped for the month (I use Bariatric Fusion, which I get from Amazon). That way, I have SOMETHING just in case, but it's my backup plan, not my norm.

It's not the calcium that's missing from gummy and children's vitamins. Plus, since we can only absorb about 500 mg of calcium at a time, we need to break it up into three doses per day of 500 mg each.

Comparing Centrum adult, sort of the gold standard for complete adult vitamins, and most gummies, the following is what Centrum has that gummies are missing:

Vitamin K
    Thiamin
    Riboflavin
    Niacin
    Iron
    Phosphorus
    Magnesium
    Selenium
    Copper
    Manganese
    Chromium
    Molybdenum
    Chloride
    Potassium
    Nickel
    Silicon
    Tin
    Vanadium

Flintstones "Complete" are missing:

Phosphorus
    Magnesium
    Selenium
    Manganese
    Chromium
    Molybdenum
    Chloride
    Potassium
    Nickel
    Silicon
    Tin
    Vanadium

And a lot of things that gummies and children's vitamins do have, they have in lower percentages than a truly complete adult multivitamin.

You don't need chewables or liquid. Tablets and capsules get absorbed just fine. You may want chewables for a few months after surgery when swallowing might be a little more difficult, but they aren't necessary. Chewable bariatric vitamins aren't special. In fact, one brand in particular stinks -- to get the 200% daily we need, you would have to take EIGHT per day of a product called Bariatric Fusion. And you can find complete multis for much, much lower prices than the bariatric chewables.

Don't mess around with vitamins. Deficiencies can take years to show up. Vitamins are medicine. They don't have to be tasty, or fun. Just take them, and take a good one.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I took liquid vitamins until my surgeon cleared me to take pills at 4 weeks. My other option per his instructions was to crush all the pills I had to take. I tried that as well as the liquid vitamins, and the liquids were just slightly less foul. Since 4 weeks post op, I have been taking Centrum multi for women, Hair, Skin and Nails, and a calcium supplement. Like Grimm said, you don't need the overpriced bariatric vitamins. I buy my vitamins at Costco, but Puritan's Pride online has really good deals on vitamins and so many to choose from.
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My doctor says I am supposed to take chewable until 8 weeks. I want to take my vitamins but they make me so nauseous that I can't seem to eat anything. And having to take everything multiple times a day keeps me sick to my stomach all day.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Has anyone checked out the Centrum Vitamints? I saw a commercial on them and wondered if they would work.
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was proscribed Nascrobal which is a B12 nasal spray that you take 1 time a week and it comes free with calcium, and iron and multi especially for bariatic patients called Bariativ vitamins look them up My insurance covers them for a $25 a month copay. The calcium is horrible and very very chalky but i like the other stuff, I take Viactiv calcium which the surgeon said i can take first six week weeks even tho its calcium carbonate and not citrate but then i have to switch over. but by then i can take capsules he said. Win Win. Love the B12 nose spray tho it makes me feel so good each week, i never miss that does.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Dragonflies- the nausea might be from the iron. Do you take the vitamins on an empty stomach? I try to take them shortly after I eat a "meal" (using chewables and a tiny amount of water to get the flavor out of my mouth), or after I'm halfway through a protein shake.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Vitamins on a full stomach, is what I've been told for years. BTW, it is the B vitamins that make me green. So I take one after every meal (i have 3 ) so I don't OD on B vitamins and get queasy.
  • KSMussey
    KSMussey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    dragonflies6; when you get to the stage you can swallow pills take a look at Thorne Research Basic Nutriens 2/day.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOTMGTU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01
    They are easy to take capsules and only 2/day give you everything you need except Iron.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was swallowing pills before I left the hospital. VSG. Haven't had any trouble with pills, but learned years ago never to take them on an empty stomach.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Both the nutritionist and my physician have stated to not do the gummies or anything like that due to the VSG. They state that have a tendency to get stuck and can cause irritation, so I have just not used those and stuck with the chewables instead.

I think that between the water and spacing of pills, I feel like I have shoving my face all throughout the day. Starts off with 2 thyroid pills, wait 1 hr, start morning shake (takes me about two hours to finish) then start with the calicium citrate, wait an hour, take chewable vitation, wait 1 hr, start next one, wait, oh yes, drink drink drink water too and continue throughout the day till all those and other meds are done. Add another shake for lunch and pills and water. For bed, can't miss all of those pills as well.

BUT - I have a followup with regular doc next week, and we are going to see about taking me off the blood pressure pill and rechecking my thyroid levels to see if those should be as well.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I use the Bariatric Advantage capsules and have been since 3mo post-op. I just couldn't handle the chewables, but I did them for the first 3 months to prevent any possible issues.