My 1 yr. anniversary of Stronglifts!

Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
wow, I actually stuck with something for an entire year! I love what the program has done for me. I've gotten stronger, to be sure. Mostly, it helped me make exercise a regular part of my life & I love it. Do I still have work to do? Yes. I am trying to shed more fat, especially in my lower body. But it comes off where it wants to. I just discovered intermittent fasting and I am finding it much easier to stick with my deficit. Honestly, that has been a real struggle for me over this past year. I've been much more rigorous the last 2 weeks. I don't have a before photo because I hated how I looked and honestly didn't think it would get better. But here is my "now". I'm 46, 5'2" & currently 128.4lbs, down from 137 (140 postpartum).el2du1h7dani.jpg

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    You look amazing!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    You look great, really inspiring.

Intermittent fasting is interesting - I've seen it work really well for a friend, but it sent me into weird binging behaviour one day, not wanting to eat at all the next. I'm better just having a small deficit most days. But everyone has their own way!
  • Sumiblue
    Aw, thanks! It's scary to post a photo like that, for me. I'm only doing 16:8 fasting & it helps me keep my deficit & I don't snack. But I have heard that fasting can cause binges for other people. Because I'm small & over 40, my calorie allotment is pretty small. I find 2 meals day works better and doesn't feel restrictive. I would not be able to do 5:2 fasts or go 20 hrs. I like food too much. Once I get down to 118-120 I want to reverse diet & put on some muscle.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Awesome job! You look great.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    wow . . . you look wonderful.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited October 2015
    You are so inspiring. We have similar stats except i'm way heavier than you are. I'm 45, 5'1", and currently 140lbs. give or take a few on a different day. I'm trying to get down to at least 130lbs by January althoughI have to tweak my eating habits. I'll keep sticking with SL though and add some cardio (that's my thing).
  • Sumiblue
    ^^^you can do it!! I was 140 postpartum & my usual weight was 124. It takes time but you will get there. Diet is key, I've learned. Things started happening when I got serious about my deficit along with regular exercise.
    There is a woman I follow on Instagram who is a heavy lifter. She is petite, started at 140, lost until she was in the 115 range, started lifting and she looks amazing. She has been reverse dieting & she eats & lifts a lot! That is my goal: eat a lot to lift a lot!
    Thanks for all the nice comments-I'm happy today
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    You look great! Great job!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    That is my goal: eat a lot to lift a lot!

Ha, me too - Like you, I'm small (4' 10.5") and over 40 (47) so anything that gets me a bit more food and wine is a good thing...

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    amazing!!! you look incredible!!
  • Sumiblue
    ☺️
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Agree. What a great effort! You'll be eating lots and lifting lots (more) in no time.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    You look absolutely fabulous, girl! Just goes to show that following a consistent plan really works and we can look awesome, even into our 40's and beyond. I love what Stronglifts has done for me. I hear you about getting more food (and wine @ariadnula!). It stinks for us shorties :(
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    @Sumiblue you look awesome! And I give you so much credit for posting your pic!

If you don't me asking, what are your cal intake and macros?
  • Sumiblue
    Thanks! My calorie goal is 1330
    Protein-102 g
    Fat-51
    Carb-115

I've only really gotten serious about my deficit very recently. I hope to lose fat more steadily now.
  • Sumiblue
    I found a "before". This is probably around 140. Taken more than a year ago before I started working out at all. When I started SL I was at 137, so very similar.4xgq30xii9je.jpg
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Wow. Amazing what we can do if we put our minds to it. I guess I'll have to cut some of my calories since I eat about 1600 calories on the days I work out. So is your calorie goal/intake include your extra workout calories? I'd be starving if I stayed at 1330 calories.
  • Sumiblue
    I mostly do weight training & it doesn't burn a lot. If I do some cardio I will eat more like 1400-1500. I am doing a 16:8 fast. Basically, skip breakfast and eat around 11:30-12. Its easier for me to keep my deficit with 2 meals & keeps cravings away. I'm that because I am trying to get all my calories in before 7:30-8:00 that I am just not as hungry. I get to about 1200 calories & I can quit. I make myself eat them, though because I don't want to undereat. I was eating 1700-1800 calories before & my weight didn't go down.
  • Sumiblue
    & everybody's needs are different. If you are more active you need more. I couldn't stick to my deficit before I tried IF (intermittent fasting). If I ate even a small breakfast I just stayed hungry all day. Now I feel like 1330 is so many calories to get in during my eating window.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    You look terrific Sumi!! I am similar age and height as you. I've got more to lose though! (SW 155,CW 135, GW 120) I finally found a deficit (1300-1400) and eating style that works for me. I also can't wait to get to either recomp or reverse diet! You'll be there before you know it!