Exercise and LCFH?

Options
HappyKite
HappyKite Posts: 36 Member
I have been doing this WOE for just under two weeks now and am loving it and the effects it is having on my body and well being.
I am an off/on runner and would like to be more on than off at the moment! I went for my first run in about 6 weeks last night, and obviously the first since I started LCing.
It was HARD, which I was expecting and I felt dreadful afterwards. Soon felt better with a couple of glasses of water and a spoonful of salt.
Now, I know some of this was because I haven't ran recently, but I think some of it was the LC effect.
From what I have read, it should get better as I become fat adapted in 4-6 weeks, but in the meantime, any ideas to make it easier?
Thanks

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When you become fat adapted it will be easier as you say. I find I generally start from a lower point energy-wise than I would do when I'm eating more carbs, but I don't get the drop off in energy because my body is already burning fat as fuel so it doesn't need to 'switch' over. I would say try reducing the intensity for the next few runs, slow down and maybe don't run as far as you would normally.

My running is probably best described as 'inconsistent', I'll have a few weeks of running 3-4 times per week and then months of not running at all. I've been low carb now for 6 months and took my exercise down to nearly nothing for the first few weeks, then introduced various things back in, getting used to doing one before I added in the next. Running is the last thing I added back in, but for the last 2 months I've been running 3 times per week quite happily on a run/walk plan. I'm not suggesting you wait 4 months before you start running again (I also do cycling, swimming, karate and a couple of strength training sessions per week so I chose to rebuild these before I concentrated on running), but be aware that it will take you some time to adapt to your new regime. Also, if running feels too hard at first maybe try a run/walk schedule, I find with the improved endurance and reduced recovery times that LCHF gives me that a 1 minute walk break feels like pressing a reset button and I start my next run interval feeling as fresh as if it's the first even when I've been running for an hour or more, it's allowed me to increase the length of my runs much faster than just running would do.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello, I exercise 4 times a week I do cardio and strengh training. I feel exhausted afterwards only when I haven't been getting enough salt, magnesium and potassium. Maybe if you drink broth daily add some supplements and drink water while you exercise you'll feel better.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am a daily exerciser - step aerobics 2x per week, weights or weights/cardio 2x per week, Insanity 1x per week, running 1x per week. When I started LCHF, I didn't really notice any exhaustion or performance declines in my step, cardio/weights, or Insanity classes. But running--ugh! I would struggle through the workout, then feel horrible for a few hours (often vomiting). This didn't get better until about 2 months into this WOE. Not sure what it is about running that was so much harder on me than everything else, but that was my experience.

Now, though, I'm running farther and faster than I ever have. I'm up to 11 miles at about 10:20 average per mile. And no vomiting! You'll get there (wherever "there" is for you). Just listen to your body, persevere through the next month or so, and it should be smooth sailing!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    +1 to salt. If you target about 5g/d sodium, you'll not only avoid the "keto flu," but you'll also feel better during and after exercise.

FWIW, I took over a month off from both exercise and from low-carb. I restarted both about a week ago, and I was able to run 5K yesterday with no problem. It wasn't my fastest pace, but it FELT GOOD. :)
  • HappyKite
    HappyKite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's encouraging to know it will get better with time. I think it is partly an electrolyte thing as I felt much better as soon as I ate the salt. I might try a spoonful before running next time.
  • mspr1nt
    mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, but I'll plus on the salt. I've been using a spoonful of Bovril in hot water to up my sodium and haven't struggled much through anything (including intervals on the treadmill). Felt a bit more tired when pushing myself, but fine afterwards.