Low Carb Meat Snack ~ Zero carb ~ Found!

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
I was at Kroger and found some nice meat snacks that have zero carbs and they don't need refrigeration, which would make it nice for taking on car trips/travel. They have a little fat in them too.

They are made by Kowalski. They are called, "Hunters Smoked Sausage". They had about 6 different flavors.

ONLY 2, of the 6 flavors, were Zero carb:

Hot & Spicy
Original

All the other flavors, had from 1-3 grams of sugar in them (BBQ, Teriyaki, etc) so read the labels.

I haven't tried them yet, (fasting today).

They only cost $2.49 for 3 oz (5 sausages). Here are some pics:

p7r96yz85f2s.pngakv45ghq70ue.pngcrf60lx8eg86.png8nemq6e1cj9k.png

I hope this helps,
Dan the Man from Michigan
Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Nice!!! I need that this weekend!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    They look good too! Great to carry with, just in case!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hey Dan, what are the ingredients? I'm curious. Would you take a picture of the ingredients and post them too please? So far the only jerky sticks I've found to be zero carb that I like the best are called "Nick's Sticks"...but it never hurts to keep an eye out for new products when you find them. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Cool, web search shows that Sam's Club also sells them, and you can buy online at kowality.com
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    They are also at Costco - I have tons at home right now since it comes in such a large package. They are full of preservatives but I figure once in a while won't hurt me! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Are they with the jerky or in a diff section?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Are they with the jerky or in a diff section?

Wants to know. Goes to Kroger every week. :smile:
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Finding a low enough carb Jerry has been difficult for me. The "meat sticks" however, have been different. Costco Oberto smoked pepperoni sticks are a life saver.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hey Dan, what are the ingredients? I'm curious. Would you take a picture of the ingredients and post them too please? So far the only jerky sticks I've found to be zero carb that I like the best are called "Nick's Sticks"...but it never hurts to keep an eye out for new products when you find them. :)

Yes pls!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    From what I can make out from the first picture, ingredients looks like:

Pork, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, MSG, Garlic, Sodium Eryth-something, Sodium Nitrate, Potassium something something.

The MSG will be a no-no for some people.

Editing to add, if I am correct about dextrose being the 4th ingredient, why doesn't it list a sugar content in the nutrition facts?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Pork, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, MSG, Garlic, Sodium Eryth-something, Sodium Nitrate, Potassium something something.

Editing to add, if I am correct about dextrose being the 4th ingredient, why doesn't it list a sugar content in the nutrition facts?

OH NO! I didn't see the MSG!!!! I used to eat that in my 20's, I had a salt shaker of straight MSG. I used to put it on everything, because it made everything taste so good.

Then after a while it gave me a racing heart and scared me. This was before the internet. It was hard to figure out what was going on. So I stopped eating it.

Oh, well... I'll guess I'll have to try one anyway, it would probably be a minuscule amount. Or maybe I can take them back? (I hate taking things back!).

Thanks Deksgrl for catching that...

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 197.9, 116 pounds down, 19 to go. 13.5 months on diet
  • monikker
    Options
    Lol.

People keep talking about pepperoni snacks. I want some of those. No krogers around here but there is Walmart and heb
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I believe (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) That if the product contains less than 1g of the actual sugar per serving, they can say it is zero grams. At least that was the last thing I heard in Canada, so it's likely the same sort of idea there. So, you do also have to look at what they consider a serving. Some companies will make a serving something ridiculously small so that they can legally say it's zero grams of sugar even though you can see full well sugar is an ingredient. (I once wrote a really angry letter to a protein drink company that their serving size was ridiculous and misleading and I would never buy from them again because of that. The individual (travel) packets said 30g protein on the nutrition label but if you checked the top where it says how big the serving was, it was for 3 packs. So really there was only 10g of protein in each package! I mean, I get it, but come on. Just tell me how much is in one package, but they didn't because it was to be purposefully misleading because if you bought 3 packages, your serving was almost 10$ for one drink!) But back to our pepperoni sticks...

So. Keeping that in mind, even though it SAYS zero sugar, you probably don't want to make them a staple of your diet. Not that anyone here was intending to live on these alone I'm sure. Just saying.

Edit: but, in my opinion, if I'm stuck and my choice is between this and say a chocolate bar, piece of pizza or other super carbed up foods... I'll take this any day. So, yeah, as @DittoDan says, great for travelling or emergencies. :smile: In my opinion.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »

I believe (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) That if the product contains less than 1g of the actual sugar per serving, they can say it is zero grams. At least that was the last thing I heard in Canada, so it's likely the same sort of idea there. So, you do also have to look at what they consider a serving. Some companies will make a serving something ridiculously small so that they can legally say it's zero grams of sugar even though you can see full well sugar is an ingredient. (I once wrote a really angry letter to a protein drink company that their serving size was ridiculous and misleading and I would never buy from them again because of that. The individual (travel) packets said 30g protein on the nutrition label but if you checked the top where it says how big the serving was, it was for 3 packs. So really there was only 10g of protein in each package! I mean, I get it, but come on. Just tell me how much is in one package, but they didn't because it was to be purposefully misleading because if you bought 3 packages, your serving was almost 10$ for one drink!) But back to our pepperoni sticks...

So. Keeping that in mind, even though it SAYS zero sugar, you probably don't want to make them a staple of your diet. Not that anyone here was intending to live on these alone I'm sure. Just saying.

Edit: but, in my opinion, if I'm stuck and my choice is between this and say a chocolate bar, piece of pizza or other super carbed up foods... I'll take this any day. So, yeah, as @DittoDan says, great for travelling or emergencies. :smile: In my opinion.

Agree with that. I have Slim Jims on hand for when I'm out and get ambushed or at the inlaws (the Carb-a-Lots) and get ambushed. Better than wolfing down carbage. Not healthy as a diet staple, but for emergencies, it's not going to wreck you.

• KarlaYP
    Options
    @monikker, the pepperoni are located near sausage and bacon. Is the same used for pizza. Lay a layer of pepperoni on a paper plate (some put a paper towel under the pepperoni, I don't) Microwave for one minute and then allow to cool a bit (if you can stand waiting, lol!). Will be crispy and can be used for dips. Yummy!
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    msg gives me an instant, horrible, nauseating migraine that lasts hours or days!

trader joe's does have some meat sticks that don't have any msg though! they're pretty yummy.

i don't really snack anymore though, since going zc. pretty much just eat twice a day.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm with you @tmdalton849! I don't really snack anymore either. Lack of hunger has eliminated that. I still will look at these types of snack foods out of habit. Will even buy some, but then not eat it (thankfully hubby does, so it's not a waste). Eating as I do now I really don't need it. Two meals a day is plenty of fuel for me!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    There is no way I would be tempted to eat MSG, sugar and nitrates in my meat, eeww. Not for me thanks.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I found some at a couple HEBs here in Austin. Dukes Smoked Sausage. 1 carb for 2 sticks for original and hot and spicy. $3.87 for 5 oz. Find by jerky. Looks pretty clean as far preservatives. Not sure if I know how to attach pics but I'll try. Love them! sewpisd5fa2e.jpg
    jy02ih0cr22t.jpg
    0fr6zsz4tma3.jpg
  • monikker
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @leighn62 Dude you're awesome, probably 90% of people on here have no idea what HEB is but I'm in Austin and have been walking by the jerky section at my store - didn't see these but they look better than what my local store has...what HEBs did you see them at?